More classes for EMTs?

climberslacker

Forum Crew Member
Hey Folks!

I'm a EMT-B currently a full-time pre-med student. I'm wanting to broaden my knowledge base without necessarily moving on to Paramedic. Medics have all of the alphabet soup courses (ACLS, PHTLS, etc) and I was wondering if there are any similar classes geared toward the EMT? I have a few months working on a rural 911 agency and just got picked up by my campus agency so definitely in the education mode again!

Thanks!

adrenalin

Forum Probie
Additional classes for an EMT-B

I believe you can start towards your ALS classes and certs by taking an IV cert class, EKG cert class, and any classes having to do with specialized scenes, such as additional pediatric trauma courses, EMT-Tactical for law enforcement and military, stuff like that. Hope this helps.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Hey Folks!

I'm a EMT-B currently a full-time pre-med student. I'm wanting to broaden my knowledge base without necessarily moving on to Paramedic. Medics have all of the alphabet soup courses (ACLS, PHTLS, etc) and I was wondering if there are any similar classes geared toward the EMT? I have a few months working on a rural 911 agency and just got picked up by my campus agency so definitely in the education mode again!

Thanks!
I believe that PHTLS has a "Combined Provider" course that teaches to Paramedics, Advanced EMTs, and EMTs. You learn to consider more things in trauma assessment, get some exposure to more advanced skills, and you get some CE along the way. You might also want to seek out any courses that are essentially an "ALS Assist" course. Some companies teach that stuff in-house to their BLS employees that will be working with Paramedics. Also, while ACLS would probably be overkill for an EMT, AMLS probably isn't quite overkill, especially if that EMT has taken the full A&P coursework already. You won't be able to do many of the interventions because of scope limitations, but your assessment ability will almost certainly expand from where it is!

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Depending on whether your state allows advanced practices for a EMT B is a start.

However to add on to the EMT you can take PHTLS, BTLS at your provider level. An ALS assist course is handy when you have a ALS provider intercept.

EVOC and operations courses are great to expand your abilities Rescue Courses.

A good A&P course is a excellent source of knowledge that is available for any provider level.

ACLS will be over your head unless you already have a background in cardiology.

Talk to you training officer at your organization, keep an eye out at the hospitals and other organizations nearby I know when we host a course we invite the other local squads and vice versa. Some hospitals offer some great con eds so talk to your local ED's to see what they offer.

I can speak about AMLS I never taken the course

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I believe you can start towards your ALS classes and certs by taking an IV cert class, EKG cert class, and any classes having to do with specialized scenes, such as additional pediatric trauma courses, EMT-Tactical for law enforcement and military, stuff like that. Hope this helps.

Colorado is fairly rare in that EMTs can take IV and EKG classes. Most states do not have these options for what it's worth.

adrenalin

Forum Probie
Thank you for reminding me of that Tigger, I forget that some states didn't have those courses

jwk

Forum Captain
ACLS will be over your head unless you already have a background in cardiology.

Respectfully and totally disagree. ACLS has been somewhat dumbed down over the years, although the guidelines are now more consistent with evidence-based medicine than they were in the past. It's not rocket science. ACLS does not involve advanced EKG interpretation skills and looking at 12-leads - just rhythm analysis. There are a lot of folks taking ACLS with minimal exposure to cardiology, including RN's, respiratory therapists and techs, and even online-degree nurse practitioners (but that's an entire topic unto itself ;) ) And before you jump all over me - I'm talking about the class and exam. Actually being a qualified and competent provider is a totally different thing.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Respectfully and totally disagree. ACLS has been somewhat dumbed down over the years, although the guidelines are now more consistent with evidence-based medicine than they were in the past. It's not rocket science. ACLS does not involve advanced EKG interpretation skills and looking at 12-leads - just rhythm analysis. There are a lot of folks taking ACLS with minimal exposure to cardiology, including RN's, respiratory therapists and techs, and even online-degree nurse practitioners (but that's an entire topic unto itself ;) ) And before you jump all over me - I'm talking about the class and exam. Actually being a qualified and competent provider is a totally different thing.

I took ACLS last year, and it was all about rythym interpretation, and the ACLS algorithms but it was in conjunction with my paramedic program. so I had an idea. If not I know AV blocks would've thrown me for a loop But you are 100% correct I didn't learn 12 leads until later on in my class.

EEEMMMTTT

Forum Crew Member
well, OP, paramedics are EMTs.

If you got your EMT B, and want to learn more, it really does just go up the training ladder EMT I, EMT CC, and you will end up an EMT P...

you can pick up Nancy Caroline's 7th edition and read more.. or if you buy it with the online code, it has an audio book version online and you can hear more..

there are CMEs being done here and there now and again, some are interesting topics and some comes with free food...

JPINFV

Gadfly
Dear OP:

You're pre-med? Unless you're getting As in almost all of your courses, I'd advise you to focus on your undergrad courses rather than alphabet soup courses for EMS. EMS is a job, pre-med is currently your career.