Moving To Texas!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I am glad to hear you guys are trying to better the rep and service, it has got a bad rap lately. What kind of things are you guys doing to improve? WHAT NO COLD EXPOSURES!

Yeah, it's been much needed. We're creating ways to start letting guys out of EMS and back into fire to address the burnout issue. Some huge SMOP revisions are in the very near future, adding some new pieces of equipment, and tons of new drugs. I've personally noticed some better efforts at QA/QI for the crews. And it seems like (perhaps out of a little culture change), less and less guys are getting dragged in to EMS kicking and screaming. Moral is finally getting better in EMS here.

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, it's been much needed. We're creating ways to start letting guys out of EMS and back into fire to address the burnout issue. Some huge SMOP revisions are in the very near future, adding some new pieces of equipment, and tons of new drugs. I've personally noticed some better efforts at QA/QI for the crews. And it seems like (perhaps out of a little culture change), less and less guys are getting dragged in to EMS kicking and screaming. Moral is finally getting better in EMS here.

Do all you can to stop the spread of Acadian, I know they have closed in on some of your old response area.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Do all you can to stop the spread of Acadian, I know they have closed in on some of your old response area.

Stop the spread of Acadian? Ouch. Acadian hasn't closed on any of SAFD's response area.

Sent from my electronic overbearing life controller

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
They're like herpes, once they're in, there's no getting rid of them ;)

And actually, I do believe there were two or three areas that y'all took from us (though I doubt any of our guys were complaining :p )

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I want to say about 30, with a few 8 to 12hr peak ambulances

OP
OP
R

RiderMedic

Forum Crew Member
Over a month now and I've haven't gotten anywhere really, despite follow ups. 1 already said no and 1 took their ad down. Other than that, no interviews, no phone calls, not even my references have been called. I've applied to the following companies and most of them were showing openings on their websites. If anyone can suggest any other company it'd be appreciated.

Funny . . . in 10 years of EMS I've never had a problem getting employed before lol. In fact, it was usually quite quick.

Anyways, thank you.

The List (so far):

Acadian
AMR
CareFlite
MedicOne
City of La Porte
Galveston County
Guardian EMS
Clute EMS
Ventura EMS
Halo Flight
Reach Air
Aransas County EMS
Matagorda County EMS
First Medical Response of Texas
Children's Medical Center (Dallas)
Omniflight
Fort Bend County EMS
East Texas Medical Center
MedStar
Bay Star EMS

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
That bad? Worrying, considering I'm soon to be in the same boat.

OP
OP
R

RiderMedic

Forum Crew Member
That bad? Worrying, considering I'm soon to be in the same boat.

Honestly, I have no idea what's going on. Like I said, never had a problem before and most of the companies I listed had openings so they are, supposedly, hiring. One even stated SIX openings.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm from NY that they just aren't taking my apps seriously. Sad, cause I'm going to be needing a job in place before I can move because I don't know any apartment complex that rents to the unemployed lol and I'd hate to lease a place in city A and then get a job offer in city B 5 hours away.

:wacko:

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Have you applied for a Texas Cert yet? The state is taking forever to process new cert apps. Which Acadian area did you apply for?

OP
OP
R

RiderMedic

Forum Crew Member
Have you applied for a Texas Cert yet? The state is taking forever to process new cert apps. Which Acadian area did you apply for?

I've had my cert since August and back in October I had applied to San Antonio branch (which STILL shows an opening) and today I also applied to the Dallas branch just to increase my chances lol.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
I've had my cert since August and back in October I had applied to San Antonio branch (which STILL shows an opening) and today I also applied to the Dallas branch just to increase my chances lol.

Im pretty sure San Antonio still has openings and shortly will probably have more. Ill ask my wife when she gets home how the staffing is looking.

Send me a PM with your name and info and Ill ask our HR rep what a status might be on Monday.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
We have a Dollar General...

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Williamson County EMS (Hires in Feb)
Austin-Travis County EMS (Hiring Now)
Montgomery County EMS (Hiring Now)
Harris County ESD#1 (Not sure)
Fayette County EMS
Washington County EMS
Waller County EMS
Rockwall County EMS

There are some more for you, I tried listing them in order of pay for you but I may have gotten 1 or two mixed up.

I can't believe you haven't gotten a Call back from Galveston or some of those larger Privates

bigdogems

Forum Lieutenant
Just throwing it out there. You can look into off shore

OP
OP
R

RiderMedic

Forum Crew Member
Williamson County EMS (Hires in Feb)
Austin-Travis County EMS (Hiring Now)
Montgomery County EMS (Hiring Now)
Harris County ESD#1 (Not sure)
Fayette County EMS
Washington County EMS
Waller County EMS
Rockwall County EMS

There are some more for you, I tried listing them in order of pay for you but I may have gotten 1 or two mixed up.

I can't believe you haven't gotten a Call back from Galveston or some of those larger Privates

Thanks for the list and neither can I. 4 years of critical care transport experience doesn't mean much, I guess lol.

Actually, I did apply to Montgomery County on November 4th. Still says in "HR Review." Just like all the other job portals lol