Lidocaine for ICP & RSI

hk531971

Forum Probie
Any one every pushed lidocaine for ICP from head trauma before pushin SUC and VEC for a RSI...is it worth it. Protocals say do it, most ppl say not worth it and Medical Director says not really worth it either....2 cents:ph34r:

OP
OP
H

hk531971

Forum Probie
Any one every pushed lidocaine for ICP from head trauma before pushin SUC and VEC for a RSI...is it worth it. Protocals say do it, most ppl say not worth it and Medical Director says not really worth it either....2 cents:ph34r: 1.5mg per kg

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Any one every pushed lidocaine for ICP from head trauma before pushin SUC and VEC for a RSI...is it worth it. Protocals say do it, most ppl say not worth it and Medical Director says not really worth it either....2 cents:ph34r: 1.5mg per kg

Do what your medical director says. Anything else is a breach of protocol. Feel free to ask them about it, however. I know we don't do it in my system, but we don't RSI either.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Sux AND vec?

Plus, your current location is inappropriate

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Why? Seems you're getting the negatives of both for no real reason.

I understand vec/roc for post intubation maintenance and sux initially, but not both at same time?

OP
OP
H

hk531971

Forum Probie
Our medcal director is very liberal as on 6 people work under him, i am just curious if anyone has seen or heard if patient out come has improved with the lidocane

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Duplicate threads merged.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Yup, we use suxamethonium and vecuronium in combination here.

Trying to avoid fasciculations but still have rapid onset?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Personally, I'll just wait for vec to kick in. If time is that much of a factor, there's always the option of a cric.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
It's not concurrently, vec is only used if long term muscle relaxation is required.

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
Free here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1725712/pdf/v018p00453.pdf

Emerg Med J. 2001 Nov;18(6):453-7.
In patients with head injury undergoing rapid sequence intubation, does pretreatment with intravenous lignocaine/lidocaine lead to an improved neurological outcome? A review of the literature.
Robinson N, Clancy M.
Source

Emergency Department, Southampton General Hospital, Tremona Road, Southampton SO16 6YD, UK. poppabear66@hotmail.com
Abstract

It is well known that laryngeal instrumentation and endotracheal intubation is associated with a marked, transient rise in intracranial pressure (ICP). Patients with head injury requiring endotracheal intubation are considered particularly at risk from this transient rise in ICP as it reduces cerebral perfusion and thus may increase secondary brain injury. The favoured method for securing a definitive airway in this patient group is by rapid sequence intubation (RSI). In the United States the Emergency Airway Course teaches emergency physicians to routinely administer intravenous lidocaine as a pre treatment for RSI in this patient group in an attempt to attenuate this rise in ICP. A literature search was carried out to identify studies in which intravenous lidocaine was used as a pretreatment for RSI in major head injury. Any link to an improved neurological outcome was also sought. Papers identified were appraised in the manner recommended by the evidence based medicine group to ensure validity. There were no studies identified that answered our question directly and, furthermore, it is our belief that no such study, at present, exists in the literature. Six valid papers were found, which individually contained elements of the question posed and these are presented in a narrative and graphic form. There is currently no evidence to support the use of intravenous lidocaine as a pretreatment for RSI in patients with head injury and its use should only occur in clinical trials.
Comment in

Emerg Med J. 2001 Nov;18(6):419.

8jimi8

CFRN
Any one every pushed lidocaine for ICP from head trauma before pushin SUC and VEC for a RSI...is it worth it. Protocals say do it, most ppl say not worth it and Medical Director says not really worth it either....2 cents:ph34r:

Based on what I have read, there is no improvement in outcomes with or without lidocaine. Follow your protocol or suffer the wrath.

PFD2171

Forum Probie
Lido

I would echo the article referenced above and add that in a recent Airway Course all the doc's teaching had the same comments that there is not proof it works but also no proof it does not work and said the same with providing the defasiculating dose of Vec.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
I find it kind of amusing that one of the hypothesized mechanisms for the increase in ICP post succs is due to fasciculations of neck muscles impeding venous flow from the cranium, which is also potentially impeded by... a c-collar.

It's probably all a waste of time...

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
I find it kind of amusing that one of the hypothesized mechanisms for the increase in ICP post succs is due to fasciculations of neck muscles impeding venous flow from the cranium, which is also potentially impeded by... a c-collar.

It's probably all a waste of time...

There's a bunch of data showing that c-collars affect ICP. Just not a lot of data showing that this impacts outcomes.

I agree that premedication probably isn't that important.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=cervical%20collar%20intracranial%20pressure

There's an older literature review on sux and ICP here (free .pdf)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1725690/pdf/v018p00373.pdf

A decent free article on pre-medication with atropine in peds here

http://www.cjem-online.ca/sites/default/files/pg114.pdf