Motorcycle EMS riders????

JonnyNRoy

Forum Probie
Are there any other motorcycle riders out there? If so post and lets ride....

berkeman

Forum Lieutenant
Dirt or street? MX practice when I can (mostly with my son). Street is mostly commuting now on my sportbike -- too dangerous to have fun off-track.

OP
OP
J

JonnyNRoy

Forum Probie
I street ride, I also live on a rach so do the dirt also. I love to just get on the bike and go. Great for a stress relief......

phideux

Forum Captain
I'm not riding right now, but soon. I have a 1975 Harley, I took it apart for a rebuild. I'm in the putting back together stage now. Motor is in the frame, wheels are on. I need to paint the tank/fenders, rewire, and a few little odds and ends. Rebuilt the motor. Hopefully It'll be back together in another month or two. It will be my transport back and forth to school. I also race jetskis.B)

Motojunkie

Forum Lieutenant
Ride every chance I get! And being that I live in Florida, I get to ride a lot.

I have a supermotard WR450 that I ride around. It's a BLAST.

IMG_1807.jpg

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
Well lets see.. I've rode moto since I was like ten. I used to race semi pro til I got hurt during practice. I have a 2009 ninja zx10r that is my fun fast bike and also my track bike. For my commuter I have a 92 yamaha seca II xj600.. not very powerful but good on gas. I also have my dads 1981 honda cb750 that only has like 8000 original miles and its all decked out. I also have a kawasaki 250 dirk bike that I ride when I can.

NickD

Forum Crew Member
Just finishing up my second build . . .

Garage.jpg

Red1.jpg

Red7-1.jpg

One downside of my job (our jobs if you ride) is attending to motorcycle accidents, but not why you'd think.

It's the attitude of non-riding co-workers and fire guys who act like, "Yeah, motorcycles, what did the guy expect!" But except for a few cases of high siding a curve or riding ETOH most motorcycle accidents I see are caused by inattentive cagers.

Here's a great motorcycle PSA from Norway. I wish they'd run these types of "in your face" adverts on TV here in the States.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOGyqO8QdF8

:)

NickD

Forum Crew Member
>>nice ride!!! How long did it take?<<

Thanks, this one took my almost two years. Money (isn't it always) is what slowed me down. I've worked lots of extra shifts and while my partners scarf down fast food lunches I'm brown bagging baloney sandwiches day in and day out. And I could write a book called A Thousand Ways to Prepare Top Ramen for Dinner.

But I'm lucky in that I can fabricate many of the parts myself, I can weld, and also do the painting. So there's no labor costs except my own time. I call this build Nina because she's nine feet long. My last bike was called Thirteena!:rolleyes:

I'm now finished with the mock-up stage and she's ready to be taken down for prep and paint, then final assembly. But, I'll tell ya, as much as I can't wait to take her down the road for the first time, right now there's nothing better after a tough shift than to work around Nina for a few hours . . .

Medic115

Forum Probie
I'd love to ride, except...

...you're just a little to far west from where I am!!! Lol, still and all its good to see that they're some riders here on this forum!!!

"D"

NickD

Forum Crew Member
There's a few other riders where I work, and I guess every other agency has a few too. Maybe it's time for a summer meet-up in the middle of the country somewhere. We could call it the Code Three Run!

We might even combine it with some educating of the public on what we on the bottom of the medical totem pole actually do. Every other higher medical entity and all the big fire departments have their in-house PR departments. But all we have is the NREMT, Jems, etc, but I've yet to see a mainline newspaper or TV news program mention either of them.

But a couple thousand EMS types on motorcycles will bring out the reporters and it will make news.

Then we thrust upon them the most glib and best spoken of us to remind them we are the ones who come when they call, how we continually train and prepare, and how we do it all for some pretty paltry pay.

Nobody, I don't care who they are, can speak better for us, than us . . .

