Live explosive ordinance - what do you do?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
With a grenade like that, if it doesn't go off on impact, then the fuse is probably bad. Wait a few minutes, direct the patient to pull it straight back out if there's no EOD available. If they're unresponsive or can't, then wait for EOD if at all possible.

If it is one of your guys, well, in my setting, we have the PSG or an NCO pull the thing out. In this setting, kind of a crapshoot.

Some RPGs have arming pins. If the pin is still in, you can fairly safely stabilize it and transport CAREFULLY! Then again, some don't.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
If you see me running, try to keep up.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
4 words

"Hey probie, you're up"

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
With a grenade like that, if it doesn't go off on impact,

Eh.....still not chancing it.

4 words

"Hey probie, you're up"

What he said. There's only one person on this planet I would risk my life for and her alarm just went off for her to get up for work.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Well, OK, what IF you found UXO by a patient needing extrication...

What are your protocols? Isn't it just part of HAZMAT except you call the police/LE and stand by?
Embedded UXO happens but the survival after being hit by an explosive projectile is usually nil. That's one big piece of stuff, generally.

I have a WWII 22mm auto cannon slug that is either tipped with oxidized lead or magnesium. Anyone want to standby while I take my Dremel tool to stand find out??

Last edited by a moderator: