Monopoly on EMS

VinBin

Forum Captain
Just thought I would ask for a couple opinions on something I'm interested in, EMS as a business. Recently AMR[EMS corp] bought out two large private EMS services. And especially with the one acquired in St. Louis, they have a pretty good presence in every region in the US.

I am interested in how you guys view such a large corporation providing EMS nationally. Good or bad?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

RichA61806

Forum Ride Along
I'm about to start an EMTB class through AMR here in Mass, I wonder what effect (if any) this possible strike would have on my class?

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Gone are the days of the Mom and Pop companies, such a shame that "Big Business" has moved into the world of EMS.......sigh

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
I think its with AMR but they just did a strike here in Oregon

OP
OP
VinBin

VinBin

Forum Captain
Gone are the days of the Mom and Pop companies, such a shame that "Big Business" has moved into the world of EMS.......sigh
Usually when it comes to "monopolies" in business (ie WalMart) I would say too bad, shop somewhere else...

But in EMS, it seems like the people have little choice in their service (as it seems composed mostly of contracts with cities?), and I have trouble seeing how AMR moving into every city can be good for EMS.

Anyone happen to have more insight into how private companies are granted contracts?

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
Out here (Denver) AMR does a grand majority of it's business with interfacility garbage. Very few real contracts. Between the poor quality of their medics (at least here) and the inability to meet contractual agreements I say that's the best place for them.

Egg

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Anyone happen to have more insight into how private companies are granted contracts?

If the contract is throught either a city, county, public hospital or other public agency there is supposed to be an open bid process. This is supposed to be done in open public meeting and there is supposed to be a period of time where the public may make comments. However, the rules governing the duty of the governing agency to alert the public has loopholes you can drive an ambulance through in full code. They may advertise a public meeting in the waaaaaay back of the classified ads that states there will be a budgetary review open for public review and comment without telling you specifically what is being reviewed. If you care how your hospital, city, county, state, region, spends its money, it pays to attend their meetings or at the very least, write the agency for copies of the minutes of their meetings. These according to the freedom of information act must be provided. They can charge you for the copies but its worth it.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I have never seen AMR in my area. I am applying to the local transport service now.

I have no problem wiht AMR being profit motivated. I am a a capitalist but more competition is necessary.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I'm about to start an EMTB class through AMR here in Mass, I wonder what effect (if any) this possible strike would have on my class?

Rich, I sent you a PM about your class. It still is not clear what the effect is going to be... they claim that there is backup coverage-- but from what i have heard it may be spotty. Any members of the forum know any more?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Usually when it comes to "monopolies" in business (ie WalMart) I would say too bad, shop somewhere else...
?
Target, BJs, Sears, Costco. Walmart is not a monopoly. Yes it puts mom and pops out of business but it isn't a monopoly when Target ans BJ's are around the corner.

OP
OP
VinBin

VinBin

Forum Captain
Target, BJs, Sears, Costco. Walmart is not a monopoly. Yes it puts mom and pops out of business but it isn't a monopoly when Target ans BJ's are around the corner.

Oh, I was being a bit sarcastic and poking fun at how often Wal Mart is called a monopoly...

I don't see them as a true monopoly, thats why I put the "quotes" around it.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
But does Hasbro have a monopoly on Monopoly??

Only if another game maker doesn't make a compteing game called 1 company controls the industry

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
Haha speaking of monopoly I have a old game that is like monopoly but not...its cool

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh, I was being a bit sarcastic and poking fun at how often Wal Mart is called a monopoly...

I don't see them as a true monopoly, thats why I put the "quotes" around it.

Yes they have 'competitors' but when one purchaser has the buying power to dictate terms to their suppliers as WalMart does, it isn't really competition is it?