Motorcycle EMS riders????

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Anyhow looking at the insurance for the Hyo is outrageous. I can get full coverage for the Honda and Kawi for a year for less than my car insurance cost for a month.

The Hyo? $1,000+ a year.

How much is the Honda/kawi?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Minimal coverage at ~70, basic coverage at ~140, full coverage with every bell and whistle for less than $330.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Minimal coverage at ~70, basic coverage at ~140, full coverage with every bell and whistle for less than $330.

Progressive? What displacement, year, and model? 10k/20k and 40 coverage with total loss?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Honda CBR250R-- Choice Package: $378
Custom package of 50/100, 30/60 uninsured, total loss with $500 ded., and roadside assistance: $554.
(Subtract $20 from total with anti-lock brakes)

Ninja 250R: Same

Hyosung GT 250R: Choice: $1,246
Custom package as above: $1,614

That's having no violations, but stating I rent instead of own my home.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Honda CBR250R-- Choice Package: $378
Custom package of 50/100, 30/60 uninsured, total loss with $500 ded., and roadside assistance: $554.
(Subtract $20 from total with anti-lock brakes)

Ninja 250R: Same

Hyosung GT 250R: Choice: $1,246
Custom package as above: $1,614

That's having no violations, but stating I rent instead of own my home.

Meh. I like the hyo. I'll pony up the cash and get one. (Really leaning toward GT650R now)

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
So I was talking to one of the EMTs that came in at shift change since he was on a bike. Turns out he's selling it.

A 2000 Suzuki GSX-R with 13k miles, that he's had since it was brand new, for only $2,600.

Hmmm...

4989093_1.jpg

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Forget that... I found my bike. The Kawasaki Versys. Found a dealership selling new 2009s for only $5,000, which is only $1000 more than a Ninja 250 (And over $2,500 less than a current model Versys). Granted the Versys is a 650, but from what I've read it's still a decent beginner bike, especially if you take your time with it.

Plus it looks sexy.

kawasaki%20versys%20%2008.jpg

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Forget that... I found my bike. The Kawasaki Versys. Found a dealership selling new 2009s for only $5,000, which is only $1000 more than a Ninja 250 (And over $2,500 less than a current model Versys). Granted the Versys is a 650, but from what I've read it's still a decent beginner bike, especially if you take your time with it.

Plus it looks sexy.

kawasaki%20versys%20%2008.jpg

Not a fan of the style. :unsure:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
How about the ER-6N, then? Kinda wished it came with a windscreen stock... they say the wind gets unbearable above 60 without one on the bike.

Kawasaki_ER-6n__10__2.jpg

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
So I was talking to one of the EMTs that came in at shift change since he was on a bike. Turns out he's selling it.

A 2000 Suzuki GSX-R with 13k miles, that he's had since it was brand new, for only $2,600.

Hmmm...

4989093_1.jpg

13k can be a lot of miles on this type of bike. People don't know how to ride em and they shred the clutch or they use em for lots of stop and go and that just tears the engine up. Never buy the bike of a first time rider if you can help it they tend to be pretty shredded (unless you can get it for the right price). I rode for a while but honestly I just didn't have the guts for it. Just too many people out there that are gonna try and run me down. Spring for the Uninsured/under insured insurance.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm partial to sportbikes.

I'm going to go ahead and go with the GT250R. I don't mind upgrading in a year if need be. It'll hit 100, and it rides smooth. What more can I ask for in a starter bike? I know myself, if I got a bike that could go 160, I'd try to go 160.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
A street-riding man speaks!

Time to resurrect this thread...

I've just decided on getting a motorcycle, and I know at least one other member is as well.

So, for those that haven't posted in here (and even the ones that have), here are a couple of questions to get this thing rolling again...

What do you ride?
When/why did you start riding?
First bike?

I'm going to play with this a bit because I might have a message or two for you all. I hope you'll hear them!

My 1st partner in Florida was a dirt track (oval) motorcycle racer. He taught me to ride on his Kawasaki KR750 triple, the fastest production motorcycle the world had seen up to that time (1974).

To start me off, he parked the ambulance across the end of our driveway, set me up at the garage end pointing me toward it and then had me learn to start and stop, at his direction. He knew the LAST thing I'd do is hit the rig and that would preserve his bike! Remember, this is a bike with ZERO lag time between tweaking the throttle and going...

George spent two weeks teaching me EVERYTHING he knew about biking. I swear it was Boot Camp! He dragged me to parking lots, beaches, back streets, and highways breaking me in point by point. Why? Because he knew street biking was VERY serious business.

My teacher imposed a respect and awareness on me that carried me through 30 years of biking (almost) without an injury (though plenty of falls and one was a doozy I'll tell you about sometime!)

Why? Because by knowing what he knew, he couldn't be casual about helping me begin to ride. If I killed myself on a bike, George HAD TO know that he had done EVERYTHING he could to teach me right.

I ended up buying a KZ400 as my first. George advised me for street riding that was a minimum and that I shouldn't spend too much because I would be sure to want something bigger very soon. Keep that in mind when you start.

I see a lot of small cc bikes being spoken about and wonder to myself because what I found is that to be able to respond to an emergency situation spontaneously and with control it takes a combination of weight, maneuverability, torque, acceleration and damn good stopping power with balance.

You have to get out of your own way first, and frankly, I don't see much of that with smaller bikes ridden on the street -- dirt or otherwise! In a nutshell, only buy something that you can feel confident on. What that means is try a lot of bikes, of all sizes, before you commit; but REMEMBER;

THE most common factor in motorcycle accidents on the street is the rider was unfamiliar with his/her bike. Did you hear that? Not age, not level of intoxication, not experience even, but experience on THAT particular bike!

