Man accused of sexually assaulting FDNY EMT released without charges

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Here are the highlights from https://www.ems1.com/ems-assaults/a...-amid-ongoing-investigation-D3HQ20PKsa1hG6Xu/

The man accused of sexually assaulting an FDNY EMT during a three-alarm blaze last week has been released from jail without charges as the Bronx District Attorney's Office continues its investigation.

Officials said Aaron Cervantes-Mejia, 52, was released from custody on Thursday night, the same day he was arrested for allegedly faking a medical emergency, flagging down an EMT and then grabbing her inappropriately as she tried to help, according to the New York Daily News.

Cervantes-Mejia initially faced charges of forcible touching and sex abuse. FDNY officials said last week that they planned to urge the district attorney to also prosecute Cervantes-Mejia under a law passed five years ago that makes assaulting an EMS worker a felony.

FDNY EMS Local 2507 President Oren Barzilay said the five-year-old law has never been enforced. In both a statement to the New York Daily News and in a statement issued last week addressing the assault, Barzilay criticized New York City and state leaders for failing to protect FDNY EMS providers.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

In case anyone was wondering why I think those who want to work for FDNY are nuts, have very little respect for the FDNY system (but many of the providers are decent people), and why I, personally, would never work for FDNY EMS (despite the fact that I used to live less that 45 minutes away form NYC), this is another example. Oh, and don't forget, #theworkisdifferent.

OceanBossMan263

Forum Crew Member
In case anyone was wondering why I think those who want to work for FDNY are nuts, have very little respect for the FDNY system (but many of the providers are decent people), and why I, personally, would never work for FDNY EMS (despite the fact that I used to live less that 45 minutes away form NYC), this is another example. Oh, and don't forget, #theworkisdifferent.
FDNY EMS is one of those agencies that from the outside looks like it should be amazing, but is basically a publicly funded version of the crappiest private EMS companies. The only saving grace is the promotion to firefighter opportunity and there is a push to close that.