Live explosive ordinance - what do you do?

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Karla Flores, 32, was selling seafood on the street in Culiacán, Sinaloa when she heard a bang and something hit her, knocking her down, the Daily Mail reported.

Linky-poo to article

Obviously the NREMT answer is GTFO and call the bomb squad. What would you personally do if you found a patient like this? Attempt an airway before backing out?
Remember, it was originally thought to be a stone that hit her.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
I'm too stupid to be able to recognise a blood covered RPG and probably would have thought it was just a stick.

I'd likely have transported her, blissfully unaware.

The medical staff didn't even know what it was until after several imaging tests.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Wasn't this whole scenario on an episode of House once?

Sasha

Forum Chief
No, greys anatomy

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
If I recognized what it was and she had no airway I might attempt a quick crich, hook up our transport vent then back out.

I wouldn't mess with her oropharynx, personally.

If I didn't recognize what it was I'd probably just go about my business, then when I found out later, I'd poop my pants.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Shoot id put her on the stretcher and tow it like 35 feet behind the ambulance.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Shoot id put her on the stretcher and tow it like 35 feet behind the ambulance.

This is probably the best option thus far.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Honestly, if I recognized it probably the standard NR answer. Evacuating bystanders from the area is more important at that point.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Arctic Kat is right

Blood and airway concern would mask diagnosis. Sounds like they did ok. I'd work with them.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
I think an episode of MASH dealt with a live grenade once, not sure where it was impaled at though.

Scary thought yes, probably would find out later and have to change clothing.:rofl:

jpbaker1988

Forum Probie
300 meter cordon and wait for EOD. After diffusion, I would conduct airway management with life threatening hemorrhaging stabilized and transport with secondary assessment en route. Pretty boring and lacks the heroic measures but its the best attempt to limit additional casualties.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
""The doctor asked me what happened. I told him that I thought a stone hit me,” the mother-of-three said. "Then they started to look and discovered that it was some kind of projectile, but they didn't know what it was.""

Umm... how did she answer their questions while it was still lodged in her mouth?

This happens fairly often in military conflicts.

I avoid being put in that situation by not going to :censored::censored::censored: hole countries.

Last edited by a moderator:

imadriver

Forum Crew Member
Just putting it out there. That is so much cooler than a shark bite.

Sounds like they did do a great job. Kudos to the volunteers.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
look for the bubbles in the blood ..... hope its the airway and put a ET tube in it.

mammikoura

Forum Ride Along
in my opinion jpbaker has the right answer. You clear the area, 200-300m (depending on the situation) between her from anyone else. Then you just stand there waiting for EOD, if she dies then she dies. It's sucks but that's life.

Rules are there for a reason, playing with explosives usually doesn't end well.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
look for the bubbles in the blood ..... hope its the airway and put a ET tube in it.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MXgc8wzfC4[/YOUTUBE]

/Pretty sure I'm going to hell now...