Level after school? Does it matter?

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
Hi, I am in South Dakota where they only have 2 levels- EMT and Paramedic. I'm not sure if this is the equal to EMT-B or AEMT or.... what. I don't know if it really matters. We're studying the Brady Emergency book 12th ed. Thoughts? Am I thinking too hard?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Using that book it's more than likely EMT-B (now just called EMT under national registry).

If you are learning additional skills such as IV, IO, Dextrose, Epi, etc then it may be the AEMT level.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

I'm hoping for IV training. My husband said I could practice on him. >:)

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

beano- I will when classes start in a few weeks. Just trying to get myself prepared.

Smitty213

Contributor of Tidbits
It is more than likely that it's the EMT/-B class... I've never been made aware of a state or region that allows somebody to surpass the BLS education level. Furthermore, from the snooping around I did on your states Department of Public Safety, EMS Division website, it seems like you are a regular National Registry state, so your BLS protocols will be in line with those national standards. Also, in case you were interested in AEMT after you finish this class, the website had AEMT classes to sign up for! Good luck! :)

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

Smitty- you are so awesome, thank you so much for pointing me in that direction. AEMT isnt so obvious of a program, I guess) and I emailed the coordinator to find out how I become an AEMT. That's really where I want to start so I can be more helpful, plus I think its a good starting point until I'm ready for Paramedic school (waiting for the little kid-o to get into Kindergarten in a year and a half). Thank you so so much!

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

Thanks everyone for your reply. I did end up calling the director, and for some reason, SD likes to jump from EMT-B to Paramedic. I think its a big jump, but what do I know? So I spoke with him for quite some time and he anticipates that I will probably want to jump right into Paramedic school after EMT, but that wont be possible for me right now because of my youngest, but I am definitely planning on saving up all of my money from being an EMT to pay for Paramedic school so I can stab my husband with an IV. ;) Oh, and perhaps save people's lives as well.

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
Amelia: You're from South Dakota, too?? Whereabouts? I'm in Sioux Falls.

Anyway, to your question. I just graduated from an EMT-B program through Lake Area Tech and am planning in August to enter a paramedic program that is a hybrid through a university in North Dakota. In the meantime, I'm working as an EMT-B for a local ambulance service. I know that between now and August isn't exactly a world of experience, but I never felt the need to get an AEMT. I figured for the money and the time investment why not just go to paramedic school?

Also, I too have investigated how to get IV certification in South Dakota. The short answer: we can't. At least none of my instructors and others have been able to come up with a program in S.D. that offers such a certification -- much less one that would transfer to other states. Again, S.D. continues to be behind the times in yet another career area. The closest I've found for IV certification is Colorado, but they require all their EMTs to have it, if I understand correctly. And those of us who would like to work in Colorado technically don't "need" to have it to apply for jobs there, but in reality we do.

Since you're local, let me know if I can assist in resources in some way.

Cheers,
M.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

Thanks. The only way I can do IV is when I become a Paramedic. I was very surprised that SD goes 1-10 with very very basic to very very experienced. Its actually kind of daunting. I'm going to get a year under my belt then go for it, I think. BTW, I read your other conversation before this one. :)

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
There are many places that do not utilize intermediates/advanced EMTs in any volume. It's often not cost effective for a service to pay one if they also have a paramedic on board. A paramedic with an EMT partner is more than effective.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

Tigger, that's what I was thinking- plus there isnt even an AEMT program here, so I dont even have to consider that now. :)

RefriedEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Yea from what I found there are very few AEMT schools across the US atm, also you are able to put in IV as well as IO lines as an EMT-B in Washington State- Clark County Only though. This does require 1 full year of experience as an EMT though and you have to go through a short 3-4 weeks course so that in the end you become certified by the county as an EMT-IV Tech. This is the job im hunting for atm....just need the full year first.