Lava lamp explodes, killing 1

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Lava lamp left on hot stovetop explodes, killing man

Courtesy of CNN.com: http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/11/30/lava.lamp...h.ap/index.html

KENT, Washington (AP) -- A man who placed a lava lamp on a hot stovetop was killed when it exploded and sent a shard of glass into his heart, police said.

Philip Quinn, 24, was found dead in his trailer home Sunday night by his parents.

"Why on earth he was heating a lava lamp on the stove, we don't know," Kent Police spokesman Paul Petersen said Monday.

After the lamp exploded, Quinn apparently stumbled into his bedroom, where he died Sunday afternoon, authorities said.

Police found no evidence of drug or alcohol use.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Nov 30 2004, 01:57 PM
Police found no evidence of drug or alcohol use.
:blink:

Better look again.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Nov 30 2004, 04:57 PM
"Why on earth he was heating a lava lamp on the stove, we don't know," Kent Police spokesman Paul Petersen said Monday.
Well, let's see. The way a lava lamp works (I believe) is that the light in the bottom warms the lava, causing it to rise. When the lava gets to the top it cools and sinks to the bottom. The lamp reheats the lava and raises it back to the top, repeating the process again until the lamp is turned off.

Maybe he was experimenting, seeing if he can get the same result using the stove instead of the light. I'm guessing the experiment failed.

Chimp

P.S. Add this one to the Darwin Awards list?

ma2va92

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by Chimpie+Nov 30 2004, 06:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chimpie @ Nov 30 2004, 06:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rescuecpt@Nov 30 2004, 04:57 PM
Well, let's see. The way a lava lamp works (I believe) is that the light in the bottom warms the lava, causing it to rise. When the lava gets to the top it cools and sinks to the bottom. The lamp reheats the lava and raises it back to the top, repeating the process again until the lamp is turned off.

Maybe he was experimenting, seeing if he can get the same result using the stove instead of the light. I'm guessing the experiment failed.

Chimp

P.S. Add this one to the Darwin Awards list? [/b][/quote]
sounds like you have done something like this.. or maybe just a well informed lava lamp expert..... won't say what we used to do with them.. then i would be dating myself... hahahahhahah

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
sounds like you have done something like this.. or maybe just a well informed lava lamp expert..... won't say what we used to do with them.. then i would be dating myself... hahahahhahah

You're kidding right? 'ole Chimp is a Lava Lamp expert. Whenever I'm in need of decorating my college apartment, I send 'ole Chimp and e-mail, something along the lines of "What colors will go with my black couch," and 'ole Chimp will list of his personal favorites.

That's a crazy story.

DonQ

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by Chimpie@Nov 30 2004, 06:19 PM
P.S. Add this one to the Darwin Awards list?
For real... :blink: