Medic dies at scene responding to suicide call in Bensalem, PA

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Medic dies at scene responding to suicide call in Bensalem

According to the Bensalem Police Department, Bensalem Rescue and police responded to a call regarding a person who may be suffering from mental illness on the 2600 block of Kiansas Street around 7:00 p.m.

Upon arrival, a medic approached the subject and was injured. He was taken to Aria where he was pronounced dead.

Read more

Jersey

Forum Crew Member
Hey Guys,

This is my neighboring department and it appears to have been a combination of an assault and a medical event. I will provide updates as soon as I get them and any information about how to help. Please stay safe and maintain constant suspicion.

Once again, stay safe.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
I wish more details had been made available. "He approached the patient, and then he was dead" is pretty much all that's being said. I'm rather curious as to the situation. GSW? Stabbing?

Thoughts are with the family of the medic.

Jersey

Forum Crew Member
I'll post the information when it becomes available through the official channels, I don't want to jump the gun.

However, lets please keep from speculating.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
man that sucks, some real dirt bags out there. You just never know when a scene is going to become unsafe.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
According to JEMS it was a stabbing. Very sad. Thoughts go out to the family, as they were apparently married with two daughters.

Jersey

Forum Crew Member
Please do not start speculating and passing judgement. Initial reports have been widly varied and inaccurate. Please refrain from judging the crews actions less than four hours after his death.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Either way, whatever happened, we had another LODD.
RIP.
SOLMourning-1.jpg

hreeves877

Forum Probie
Again, please let's not all jump to conclusions and cloud this tragedy with more of the EMS rumor mill. As has been said, initial reports have been wide and mostly inaccurate. I have worked with this medic and BEMS, and I would really appreciate it if people just would pray for the family and brothers and sisters in EMS. That is what we should be focusing on, not the how or the why. Bottom line, we all lost a great medic and man. Let the information come out as it does. Nobody close enough to the situation is even thinking of telling the whole world how this happened. It happened, that should be enough for right now, considering it hasn't even been 12 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:

hreeves877

Forum Probie
Let me just sum it up real fast here. "Remember them not for how they died, but for how they lived."

hreeves877

Forum Probie
Fine, let it be discussed. But how about we actually wait until ALL of the information is made public instead of concocking our own stories about what happened. And how about we let an amazing man and fantastic paramedic be laid to rest before we go make a training video about his death? Did he make a mistake? Maybe, maybe not. I knew this man personally, and let me tell you something. If he did do something "wrong" he had a damn good reason for doing it. So again, all I am asking for is a little respect. You want to talk about what he did wrong and how we can all learn from it, make sure you are using the correct scenario to do so and now the news media's version of what happened.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Hreeves877...

My condolences on the passing of your friend and colleague. As requested, I will not comment on the circumstances until it has been made public.

Our thoughts are with you.

EMTinNEPA
MICU61, Medic 1
Bloomsburg, PA

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Meh, I will be the @ss hole who takes a hit.

A man was killed, I feel for his family left behind as that is always a tragedy. Everyone is a saint after they die so regardless whether or not he was a great man is immaterial to me. What is important is his family, cause no matter who or what you are, they always love you, especially the children. They will survive but it will be a difficult journey.

I wish them a speedy recovery in every sense of the word and hope much happiness finds them one day, especially when they recall the memories they created with their dad/husband.

As for the actual tragedy, if he did indeed chase the man...this simply goes against everything we are trained on. As we say overseas, heroes go home in boxes and this holds true either in a war zone or on the homeland. The moment I choose to enter an unsafe scene first, as soon as the initial circumstances change (man running) I must reevaluate as it is no longer the same scenario upon which I made my initial decision to enter. When someone runs, the situation is still THEIR emergency, not mine...therefore, I do not chase. I have been there and NOT done that.

There will be many lessons learned from this situation, it is sad the surviving family has to pay the tuition for all of us to learn this lesson. Newbies and old dogs alike, pay attention and be safe out there.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Ok folks.

This hits VERY close to home for me - Although I did not know the provider who died, I have some friends and former co-workers that have worked there.

I'm going to quote the Admin, Steve Skipton, from Phillyfirenews.com, as he was quoted on JEMS's website this AM:

We ( JD and I) have removed the Paramedic's name from the forum, I know it was posted here but the Public Safety Director is requesting it not be released at this time, 37 year old married male with 2 daughters is all they will release so we (PFN) will respect that until the morning, thos that know me understand I take this hard due to the fact that I have been an EMS worker for a better part of 20 years and have many friends in the EMS world.. sometimes you just don't know what is going to happen, you know I teach new EMT's and preach scene safety on EVERY response well this brings that point home that no calls are "routine" be safe
Steve
http://pafirenews.net/messageboard/index.php?topic=3823.msg28362;topicseen#new

As the request has been to withold the name until officially released by Bensalem EMS, I ask everyone to do the same.

Further, now is NOT the time for speculating on the possibilities of what happened. I have trimmed and edited the thread right now. I feel it that it is VERY important to learn from what has happened... but lets wait until AFTER the funeral and we actually have the full story before we start questioning what happened. Right now we need to be positive and think of the hell that Bensalem EMS and this provider's family is going through, and try to be supportive.

If nothing else, this is a reminder that there are dangers that we do face on the streets, and no call is a "typical" call. Be careful, and watch your partner's back.

I will post more information as we hear about it.

Jon
EMTLife.com Community Leader

hreeves877

Forum Probie
Ok folks.

This hits VERY close to home for me - Although I did not know the provider who died, I have some friends and former co-workers that have worked there.

I'm going to quote the Admin, Steve Skipton, from Phillyfirenews.com, as he was quoted on JEMS's website this AM:

http://pafirenews.net/messageboard/index.php?topic=3823.msg28362;topicseen#new

As the request has been to withold the name until officially released by Bensalem EMS, I ask everyone to do the same.

Further, now is NOT the time for speculating on the possibilities of what happened. I have trimmed and edited the thread right now. I feel it that it is VERY important to learn from what has happened... but lets wait until AFTER the funeral and we actually have the full story before we start questioning what happened. Right now we need to be positive and think of the hell that Bensalem EMS and this provider's family is going through, and try to be supportive.

If nothing else, this is a reminder that there are dangers that we do face on the streets, and no call is a "typical" call. Be careful, and watch your partner's back.

I will post more information as we hear about it.

Jon
EMTLife.com Community Leader

Jon-

I appreciate all of this. I believe that more information has been released about the medic. It can be found at 6abc.com on the top stories. All I ask is that everybody remembers that this could have been them, thier partner, their tutor. It could have been any one of us. And please, keep the family and all of Bucks Co in your thoughts and prayers. This medic was one of the good ones. Everybody in the county knew him and he knew everyone. He will never be forgotten. God must have needed one hell of a paramedic up there with him...

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
From the link above...

a 13-year veteran paramedic for the Bensalem Rescue Squad, leaves behind his wife and two daughters, ages 1 and 5. He was also a Tactical Medic for the Bucks County South SWAT Team and was recently hired as a part-time police officer for Hulmeville Boro.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
His name was released in the news link posted in the OP.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
From the link above...

a 13-year veteran paramedic for the Bensalem Rescue Squad, leaves behind his wife and two daughters, ages 1 and 5. He was also a Tactical Medic for the Bucks County South SWAT Team and was recently hired as a part-time police officer for Hulmeville Boro.

Maybe forgetting what job he was doing at the time?