Looking for a compact reliable Glucometer

HardKnocks

Forum Lieutenant
Like the title says. Looking to update gear.

I work mostly in very rural areas, (Lvl 1 >60 min driving ETA) and gear bag space it as a premium.

Thanks

HK

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I don't have personal experience but I'd likely get a $10 ReliOn tester at Walmart.

The strips appear to be the most inexpensive.

OP
OP
HardKnocks

HardKnocks

Forum Lieutenant
My supplier carries the cheap, consumer-grade off the shelf stuff.

When your work usually takes you 2-3 hrs away from a Level 1, you want something more than Consumer Grade.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

When your work usually takes you 2-3 hrs away from a Level 1, you want something more than Consumer Grade.
Consumer grade is perfectly acceptable and accurate if used correctly. They are medical devices that had to get cleared by the FDA to be accurate in order to be sold. Inside the directions for all the devices it will tell you how often you should do control checks to make sure it is still functioning properly. We do them at the first of each month and with each new bottle of test strips.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Maybe a little pelican case would help, if damage is a concern. I’d suggest having one in the ambulance and one in the first in bag, if possible. Nice to have a backup.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

Why does your distance from a level 1 mean anything? are you saying they aren't accurate? are you checking BGL multiple times on a patient on a routine basis (outside of known diabetic, suffering from diabetic emergencies, of course)?

what's wrong with consumer grade? yes, it's cheaper, and it will probably die sooner, but that's when you replace them for a brand new one. they can (and should) be checked to ensure calibration is accurate (as @DesertMedic66 said), but if they do the job, what's the issue?

we (FD) stick ours in our bag, and it gets knocked around like everything else. unless you hit with a hammer, I don't forsee it breaking unexpectedly, especially if you check it during your daily truck checks.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
So all those diabetics who live several hours from the trauma center and check their blood glucose every day with tsk tsk...consumer grade quality are actually in danger!!??

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
But if I buy those...it does not scream whacker...errr, I mean professional!!! I need to spend money and have a certain look to demonstrate professionalism and quality!!!

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Just get an iStat!

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
blood_glucostix.jpg

Worked really well for what you'd need on the ambulance...prolly have to get it from a veterinary supply or Russia or something now.