Medlife Ambulance is a great company to work for!

Tired of the fools

Forum Ride Along
MedLife Ambulance County Licensing

I just found out that the County of Los Angeles Business/Ambulance License Appeals office has overruled the denial of licensing for MedLife Ambulance.

As the starting header states of this forum, "MedLife Ambulance is a great company to work for!". I am sure over the next few years all will see that this is a true statement. I am glad I stayed with the company through the hard times and look forward to the future with them.

toyskater86

Forum Lieutenant
oh wow! i guess whats fair is fair, if they do have anything that would deny them a license it would be discovered on their renewal. I hope they update the county website soon so we can see it on paper.

emergency123

Forum Crew Member
medlife appeals

It was like a cat fight.. Finally the Appeals Office brought the water hose to break up the fight between the board and Med-Life...:ph34r:

Medic496

Show strength when weak, and humility when strong
Process Validity

That makes two companies that have had the appeal overturn the Hearing Board. The process must be looked at. The initial license process should be fair. Many companies have operated in LA County for years without problems or County Licensure. Active enforcement is the solution, and mandatory participation in the EMS system.

emergency123

Forum Crew Member
MedLife Ambulance continues

Med-Life Ambulance Service. Inc.
(Business/Ambulance Appeals Officer)
Referral) -- Denied overturned by
Ambulance/Business LIcense Appeals Officer-Approved

Gordoemt

Forum Lieutenant
For some one who has been in EMS for 21 years and who claims to be a paramedic in so-cal, I would imagine you know how LA city and LA county operate. I suggest everyone educate themselves on 911 areas so new EMTs are not "tricked" "duped" or swindled by these claims about being able to run 911 in an area that is clearly not up for grabs.

heres a little nugget for everyone- If LAFD runs 911 in whatever area you are talking about....100% of the time they will not use a private ambulance company.

If its LACoFD they do run 911 with private ambulances on a basic and basic platform. There are no 911 private paramedic in LA County. Just because you are a paramedic and work for the 911 provider ie:Care,Schafer,McCormick,AMR does not mean that you will get to use your medic skills. Its means that you run ALS IFTs in la county.

Hope this clears up some confusion about medics in LA County, and people claiming contracts in LA Citys area.

That I not true. I have several buddy's that work for Amr who are medics and they go on scene if the county fire guys are cool the Amr medic will run the show start lines push their meds ect and the squad and engine would cancel out.

mike1390

Forum Captain
That I not true. I have several buddy's that work for Amr who are medics and they go on scene if the county fire guys are cool the Amr medic will run the show start lines push their meds ect and the squad and engine would cancel out.

You just made my point... "If the county fire guys are cool with them" meaning you will be nothing but county fires yes man. Trust me I know. I worked as a medic with the county fire guys I know how it works. There are no 911 paramedics in LaCo besides fire. Being an IFT medic who happenes to be given a 911 call is different, same with a medic who is working on a BLS unit and county fire "lets them" start an IV. A squad will never cancel the engine and vice versa because there is a IFT paramedic unit that has been thrown into the 911 rotation on scene.

Gordoemt

Forum Lieutenant
You just made my point... "If the county fire guys are cool with them" meaning you will be nothing but county fires yes man. Trust me I know. I worked as a medic with the county fire guys I know how it works. There are no 911 paramedics in LaCo besides fire. Being an IFT medic who happenes to be given a 911 call is different, same with a medic who is working on a BLS unit and county fire "lets them" start an IV. A squad will never cancel the engine and vice versa because there is a IFT paramedic unit that has been thrown into the 911 rotation on scene.

No. In Santa Clarita and Lancaster Amr has als units that post for 911 not just ift. And yes if an engine and squad go on scene and an ALS Amr unit on scene too and the Amr unit can handle BOTH the engine and squad will cancel I know this for a fact because I've been on scene seeing this.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Private 911 ALS as I know it does not exist in LA County. Gordo, look at Kern County or San Bernadino for real private 911 ALS EMS.

mike1390

Forum Captain
No. In Santa Clarita and Lancaster Amr has als units that post for 911 not just ift. And yes if an engine and squad go on scene and an ALS Amr unit on scene too and the Amr unit can handle BOTH the engine and squad will cancel I know this for a fact because I've been on scene seeing this.

