Life as a Paramedic in Detroit

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
[YOUTUBE]Lm_m4CR4dN4[/YOUTUBE]

:blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

Anjel

Forum Angel
Yup.

It was actually southfield where they were stranded not Detroit. But yea its crazy

I wanted to work for Detroit, but screw that.

atropine

Forum Captain
wow, and I thought LA was bad, were forty million in the hole, but we still have ambulances that work.

firemedic0227

Forum Lieutenant
Wow That is some Scary stuff right there! No way I would work there unless I have a ballistics vest of some sort, which seems to be getting more and more common!

Joe

Forum Captain
ok i am watching the video right now and its loading slowly. now in reguards to the shots fired i have one comment. how many of you worked nye? we were posted and at 12am it sounded like a war zone. there were atleast 6 volleys of small caliber weapons for about a minute straight. and we work metro. no biggie for me but they made it sound like they were getting shot at.. the busted trucks are a big issue for me tho.

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
Welcome to my IFT world. We have at least two rigs that wont start if you turn them off. Last week at one of our main drop offs one of the supervisors was hanging out making :censored::censored::censored::censored: harder on us.

I had one of those ghetto rigs and the SOUP kindly informed me that (insert company owner name here) didn't want us leaving the rigs running and if we had to call for a jump 3 times that would be better.

-What I wished I had said-

Better for who? Certainly not the patient melting in the back. Not better for me an my partner who look like :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:s. These rich MFers should care enough to give us rigs that aren't pieces of :censored::censored::censored::censored:, then we wouldn't have this problem.

I'm ready to actually say this at our next staff meeting. He'll be there.

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
This video was posted by EMSDetroit. Look at their other videos. Seems broken rigs is the least of their worries...

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
"there is not something you expect in a large american city" BS!!!! This happens at large american cities all too often.

Ambulances break down. ambulances have to wait for tow trucks. :censored::censored::censored::censored: happens. Ambulances get stuck in the snow and are unable to get out. Jobs holding, units having extended responses, lots of shootings going POV to the hospital, infants in cardiac arrest waiting (which I bet he is saying for emotional effect only, I bet there wasn't one infant truly in cardiac arrest that night), this is business as usually for many/most cities in the US.

Yes, Detroit is one of the worse systems, but it isn't unique. Ambulances do break down, whether in the cities, suburbs, or sticks, it happens.

But back to the initial purpose of the video, why is this still happening? Because the government refuses to properly fund, equip, and staff Detroit EMS. EMS safety is a very low priority, as evidence by the gunfire going on and no PD response. It's apparently EMS in general is not a high priority at all for the City leadership.

If it was me making the video, I'd be applying to other services to get out of Detroit. Word elsewhere. I'm sure a couple years of experience in Detroit will qualify you to work anywhere, especially with all the connections you have made.

If it's that bad, go somewhere else, you always have other options.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
That being said, something has clearly gone horribly wrong in Detroit. Management? Fire Depth? Mayor?

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
That being said, something has clearly gone horribly wrong in Detroit. Management? Fire Depth? Mayor?

Based on what I've seen written by Detroit medics on another forum it's all the above.

I do recall them describing what for them is a normal shift and if I ever had shift near as eventful I'd have quit.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I can't believe people are this surprised.

I guess it's just not news here any more.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Detroit may be worse than Juarez.