EmtTravis

Forum Captain
I would be up for a meet and greet. I've been in a few car clubs where we have done this. One of the clubs I was in met at the *tire rack* in southbend indiana and the other met at gateway.. Both spots are pretty close to being in the middle of the country. We could take a poll and see who could be a spokesperson for us during the ride and try and figure out a name for the ride.. Any idea's? I would be more then happy to help with this.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Had a number of bikes and loved to roadrace at the track... But all have been stolen. I'm not getting another bike for a while (probly this summer once I'm settled in Denver).
List I've had
07 EX500R (Stupid driver didn't look as she turned left in front of me. Lots of pain for me)
08 EX650R (stolen twice! Had 04 636 front end and race plastics mounted with street cut, along with other performance mods)
08 ZX-6R (stolen)
73 CB500K3 (stolen)

mississippimedic

Forum Crew Member
Had a number of bikes and loved to roadrace at the track... But all have been stolen. I'm not getting another bike for a while (probly this summer once I'm settled in Denver).
List I've had
07 EX500R (Stupid driver didn't look as she turned left in front of me. Lots of pain for me)
08 EX650R (stolen twice! Had 04 636 front end and race plastics mounted with street cut, along with other performance mods)
08 ZX-6R (stolen)
73 CB500K3 (stolen)

Dang dude, what a streak of luck! I am currently on an 07 Honda Shadow Spirit. If anybody else on here has a honda shadow, check out shadowriders.net Some really cool mods on there but be carefull over there, I have spent over 2 grand on modding since I joined that forum. To me motorcycle modding is worse than crack, once you start you can't stop

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Dang dude, what a streak of luck! I am currently on an 07 Honda Shadow Spirit. If anybody else on here has a honda shadow, check out shadowriders.net Some really cool mods on there but be carefull over there, I have spent over 2 grand on modding since I joined that forum. To me motorcycle modding is worse than crack, once you start you can't stop

No kidding! And I'm with you about the modding. Back when I had most of those bikes I had a Jeep and one of the bikes... Talk about no money :p

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
One of my first medic partners taught me to ride. He was a racer. He had a 1973 KH-750 triple; the fastest production motorcycle in the world at the time. Quirky, too! To teach starts and stops, he put me on the bike at the end of the driveway by our quarters, facing out to the street. Blocking the end of the driveway, he parked our Ambulance!

In this way, he guaranteed I wouldn't get too frisky with his bike! That started 30 years or so of riding, and touring the Mainland only punctuated by hitting a VW bug at 70MPH ('76 Yam 650) separating from the bike and landing 116' from the point of impact. I sprained my foot, totalled the VW and was back on a bike again within 10 days!

Now, I live Maui, which is one big motorcycle road (i.e. Road to Hana = 617 curves, 54 one-lane bridges -- more curves per mile than any paved road in the US, complete with frequent landslides, rock falls, flash floods and coconut bombardments!) and I'm quite content driving on 4 wheels, thank you very much! Let me know if you're coming out this way, though; I'll point you in the right direction and pray!

NickD

Forum Crew Member
You know . . .

The more I think about this, a Grass Roots EMS Ride-In, the more I like the idea.

Some thoughts; While I can't claim we are pals or anything I've had some contact with Dr. Bryan Bledsoe in the past and I'd feel comfortable asking him to come. He'd be a great spokesperson for us. (If you don't know who he is check your old EMT textbook as he most likely wrote it.)

Last year I did this silly spoof video about that TV show "Trauma" and Dr. Bledsoe forwarded it to none other that Randolph Mantooth (Johnny Gage from "Emergency") and Dr. Bledsoe told me Mr. Mantooth laughed his *** off over it. Mr. Mantooth also has in the past appeared at formal EMS conventions and speaks up for us little guys in terms of pay and working conditions. So who knows - maybe we could get him to show up too. Wouldn't that be cool! I'm not sure if he does these appearances for pay or not, but if he does I'll be the first one to pony up. I'm in EMS because of him! There's more than few vids online of him speaking so here's just a short one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0rtgLQUFU

I don't know if either of them ride, but we could rent a couple of Softails so at least they could roll up in front of everyone.

Do you think we'd have to hire a local EMS outfit to sit stand-by for such an event, or would we pretty much have that covered, LOL!