Massachusetts AEMT

hogdweeb

Forum Crew Member
Havent seen anything on the forum in regards to Massachusetts switching to AEMT or not... I have seen it mentioned, but no definite yes or no. Currently im an EMT-B, and am unsure if I want to join the airforce for pararescue or not. In the mean time, while i decide and condition for it, I want to continue some sort of educational path..why not EMS? I have looked for schools in my area that do EMT-I, and theres a few.. but they either dont have any classes posted and I cant get in touch with them which gives me a bad impression and wonder how good the course is... but I have found one or two that have not posted any schedule because they are waitintg for MA to stay I or switch to AEMT. I have done some googleing and found on wikipedia that yes MA is switching to AEMT... but its wikipedia. MA OEMS offers nothing in the way of information on their website of use. Anyone know anything, or have any ideas where to point me? I could ask the service I volunteer on...but those that should know dont know their left from right hand. Medical officer on the fire department I volunteer on doesnt know much more then his medic scop of practice..forget anything that couldnt affect him.

CFal

Forum Captain
Mass OEMS is messed up big time, and they don't use the NR. I would try to find a school that does Mass EMT-I and also teaches to the national standard for AEMT and get both.

MassEMT-B

Forum Captain
I cant speak definitely but it seems most likely MA will be switching to the national. I personally would not bother with an EMT-I in this state at all. Even if we do switch to the national very few places use them. Off the top of my head the only places I know that use them are sherborn, wakefield, AMR Brockton. There are probably others but not many especially full time places.

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
I cant speak definitely but it seems most likely MA will be switching to the national. I personally would not bother with an EMT-I in this state at all. Even if we do switch to the national very few places use them. Off the top of my head the only places I know that use them are sherborn, wakefield, AMR Brockton. There are probably others but not many especially full time places.

I've never seen an EMT-I in wakefield, interesting...

I usually saw them if I went too far south (brockton/Cape) or too far west (near wocestah) or too far north (NH). The EMT I is hardly used in Mass due to the great amount of medics, which is a good thing.

OP
OP
H

hogdweeb

Forum Crew Member
So, what ive gathered is there is no more information about a yes or no about MA switching to AEMT or staying I, although there is rumors of going NR which could mean switching. As a result stay as a B, go for my Medic or wait until the state decides (which I reckon could be a while), correct?

MassEMT-B

Forum Captain
I've never seen an EMT-I in wakefield, interesting...

I usually saw them if I went too far south (brockton/Cape) or too far west (near wocestah) or too far north (NH). The EMT I is hardly used in Mass due to the great amount of medics, which is a good thing.

Someone told me that, after looking more into I think it is false. Honestly, even if MA does switch over to the AEMT, I don't think they will be used anymore then they are now. Personally, I would either go for your Paramedic or stay a Basic. I wouldn't bother with EMT-I or AEMT if you plan to stay and work in MA.

OP
OP
H

hogdweeb

Forum Crew Member
Someone told me that, after looking more into I think it is false. Honestly, even if MA does switch over to the AEMT, I don't think they will be used anymore then they are now. Personally, I would either go for your Paramedic or stay a Basic. I wouldn't bother with EMT-I or AEMT if you plan to stay and work in MA.
I want my I or AEMT, whichever way MA goes simply because the service im on runs I as an ALS rig. Two rigs, both outfitted for I's. Do intercepts to 2 bordering towns who only have Basic services. Service is looking to go Medic, and its obvious we are...but state requires us to have an I on 24/7, no biggie....except our I's are working 60 hour weeks to fill the lack of I's. I would go for my medic, but I dont feel confident enough in my knowledge or skill set to take on the challenge.Yes, I would learn the skills and gain the knowledge if I do a medic course, but I dont want my medic yet also... only had my EMT for a year, and I dont want to run around as the clown who is going to be a para-god.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I want my I or AEMT, whichever way MA goes simply because the service im on runs I as an ALS rig. Two rigs, both outfitted for I's. Do intercepts to 2 bordering towns who only have Basic services. Service is looking to go Medic, and its obvious we are...but state requires us to have an I on 24/7, no biggie....except our I's are working 60 hour weeks to fill the lack of I's. I would go for my medic, but I dont feel confident enough in my knowledge or skill set to take on the challenge.Yes, I would learn the skills and gain the knowledge if I do a medic course, but I dont want my medic yet also... only had my EMT for a year, and I dont want to run around as the clown who is going to be a para-god.

I'll echo everyone else's advice to skip intermediate... MA Region 4 (Metro Boston) does not accept them (only north, south and west), and even then mostly volunteer fire departments. At least in MA, the additional skills that come with it are not very beneficial to patients without the full ALS scope, mainly beneficial to departments for billing. I urge you to go to paramedic school if you're considering additional training. You will gain the skills, education and confidence you need, and there can be many opportunities for education advancement. My only advice to you is to attend a CoAEMSp accredited paramedic program.
As others have said, MA is going to affiliate with the NR, but the question is when... and there are rumors flying around in every direction. In any case, it is to your advantage to meet NR standards if you're ever planning on working out of state.

Last edited by a moderator: