Loma Linda BS Paramedicine

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
That is a bit of a draw back for me, and the biggest reason I am still 50/50 on it. I live an open lifestyle about my sexuality and I won't go somewhere that I will have to actively hide that.

Other than that, it is a strong pre med program that will obviously place me way ahead of the curve at another school (I will not attend loma linda med school).

I would still be a bit apprehensive about going pre-med with that (non-loma linda med school). Consider talking to counselors at med schools you want to go to specifically about that program before enrolling. New, almost experimental (in the sense of academia, this hasn't been around in US) programs may not have the best outcome with med school counselors.

Plus I am not to sure how far ahead of the curve they want you. In medical school you are learning from a different perspective and a more general practitioner model, where their is a methodology behind the way they teach you.

It overall just needs more follow up

OP
OP
daedalus

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
I would still be a bit apprehensive about going pre-med with that (non-loma linda med school). Consider talking to counselors at med schools you want to go to specifically about that program before enrolling. New, almost experimental (in the sense of academia, this hasn't been around in US) programs may not have the best outcome with med school counselors.

Plus I am not to sure how far ahead of the curve they want you. In medical school you are learning from a different perspective and a more general practitioner model, where their is a methodology behind the way they teach you.

It overall just needs more follow up

I certainly agree with some of what you are saying. Allopathic schools are traditionally conservative, and may not look at the undergrad degree in a medical science as a good thing. However, I plan on being a medical director and there is no better premed program than one focusing on issues in EMS. I will find a school that will take me (Loma Linda is prestigious to a certain degree). Good MCAT and GPA along with my 6 plus years of volunteer work at a free clinic should also help out.

The courses are very broad (like general pathology and general pharm) so they are not too focused on EMS, and I really do not fear having to relearn from a different prospective.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Something I admire about you is how open you are with your sexuality, many people do not have the courage to be. It is a shame people are not more open minded about it, or the program isn't more widespread.

You do know your own state's stance on sexuality issues?

Anita Bryant is still a very vivid memory for some here in Florida.

Sasha

Forum Chief
You do know your own state's stance on sexuality issues?

Anita Bryant is still a very vivid memory for some here in Florida.

Did I ever mention California? I said people. I don't care about the state's stance on sexuality, doesn't effect my own stance on it.

OP
OP
daedalus

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Did I ever mention California? I said people. I don't care about the state's stance on sexuality, doesn't effect my own stance on it.

I think vent was speaking broadly about Florida.

VentMedic

Forum Chief

If the sexuality issue doesn't affect you directly it is easier to have a liberal stance. However, if it is your lifestyle, there may be times when you know you will be viewed differently. Some must say one thing but yet become something else when under scrutiny. I don't believe at this time Florida has overturned all of its old laws on the books that make homosexuality illegal. Thus, in some situations discrimination or what we may believe to be discrimination is actually upholding the law. This was all again rehashed in the courts with the adoption issues by same sex couples. However, I believe in CA they do not have those same legal issues except when it comes to marriage.

So regardless of one's openness, it may still be a concern when applying for a job or school.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I think vent was speaking broadly about Florida.

And? What does that have to do with my dissapointment that people are still... close minded towards homosexuals? Because I'm from Florida and doesn't mean I will automatically follow the state's general majority.

If the sexuality issue doesn't affect you directly it is easier to have a liberal stance. However, if it is your lifestyle, there may be times when you know you will be viewed differently.

I don't look down on people who keep it under wraps, I just think it's cool that he is open about it. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't think he is somehow a superior homosexual for it, or a better person.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cory

Forum Captain
That is really something to consider. Unfortunately, I'm sure the cost of the cource is not so affordable compared to the "ok" pay that your typical EMT/Paramedic earns a year. <_< am I right?

JPINFV

Gadfly
That is really something to consider. Unfortunately, I'm sure the cost of the cource is not so affordable compared to the "ok" pay that your typical EMT/Paramedic earns a year. <_< am I right?

Sure, if you just keep on operating as an entry level provider. Now get it and start doing QA/QI, training, designing CMEs, etc and you've just increased your value to your employer and you should be able to negotiate better wages than entry level + time served.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
And? What does that have to do with my dissapointment that people are still... close minded towards homosexuals? Because I'm from Florida and doesn't mean I will automatically follow the state's general majority.

Nobody is accusing you of disliking homosexuals.

In Florida it is a little more than just being open minded or following the state's majority...which I hope it is still not the majority.

It is about the legal statutes that are still on the books. If daedalus was applying to one of Florida's private colleges, especially those with a religious affiliation, he might be closely scrutinized even if they didn't want to just come out and give the real reason for not accepting him. However, even if they did he might not have a legal defense in Florida.

timmy84

Forum Crew Member
Nobody is accusing you of disliking homosexuals.

In Florida it is a little more than just being open minded or following the state's majority...which I hope it is still not the majority.

It is about the legal statutes that are still on the books. If daedalus was applying to one of Florida's private colleges, especially those with a religious affiliation, he might be closely scrutinized even if they didn't want to just come out and give the real reason for not accepting him. However, even if they did he might not have a legal defense in Florida.

Well obviously the majority of Floridians are looking the other way when it comes to South Beach! Last year when I went to my best friend/roomie from colleges commitment ceremony/bachelors' party there was no hiding who you are. I had a blast. I suppose they only hate you if you are not spending huge bucks on real estate taxes and bringing in large tourist groups with expendable cash. LOL.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Well obviously the majority of Floridians are looking the other way when it comes to South Beach! Last year when I went to my best friend/roomie from colleges commitment ceremony/bachelors' party there was no hiding who you are. I had a blast. I suppose they only hate you if you are not spending huge bucks on real estate taxes and bringing in large tourist groups with expendable cash. LOL.

Miami Beach was one of the first cities in Dade county to include sexual orientation in their discrimination statement. Dade County just recently included the wording and have allowed domestic partner registration. I do remember the turmoil in the 1980s when Miami was one the the top 3 cities for number of people with HIV/AIDS and Miami Beach was wanting the PD and FD to hire gay people. Luckily Miami Beach did rise above the emotions and tempers to move forward. However, the City of Miami and Dade County took much longer to get over the damage that had already been done in the 70s with the anti-gay rights movement led by the orange juice lady.

Being openly gay is one thing. But, if you want to challenge one of the old state statutes and adopt or marry, you will have a serious legal battle. But, at least now few places will deny you housing or employment based on sexual orientation. Unfortunately just a few years ago that was not the case in Florida.

Also, during the 70s and 80s, South Beach consisted of retirement hotels and slum type apartment building full of drug addicts.

Last edited by a moderator:

timmy84

Forum Crew Member
Also, during the 70s and 80s, South Beach consisted of retirement hotels and slum type apartment building full of drug addicts.

Well that is certainly a change from now! I would have never guessed that in a million years!