MOS in need of assistance call

MikeEMTB

Forum Probie
If you ever needed help, off duty that is, would you mention to dispatch that you were a member of service? Reason I'm asking is because a buddy of mine got a call for MOS in need of assistance at their job, it seemed that dispatch sent more units and at a higher priority. Having said that, would you mention this off duty, and do you think it really speeds up response times/gets more resources to you? Does it matter if it's only in your response area or would an MOS in need of help call get a quicker/larger response anywhere?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
If I'm in our district I will identify myself to the dispatcher (if they didn't recognize my number anyway). Speeds the process up and if I think a helicopter is warranted they'll go ahead and start that.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes I would if I was in the county my department covers. Soley so they could send the appropriate resources. Same goes for calling for someone else.

Nothing like getting dispatched to a vehicle rescue because some bystander thinks someone is pinned when they are simply sitting in the car. That takes up two ambulances, 2-3 engines, a commander and multiple police officers for no reason.

With that being said. I've never had to call for myself or anyone else.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Yes, I have mentioned my affiliation when calling 911 when the situation warranted. It usually helps bypass the long list of required questions and I can just give the scene size up and get the help I need.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I have told dispatch that I am an EMT or Medic before, even in an area I don't work, cause as Chimpie says they usually don't ask all the questions, and go with what you say

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
Our Dispatch system in Ontario is provincially run and Paramedic badge numbers (OASIS #) or issues by the province regardless of the service you work for, so if I call 911 I give my name and number right off the bat. Like others have said, it helps bypass the questioning a bit; and given the ridiculous over triage in our system, has been very useful, in preventing an over-response.