Medical examiner's card

Kmuggee

Forum Probie
Hi,

I am in the process of trying to get my medical examiner's card so I can apply for the ambulance driver certificate DMV test.

Where do I get the papers signed for the medical examination? My primary doctor's office does not accept anything to do with DMV or work.. where can I go? I was told urgent care facilities may take me in, but is there anywhere else to get it done?

Thank you!

PS:
I live in Southern California if that makes a difference.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Pretty much any doctor can do it. I had my GP fill it out the first time and the second time I went to an urgent care.

OP
OP
K

Kmuggee

Forum Probie
Okay, I will try an urgent care facility probably. Do I just hand the doctor the huge stack of papers and they'll know what to do with it? Every doctor office I've called has had no idea what I was talking about

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Make sure all the info you need to fill out personally is filled out. Hand them the paperwork and they should be able to fill it out without much trouble

MarkusEMS

Forum Crew Member
You can also look into yelp! etc. and look for occupational health practitioners/offices - during my research I came across a place that deals with anything occupational, workers comp etc. and they also offered DMV exams

Good luck with everything!
- Markus (NorCal)

OP
OP
K

Kmuggee

Forum Probie
Thank you! Hopefully I can get all this paperwork done soon.. plus another livescan before the ambulance driver test! Hah

MarkusEMS

Forum Crew Member
the good ol' background checks.... here in Cali they only want one from the state DOJ.

When I went to the DMV for the first time I was asked for bringing the proof aka receipt of that I have given my fingerprints and ordered the background check which is at that point enough to proceed.

I now know why its good to get the finger printing started first, because:

a. if you make an appointment for your written test (drivers license option on the appointment system) you mostlikely will have the results of finger prints results before you even have an available DMV Appointment

b. I passed my written test on 4.4. and out of curiosity asked yesterday at the commercial license hotline how long it takes to get the certificate in the mail as usual driver license you get in 5 - 10 business days.
their reply "you got the interim pink one, right? yes - well sir, it has an expiration date of 180 days, so there's no way for us to tell you when you will get it before then as we get thousands of commercial applications every day, bins full of them" - that's DMV right there for ya ;)

Good luck with the exam ... don't forget your DL-51 (make a copy), too when you go so they can stamp the green card and keep the DL-51 and mail the whole package off when you pass the test and you don't have to return

- Markus

Last edited by a moderator:

bbmtnbb

Forum Crew Member
I would go to an occupational medicine doctors office, as if even one little thing is out of place on the forms or the green card DMV will reject it. Go to someone familiar with the process. In Orange County there is one for really cheap-Google it. Occupational medicine, orange county, Medical Examiner's Card, DMV
It will pop up. Also I just passed the DMV test this month and studied with this link. One question I had that was not on this link had to do with a cert for the ambulance and the highway patrol but just make sure you find that in the book and remember it. See this link:

http://www.flashcardexchange.com/cards/memorize/ambulance-drivers-test-ca-1556674

Bring your fingerprint receipt and your DL-51 application pages filled in from the doctors office and the green card they give you. DMV will stamp the green card and keep your other paperwork (so make copies before you go to give it to them). You will get your 'pink copy' and then you are good to drive with your company. GOOD LUCK on the test!