License points and working in Florida....

hpresley86

Forum Ride Along
Really stressed and hoping someone can give some insight on what I'm looking forward to. Last week I was pulled over on the interstate headed to take my NREMT exam (which I passed), got pulled over in a construction zone doing 92 in a 60. I was running late and was terrified I wouldn't be allowed to test. Anyways, I have a court date on April 7th.

I've had a perfect driving record up till now for over 10 years, except one seat belt ticket like 6 years ago.

I already know the fine is going to be outrageous and my auto insurance is going to sky rocket, but my biggest concern is whether or not I'll be able to find a job on a truck in Florida with this on my record now. I work in a hospital ER but my plan was to find a part time job on a truck after I received my EMT license and work as an EMT until I finished medic school.

Am I totally screwed on getting a job with a county anywhere? Anyone have any similar experience?

Jayy

Forum Probie
Honestly, it's hard to say. Any agency you apply to will likely take your 10 year clean driving history into consideration. Everybody makes mistakes and most agencies understand that.

You'll probably have no trouble getting on with one of the privates, but getting a job with Fire Rescue, which I'm assuming is your goal since you're in Florida, may require you explaining your situation. My advice is to be upfront about it if asked. They may ask you in your interview (they did in mine), "we're going to run your driving history and a level 2 background check, is there anything I should know beforehand?" My advice is to be upfront and take the opportunity to explain yourself. Otherwise they may end up rejecting you, and you'll never get the chance to tell your side.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
I work for a major company and will accept you if you have less than 5 points. And obviously no history of reckless driving.

phideux

Forum Captain
Isn't 92 in a 60 considered reckless driving?

Especially in a construction zone. I don't ever remember seeing a 60MPH limit through a construction zone, around here the construction zones usually have a 25mph-45mph limit.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Especially in a construction zone. I don't ever remember seeing a 60MPH limit through a construction zone, around here the construction zones usually have a 25mph-45mph limit.
Probably an interstate construction zone.... as I have one right next to me. #ugh

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
I've had a perfect driving record up till now for over 10 years, except one seat belt ticket like 6 years ago.

If the last ticket you had was 6 years ago, you should write this one off easily with a traffic school. It will still appear on your DMV record though.

Jane

Forum Crew Member
Agree, take an online traffic school and you won't receive points for it.