Moving to Irvine. EMT-B

martor

Forum Crew Member
I got accepted to UCI and I am going to move close to campus. I am looking for a EMT-B job to pay for it. What I am asking you is to recommend a high paying EMT job. My focus at this point is the pay and not much less at this point.
- EMT-B cert in San Diego.
- In June I will get 1 year experience at a BLS/IFT company (but it is a small company). BTW it is not full time. I got only 707 hours at this point.
- no other certs like EKG or King airways.
- Part time job
- would prefer an ER tech job ( but I will look into that myself)

Help me out guys. What companies should I apply for? And do you have any suggestion?
Thanks ahead of time

OP
OP
M

martor

Forum Crew Member
I don't know if you know this, but "high paying EMT job" does not exist in SoCal.

:rofl: Fair point. But being paid 8.50 is not an option. Got any more advice? or you just here to depress me?:glare:

AnthonyTheEmt

Forum Lieutenant
:rofl: Fair point. But being paid 8.50 is not an option. Got any more advice? or you just here to depress me?:glare:

Nope. I'm just here to remind to be realistic. Medics in SoCal start at around $15/hour, so what do realistically expect EMT's to make. So whether you like it or not, $8.50-$9/hour is probably realistic.

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief

Most you are going to make realistically is 10/hr. Your exp doesn't matter honestly. Not in 99% of so cal atleast.

Thricenotrice

Forum Lieutenant
What you require is a tech job. Look into saddleback hospital, mission Hosp, kaiser ($), hoag Hosp, western medical center (Santa Ana)

Those are the big ones

OP
OP
M

martor

Forum Crew Member
What you require is a tech job. Look into saddleback hospital, mission Hosp, kaiser ($), hoag Hosp, western medical center (Santa Ana)

Those are the big ones

Thanks. Do you think I should look into EKG certs myself or will the hospital want me to go through the hospital sponsored ones.

energystar

Forum Crew Member
EKG and phlebotomy are going to be your best bet to put you above the other applicants. ER tech positions are much more difficult to obtain in SoCal than ambulance jobs because of the pay. You really need to know someone on the inside as most hospitals only hire when one tech leaves their spot. Is there any student employment opportunities through UCI, such as an on campus clinic?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
EKG and phlebotomy are going to be your best bet to put you above the other applicants. ER tech positions are much more difficult to obtain in SoCal than ambulance jobs because of the pay. You really need to know someone on the inside as most hospitals only hire when one tech leaves their spot. Is there any student employment opportunities through UCI, such as an on campus clinic?

This. A lot of hospitals will not post openings for ER tech positions. It is normally done internally or by knowing someone who knows someone.

I have a friend who just got hired at a big teaching hospital here in SoCal and he was only able to put in an application because he had contacts with in the hospital. Starting pay for him is $12.87/hr because he has no medical/EMS experience.

Forum Ride Along
Look into special events or instructor gigs for BLS, I only lasted on the rig for 1 year for those crazy low wages. You can make 18$-25$ if you can find the right place.