Legally, can a 16 year old EMT...

Status
Not open for further replies.

newEMT

Forum Crew Member
Can a 16 year old EMT respond on the ambulance with a 40 year old first responder, who functions as a driver? The 16 year old would be alone in the back. I'm asking about PA law.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Contact your state EMS office rather than rely on the opinions of people that in many cases based on there comments obviously don't know as much as they think they do.

NJEMT95

Forum Lieutenant
In NJ, an EMT under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an EMT who is over 18 at all times. However, this is not always followed. Check with the PA EMS office as well as your squad.

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
This might constitute seeking legal advice, so one of the mods might step in and close it down.

I can't speak for PA laws, I can simply tell you that in NY, you must be 18 to be an EMT.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
This might constitute seeking legal advice, so one of the mods might step in and close it down.

I can't speak for PA laws, I can simply tell you that in NY, you must be 18 to be an EMT.

Cali is the same way. must be 18.

NJEMT95

Forum Lieutenant
Just to clarify, in NJ, you can become an EMT at 16, but you get a "provisional" certification until you turn 18. Provisional EMTs can do anything a regular EMT can except be left alone with a patient either on scene or in the back of a rig.

Dwindlin

Forum Captain
EMPLOYMENT OF MINORS AS AMBULANCE ATTENDANTS

Under Section 7.3(g) of the Child Labor Law, minor ambulance attendants are restricted to participating intraining" activities.The Department of Labor and Industry has interpreted this provision to allow 16- and 17-year-old volunteerambulance association members to participate in "on-the-job" training if the 16- or 17-year-old has completed thefollowing:

a course in CPR and
either
an advanced first-aid program, or
an emergency medical technician (EMT) program.

16- and 17-year-olds who have completed such programs are permitted to receive "on-the-job" training as ambulance attendants only if they are at all times under the constant supervision of an adult ambulance company member 16- and 17-year-olds are prohibited by law from driving an ambulance under any circumstances. In addition, 16- and 17-year-old ambulance trainees are subject to Child Labor Law restrictions on hours. They may not serve as ambulance attendants for more than 8 hours in one day, and must be given a half-an-hour, "off-duty" lunchbreak if they are on duty more than 5 straight hours. Further, they may not serve on duty later than 12 midnight on school nights or 1 A.M. on Friday and Saturday nights and during school term vacations. (no night restriction during summer vacation) In practice, trainees who answer ambulance calls prior to the 12 midnight or 1 A.M. deadline may continue to serve as attendants for the duration of that call, even if this means serving past 12 or 1 A.M. They should not, however, go out on any additional calls after 12 or 1.All minor ambulance attendants must have employment certificates. These certificates may be obtained through the office of the superintendent of the school district in which the minor attends. Finally, 17-year-olds who have graduated high school are not. considered minors under the Child Labor Law. Therefore, any 17-year-old high school graduate would not be subject to any of the above restrictions. This exemption also applies to those 17-year-olds who have been declared by the chief school administrator to have achieved their academic potential.

Believe this answers your question. Taken from here.

pa132399

Forum Crew Member
pa emt laws

to answer your question on whether or not you can be the technician. Yes but you must be accompanied by a senior emt who is above the age of 18. you can run and obtain your emt in pa at 16 it is not provisional it is the certification you get it does not change when you turn 18 just you can run by yourself.

i got my emt right as i turned 17 ran with it and now i sit here at 19 as a paramedic get your experience and hopefully the above helps.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
First, From The Rules:

No Legal Advice or Attorney-Client Relationship

Information contained on or made available through EMTLife forums is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, recommendations, mediation or counseling of any kind under any circumstance and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Do not act on or rely on any information from EMTLife Message Boards without consulting with a licensed attorney.

I AM NOT A LAWYER

You've gotten your answer, above, from the PEHSC site.

This isn't a question that should be answered on a message board. This is a question that should be answered by your company and Regional staff.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Contact your state EMS office rather than rely on the opinions of people that in many cases based on there comments obviously don't know as much as they think they do.

Hey, I resemble that remark!;)

Asclepius911

Forum Lieutenant
A 16 y/o Emt, would that scare a patient? Lol, smart kid though at 16 I was deep into skateboarding and learning how to woo girls.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
"LEGALLY, can a 16 year old EMT"

That's a question requesting legal advice, sorry I didn't catch it before.

Thread Closed.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
That's a question requesting legal advice, sorry I didn't catch it before.

Thread Closed.
^Thanks Russ... I meant to do that earlier, but the lock didn't go through.

Status
Not open for further replies.