Life of a BUFF

EMTJosh9

Forum Probie
SO , I saw the thread on how to buff calls in NYC and it inspired me to make this,

back in the day, not to long ago .. I used to be a buff when I first started in this field. I used to carry my radio everywhere waiting to " save a life ". I'd go to EVERY call regardless of what I was doing, day or night I took always on duty to a whole different level. I went out bought 5 different sets of BDU's trauma shears, 250$ stethoscope( which I never used) glove holders, key holder(and I was to young to drive my volley ambulance) Sometimes when I thought it'd be a busy day, I would make sure I was in our response area ready to be first out. After I got a job, I realized I was insane and do not do this anymore. My pager is actually
missing and I haven't cared to look for it

SO , What is the most " buffiest " thing you've done or witnessed someone do..

Last edited:

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
I will admit, I was a buff back in the day (talking early 90's here). I had a Uniden Bearcat 200 XLT scanner that went everywhere with me. I had PD, Fire and EMS programmed. It drove my then girlfriend crazy (not sure why she thought it would be a good idea to marry me a few years later). If I heard an MVA near where I was, I would head there. I didn't have any lights on my car, other than the allowed green light, which I only used when responding to my VACs calls. I had a stocked jumpbag. When my VAC got a call, even if I wasn't on duty, I would respond to the garage in case they needed help. I would keep my pager on monitor so that I could hear if a neighboring dept was having trouble getting a crew together. If they were having trouble, I would start driving to the garage in case the call was turned over to us. The most pathetically buff thing I did was actually go out buffing. A few friends and I would grab our scanners and jumpbags and drive around. If we heard a "good" call go out we would try to beat the responding departments. It was never to house calls, just public location calls. I had the coed naked EMT shirt as well as a few others. Thankfully I matured at some point and stopped being an azzhat. I will admit that I sometimes listen to the scanner from back home when I am riding in my car. I thought about buffing a few calls but I realized that a 16 hour response time might not work.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I once jumped a call so a crew going off-duty would get home on-time. Met them on-scene, transferred care, they went home.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I will jump calls if it will be a late call for another crew or it has been a slow day for us and that crew has been getting ran hard.