Lice?

s4l

Forum Probie
What do you guys do before/during/after transporting a pt with severe lice?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
FULL BSI kit... (mask, gloves, gown, hat, shoe covers, etc.). Linen in sealed plastic bag, and idiopathic (phantom) scratching for a week.

JonTullos

Forum Captain
FULL BSI kit... (mask, gloves, gown, hat, shoe covers, etc.). Linen in sealed plastic bag, and idiopathic (phantom) scratching for a week.

This.

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
like i said in a different thread, I was in a situation where i went to an elderly woman's home, think the complaint was something like general weakness. still pretty new to the job i went right in started my assessment. she looked filthy, smelt awful, but i didn't think to check for lice... in my classes we were taught to use BSI for bleeding/productive cough/whatnot... never even considered lice as a threat. the hospital notified the company by the end of the day, who in turn told us by the end of the month. too late... already had them, shaved my head and had to delouse the station, my car, and my house. apparently i was the only one affected.

i now generally keep my head shaved, i was balding anyways and the look has grown on me... or fell off.

yay for adequate dispatch information.

Sasha

Forum Chief
like i said in a different thread, I was in a situation where i went to an elderly woman's home, think the complaint was something like general weakness. still pretty new to the job i went right in started my assessment. she looked filthy, smelt awful, but i didn't think to check for lice... in my classes we were taught to use BSI for bleeding/productive cough/whatnot... never even considered lice as a threat. the hospital notified the company by the end of the day, who in turn told us by the end of the month. too late... already had them, shaved my head and had to delouse the station, my car, and my house. apparently i was the only one affected.

i now generally keep my head shaved, i was balding anyways and the look has grown on me... or fell off.

yay for adequate dispatch information.

Just be cautious, especially if you see the patient scratching their head. Lice LOVE clean hair, so just because a patient is clean doesn't mean they don't have lice. Best you can do is be aware. I keep my hair up in a bun most of the time at work giving buggies less to jump on to.

I got super lice in high school from a kid I was babysitting. Those things just wouldn't die and we always seemed to miss one. We had to get expensive medicated shampoo from a doctor to get rid of them. Don't want to go through that BS again!

Last edited by a moderator:

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
What do you guys do before/during/after transporting a pt with severe lice?

If I find out before hand I turn them over to a guy I sometimes work with. (He started going bald so he shaved it all off)

If I ever found out afterwards lol. I would probably go nuts, shave my head, and find myself in church a little more often.