Here's something to mull over; have you ever thought of it? 50% of defensive driving on a motorcycle is this: You gotta make sure they see you! You have to train yourself to not only know where you are, but what they can see and what they can't. That's another thing to consider when choosing a ride.

From there, I got a Yamaha 650 vertical twin (a Triumph without the leaks!) and then another after #1 and I hit a VW bug at about 70MPH (that's the tickler), and then, my last ten years of riding, a 1983 BMW R100 RT. A quarter million miles might be right from '74 to about 2004. I didn't really keep track but every year as a medic I arranged at least a month off to tour and I had no cars for a good ten of those years in FL and CA where weather made it possible.

On my deathbed, what I would likely feel most proud of in my life is that I refused to "show" anyone how to ride unless they committed at least ONE INTENSIVE WEEK with me; I'm talking at least four hours a day, I call the shots! (Here's to ya, George!) We start in a parking lot and don't leave it until I am CERTAIN the basics have been mastered.

As it happened the only two people who took me up on it were my best friends, one who I prepared to take a tour of the East coast (2,500 mi.), and the other a trip on the West coast (4,000). They each rode about 10 years without incident.

Add all that into working five years in the Daytona Beach area as a medic which is five years working Motorcycle Week (including coverage of the Daytona 200) and working up almost every kind of crackup there is, well, what I'm saying is...

IF YOU THINK FOR ONE SECOND IT CAN'T HAPPEN TO YOU,
YOU'RE COOKED!

Prepare. Please, prepare well.

And I have this to say about helmets. Hawaii has no helmet laws, which IMHO is stupid; at least three people last year on Maui went to their Makers unsheathed! But even though I don't want to pay for it directly or indirectly and I'd miss you, I honestly don't care whether YOU wear one or not when you ride, is that fair?

But you damn well better carry at all times a helmet in good shape for your passenger and REQUIRE it be worn until you are positively sure a clear choice and preference has been made. If YOU offer any preference, please let it be that they DO wear it!

If why doesn't make sense to you immediately then go to the next thread, you've tracked nothing here.

If you're going to bike, death needs to be your adviser! And, to be honest, there were many times (after about 20 years of riding) when, in moments, I'd think to myself, "If I got killed on my bike this instant, I'd be okay because biking has given me some of the most memorable, outrageous and beautiful moments of my life. All that's left is a Big Thank You for the living that biking made so worthwhile!"

POSTSCRIPT: I live on Maui. It is 100% motorcycle-riding orgasm! The road to Hana (which I drive professionally in a van) has 617 curves and 54 one-lane bridges -- and that's just half-way around the volcano -- we're not even talking going around it or UP it! It slinks up and down incredible cliffs, hugging the coast with many sheer drops, blind curves and two-way traffic which includes dump-trucks.

My Beemer still sits in storage in California. After thirty mind-bending years, I decided not to press my luck any more.

Be careful out there. Better yet, Be Aware!

your friendly firetender

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
Quite actively considering a Duc - Monster 696 (or 796).

5606736346_f672d778d1_b.jpg

I like that it's kind of a cross between a balls-out sport bike and a more comfortable cruiser, plus the lines on it remind me of something Indiana Jones wouldn't mind riding.

Sorry Linuss, but that Versys looks like a dirt bike. The ER-6N is obviously a lot closer to what I'm looking at, but then I'm not in Texas - my daily commute is about 15 miles, and I wouldn't be putting in 500 mile days on this ever, probably.

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
Keep in mind, regardless of how pretty the bike is, how much it shines in the sun, how fast it is... etc... The old saying "There are 2 types of riders; Those that have gone down, and those that are about to"

It's true. So be prepared to save a few extra bucks for repairs to paint and parts, and always make sure you're covered for medical expenses regardless of insurance.

I was hit on the freeway 2 years ago. Guy that hit me only had minimum liability. His insurance was only good for 15k, my hospital bills were 92k.

I ride 10k-12k miles a year on average, not much by some peoples standards. I will say this, I"ve never seen a crotch rocket without scrapes from being laid down, and it's a 5-1 ratio of scraping sport bikes off the freeway vs. cruisers.

They call 'em donor cycles for a reason... be careful out there, whatever you ride.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
About to take the final riding exam for my MSF class. Ordering my bike on Wednesday, as soon as I get my cycle endorsement. Bike should be shipped in, and assembled by Saturday.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I was very close to buying a 2010 Ninja 250r last summer but had to use the money for more important things. I love those bikes, I have a lot of friends with larger sport bikes and I never felt right on them. But I was extremely comfortable and confident on the 250. I will probably get one soon once I pay for all my nursing books/supplies ($1300 for this semester :sad:). With gas being this high I think I can finally justify buying one other than just for fun, especially with the amount of driving and traffic I will encounter going to class downtown every day.

Also since most people consider it a beginner bike they get bored with them fast and you can usually buy them with few miles for cheap. I just wish they could update the 500r to look like the 250r.

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
^^ That pic is such a catch 22 for me...

Job security, but stupid rice rocket riders are the ones that are causing my insurance rates to be so high, so it's a tough thing.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
^^ That pic is such a catch 22 for me...

Job security, but stupid rice rocket riders are the ones that are causing my insurance rates to be so high, so it's a tough thing.

First thing I thought when I saw that picture: "Nice legs."