Ok bud. Clearly you know more because your friends are medics. I was just sharing first hand knowledge due to having working in this system for many years. Yes I have had LaCoFd medics let me do all kinds of things that they weren't supposed to do ie; letting me start IVs push meds. Yeah I was a medic but on an LA county 911 call, by county contract private medics are not supposed to function as medics. They are there for BLS transport only. If AMRs medics that run IFTs get to play on a 911 call it is because somebody is breaking the rules not because they are allowed too. Lets put it this way... If their call went to court and it was found out that private medics were rendering care when they were not supposed to, people would be losing their jobs.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver

That's cool but it's against county policy, not saying it doesn't happen, but it's definitely not supposed to. Again, as many have said, there are no private medics running primary ALS 911 in LACo.

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
According to a couple of buddies of mine who work for LA county, there are rare times where no squad is available and/or has a ridiculously extended response time and in that case a private unit has acted as the ALS unit provided they are so equipped and staffed. Remember, LA County is still in the dark ages and requires 2 medics to run 911 ALS. It also does not make sense to wait on scene when ALS is there. And there are fire department medics who will hand off stuff to AMR medics, but it is completely at their discretion. At no time, can a private unit cancel incoming fire resources as the fire department is the jurisdictional provider. They can try but again, its up to the responding fire companies if they want to. Have there been exceptions? Probably; but that is the way it is supposed to be on paper.

If you want to be the only ALS on scene, look to Kern County. They are only a short distance north of the AV/Santa Clarita and the private ambulance is in charge no ifs, and, or buts.

Last edited by a moderator:

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief

Lol OK Buddy, you keep thinking that.

SkiMaskWay

Forum Crew Member
I used to work there for 6 months up until I moved last month
Starting pay is 10.50 with basically unlimited hours. Days are usually 5 days per week with only 10 and 24 her shifts so everyone gets overtime
The rigs are all pretty good, the mgmt is all pretty chill, and they try to do only legit calls. I've never run a blatantly illegal call like others have said at their company
50% dialysis calls, 30% er/ hospital, 20% psych seems about right. Thing I liked about this company was they made sure EMT looked proffesional and rigs were clean. They won't have medics anytime soon,but do run plenty of RT/RN calls. They always are hiring, so apply and your chances are good. One weird thing is they doont have any tests pre employment. They have stations in OC, covina area and LA.. IMO one of the better/ more legit places to work for IFT in so Cal. Hope this helps.

Test prep employment??? What kinda test you mean drug test, driving test, test for STDs ? What kinda test would these private ift companies require?

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Test prep employment??? What kinda test you mean drug test, driving test, test for STDs ? What kinda test would these private ift companies require?
Well since apart of the Glendale club of businesses, urine sample and thats it.
Try Amr, Bowers, CARE,MC cormick,Pacific, BIG names. Stay away from anything related to Glendale or has a phone number on the side of the rigs. More stability, more room to grow, legit business practices.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Must be different out there, but here in NM and TX, it's common for companies (including primarily IFT companies, but keep in mind private 911 providers are common here) to administer a written, practical, and PAT to prospective candidates.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Must be different out there, but here in NM and TX, it's common for companies (including primarily IFT companies, but keep in mind private 911 providers are common here) to administer a written, practical, and PAT to prospective candidates.
Thats the same here for everywhere but anything usually based in Glendale. Usually based on the high turn over rate, these companies need warm bodys also mind you most of the owners have no ems experience not even an emt license they own a gas station or 2 or a tow company, taxi company.

SkiMaskWay

Forum Crew Member
Oh man im so sorry you had to go through that! gcti is on the same level as medlife. I hope you guys get jobs soon. That particular owner owned a mobil gas station managed/co owned a car wash. The other guy a tow company. Wtf are they doing in ems is beyond me!

That's funny that you mention that about the Mobil gas station I was just speaking to one of the Employees where we fuel up and he told me that the owner knows the owner of the gas station

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
That's funny that you mention that about the Mobil gas station I was just speaking to one of the Employees where we fuel up and he told me that the owner knows the owner of the gas station
LOL! he more than likely is. I know you can't say what happened but thats the way the cookie crumbles. Hope they raid them all.