Longest transport

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Coolest IFT ever in miles, not time!

Transport of a man with severe circulatory problems in legs, from Orlando, FL to Quebec Canada in a Piper Cherokee converted into an Air Ambulance. Had to maintain relatively low altitude the whole way, but dig this: We left Orlando around 11:00 a.m. at about 80 degrees F and flew under the clouds to arrive at Quebec about six hours later at 2 degrees F! But there's more -- picture watching the terrain below you moving from green Summer through Spring, into Autumn and then landing in the dead of Winter!

reaper

Working Bum
Miami to Buffalo NY. About 27 hours one way. Crew of four, 2 drivers and 2 attendants. Someone was always resting. ride back was easier, then had four drivers to switch it up.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Why in the world would you send a ground ambulance 8 hours one-way with a patient in the back? If the transport time is that long, isn't it seriously time to think about fixed-wing transport?

Attendant: "Ummm... he's not looking good..."
Driver: "Ummm... we're still 5 hours out from the hospital."
A: "Well, just drive faster until you see a blue sign with an H on it."
D: "..."

JPINFV

Gadfly
First, it depends on the reason. An emergency patient and a hospital discharge are two different reasons for transport.

Second, any decently planned long distance transport should have a planned route with divert hospitals already decided on. Hopefully plans to take care of food and the call of nature are also considered. On that note, if I'm ever on a long term transport, be it as a patient or provider, I'd be tempted to ask for a condom cath prior to leaving. I'm also definitely bringing a laptop or DVD player for everyone's sake.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
One incredibly senior (try 42 years on the job) Paramedic I know has a gift for long transfers. Even though he works EMS transfers still make up a small section of calls and he specializes in them. Got a post-PCI repatriation going a two hour drive away? It's all his. Got a transfer going clear across the province? Even better. This guy will take a nice scenic trip to the receiving facility, have a nice lunch, maybe do some light shopping, find a nice spot to relax and then take the most circuitous route back to base. 4 hour round trip can easily take 8 and everyone's fairly happy to let him do it.

Why? Because the odd extra long transfer aside, at 42 years on and long since eligible to take his pension and run, this medic still does the most calls of anyone in the service.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
It is absolutely crazy to think one would drive from Alaska to WA. To get from Anchorage to WA, it is a 45 hour drive with a LOT of risks and little help, including cell phone reception.

If you are coming from anywhere west or north of Anchorage or Fairbanks, you can not drive as there is no road system, you have to fly or sled. If you are coming from the east (jUneau, Ketchikan, Sitka) you would take the ferry down.

Alaska relies heavily on planes and in the several years I was there as a flight medic, I have never heard of such a thing. There is zero cost savings going ground versus air from there and way more increased risk.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
My longest ground IFT was from Myrtle Beach, SC to some small town rehab facility way up in Pennsylvania.

Had a kid with bilateral femur fractures and he couldn't be flown cause his insurance company determined the ambo ride was cheaper...comfort never discussed with anyone, especially since we had the van ambulance.

He had the supporting brace between his casts so we had to support his left leg which couldnt remain on stretcher.

It was a long ride as this was before cell phones were common, before DVDs and there were no portable VHS players. No GPS either... :)

I remember getting stuck in traffic in VA and then we broke down about 100 miles away from final destination. Had to flag people down and then trying to coordinate a second ambulance in an unfamiliar state, then a tow truck, then trying to let home office know we were stuck and where do we stay and how do we pay for everything, etc.

And of course the ambulance coming to us wanted to get paid as well...was a nightmare.

KD78

Forum Ride Along
does europe trip count too?

My longest trip was from Ludwigsburg (Stuttgart) to Paris. 650km = 404miles takes around 8 hours.

Was a joung man with sickle cell anemia and too much alcohol on the oktoberfest. He came into the hospital with multiorgan dysfunction. After 4 or 6 weeks on the ecmo we brought him back to his home hospital...

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
It is absolutely crazy to think one would drive from Alaska to WA. To get from Anchorage to WA, it is a 45 hour drive with a LOT of risks and little help, including cell phone reception.

If you are coming from anywhere west or north of Anchorage or Fairbanks, you can not drive as there is no road system, you have to fly or sled. If you are coming from the east (jUneau, Ketchikan, Sitka) you would take the ferry down.

Alaska relies heavily on planes and in the several years I was there as a flight medic, I have never heard of such a thing. There is zero cost savings going ground versus air from there and way more increased risk.

Like I said. I just heard that. I think it supposedly took around 36 hours and they had a six man crew. It was something like that one where insurance refused to pay for air transport. I'm not saying that it was a good idea, just that I heard that it happened. *shrug* Can't find anything about it online, not that I really expected to, but you would think that something that unique would make an article in some EMS magazine.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
We have 4 level 1s, a few level 2s, a world renowned burn ward, and a pediatric level 1 and level 2.... all in DFW.

Be jealous.

Yep, but look north of DFW, and south and west of the Austin/San Antonio area. Lots and lots of territory, very little in the way of medical care beyond "OH MY GOD CALL HELP" doc in the boxes....

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Longest was a discharge to home, Jackson, MS to Tyler, TX. About 12hrs RT.