Longest interfacility ever

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Omaha to southwestern are of So Dakota, left in early AM, returned in late evening as snow started blowing. FLew with a pt once from Omaha to Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN but that was via general aviation and I slept on the way back.

How about those folks who's service does IFT's from third world countries to European or USA hospitals?

mrg86

Forum Crew Member
When I worked private AMB, we took a patient from a hospital in Seattle to a SNF in Kennewick. This is normally an 8 hour round trip but it was in the middle of winter and on that day, the mountain passes were closed. We had to drive around the mountains through Portland and then up to Kennewick. We left the hospital in the early afternoon, arrived at about 2200. We ended up spending the night in Portland on the way back.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Reno to Oakland was about 10 hours round trip.

just was cancelled of a trip from eastern MA to western PA a few weeks ago (was going to be overtime too :()

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Nothing record breaking, but my longest was Tyler, TX to Sugarland, TX. Four hours driving time one way.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
FL to Boston, 3 days round trip, three man crew rotating sleep, attending and driving.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Had a friend that went from Palm Springs to Oakland..took about 12 hours.

My longest IFT trip was about an 2 hours.

I had a 911 transport that lasted about 2.5 hours...long story.

The mountain community where I trained was a minimum 45 minute transport with cardiac and trauma being at least an hour. The later got flown when possible, but bad weather = long transport. That's the price of living remotely.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Forgot to add that that 12 hr trip involved a head injury with repetitive questioning that cycled about every 5 minutes. :rofl:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
multiple 12 hour trips, 1 24 hr trip; 2 of our crews did Indy to South Florida.
My first 12 hour trip was 12 with the patient 37 back without the patient due to the snow and ice that started as soon as we dropped the patient off; 650 miles at less than 35 mph

I loved long distance transports would always volunteer to take them. Dispatch knew it and would page me to ask who I wanted to work with, not even asking if I wanted to go or not.

I volunteered for one from Indy to Reno NV but he ended up not going

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Did Reno to Chico. Took about 9 hours round trip but we stopped and had a sit down lunch too. Haven't done too many LDTs. Every time I call on one and its an ALS patient or with someone that isn't entertaining to sit in the cab with.

My instructor drove from WI to FL for a pediatric pick-up...then drove back.
(3 person crew.)

I feel like fixed wing would be cheaper than a ground transfer at this point. Might be able to argue safer too depending on the aircraft.

Reno to Oakland was about 10 hours round trip.

just was cancelled of a trip from eastern MA to western PA a few weeks ago (was going to be overtime too :()

Sounds about right depending on traffic and which unit you take haha

26 hours round trip, 3 man BLS crew. Southern California to Reno, Nevada. Going from one SNF to a SNF closer to the patients house.

And you didn't even stop to say what's up! Do you remember which one you went to?

Last edited by a moderator: