"medic"

Apple Bill

Forum Crew Member
How does your dept/agency define the term "medic"?

At my fire dept, medic means paramedic. An EMT is EMT.

At my EMS agency, everyone is referred to as a medic (Basic/Advanced/Paramedic). EMTs are called Basics and Paramedics are called Paras.

Just curious how it gets used elsewhere. To me, medic=Paramedic.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Here, if someone says "medic", it's intended as paramedic.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Here, if someone says "medic", it's intended as paramedic.

This. I know there has been a push from an organization (I can't remember which one) to call both EMT's and Paramedics "medics." My company's EPCR software refers to both EMT's and Paramedics as "medics" in an attempt to adopt that organization's change. But traditionally, medic has always referred to a paramedic.

emt_irl

Forum Captain
Over here anyone with first aid training is usually called a medic. We call our emts EMT and our paramedics PARAMEDIC.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
EMT = EMT
Paramedic = Paramedic

For my area this is true for all ambulance companies and fire departments.

The only area near me where this is not true is a volunteer flight medic program for the sheriff department. For them EMTs, paramedics, nurses, and doctors are all referred to as Medics.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
You work at react, I take it?

Unnecessary confusion imo.

tonkseyboy

Forum Probie
Around here its like this
EMT = EMT, however sometimes youll here Basic or Tech also
Paramedics = Medics

Calico

Forum Probie
Medic = Paramedic (sometimes EMT-A)
EMT = EMT-B or -A
MFR = MFR or FF

The only exception around here is for our city/metro agency which is comprised of 98% paramedics, so even the 2% who are B or A still get called medics. And my husband is a field medic for his unit on base, but that would be considered an outlier.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Where I'm at now in Georgia, I have learned that a "medic" is always a paramedic and a BLS person is known as a "first responder". The EMT that works with the medic is just known as a basic. Colloquially, AEMTs are still known as intermediates.

Jason

Medic
In my area of VA :
paramedics = medics
emts = emts
also, in some cases - other ALS providers such as Intermediates might get referred to as medics.
Our units are marked up as Ambulance or Medic, with a Medic status being either Intermediate or Paramedic.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
My department calls everyone a medic (1 or 2), unless they ask you what patch you have. (Don't have them on new uniforms)

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
Medic- Enlisted personnel with the MOS of 68w (combat medic)
Paramedic- EMT-P
EMT- EMT-B, EMT-I(85/99), Advanced EMT

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
EMT is for EMT-Bs and Intermediates. I suppose we would call Advanced EMTs that too if we had them. Medic is pretty exclusively for Paramedics.

Lately it seems that the volunteer firefighters have adopted some law enforcement vernacular and refer to us as "medical" over the radio. This confuses me, since they are also providing medical services (or an impression thereof).

DieselBolus

Forum Crew Member
Around here, paramedics and paramedics only are medics. I know a few emts who call themselves medics, they are tools in many respects, along with being misleading about their education.

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
Heres a related question i received feom a great aunt who is... Up there in years. You try your hardest to tell herbyour an EMT, but she doesnt get it (because shes old) so you say "kind of a Paramedic." How do you respond to a situation like that without overstepping your bounds and taking credit for something you dont have?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
With family, it doesn't matter. My sister still asks if I still do "the EMT thing". My mom has some dementia so she still thinks I race go carts and my dad has no clue why I left a county government job with a pension, but I digress.

The average person doesn't know the difference between an EMT or a paramedic and either wildly overstates the skill set or thinks we just drive an ambulance.

When someone asks, I tell them, "I work as a paramedic on an ambulance". If they have any genuine interest, I explain the basic differences between EMT and paramedic, but most people don't care. They just want the know "what's the grossest thing you've ever seen?"

As long as you're not saying "I'm a paramedic" to someone who NEEDS a paramedic, when you're NOT a paramedic... It's really not a huge deal.

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
Thanks. I just dont want to give myself an imaginary promotion. Im sorry your mom has dementia.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Heres a related question i received feom a great aunt who is... Up there in years. You try your hardest to tell herbyour an EMT, but she doesnt get it (because shes old) so you say "kind of a Paramedic." How do you respond to a situation like that without overstepping your bounds and taking credit for something you dont have?
I'm kinda like a doctor, I just do things while going 88mph Haha