Laptop For EMT training?

Seirende

Washed Up Paramedic/ EMT Dropout
I made it through a college semester with a tablet that my mom got on sale for $50. You really don't need anything fancy. For my nursing courses the school "HIGHLY" recommended an iPad bundle that came out to like $700. I got an on sale touchscreen laptop for $400 which has been more than sufficient.

Now for EMT class, which I did about six years back, I just had the textbook, a notebook, and pencils.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Honestly the only reason I'd consider buying a laptop for any class (whether that's EMT, Paramedic, or any other college class really) would be A) I didn't already have a functioning laptop and B) they absolutely positively, will fail you if you don't have one, require you to have your own.

And unless the instructors said to bring it, I wouldn't even think of doing that, I'd just use the book and notepaper, and actually have to pay attention to what the instructor is saying.

Then again, maybe at 30 I'm just getting old lol

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Sidenote... when I brought my laptop a couple times to paramedic school I just ended up looking at guns and gun parts instead of listening to lectures... all the other times I used "old skool" pen and paper.
That's why I don't like students using laptops in class... they just that, and then complain when they do poorly on the exams or during practical evaluations. Suffice it to say, when you don't pay attention in class, and then fail the exams, my level of sympathy drops significantly.

The biggest issue I have with the MacBook Pro is the cost. Many people love the MBP, say it's much better than a windows laptop, because it's faster, brighter, etc. Of course, they are usually comparing it to a windows PC that costs less than $500, so of course a $1500 will blow it out of the water .... Now if you buy a $1,500 windows PC, it will blow the MAC out of the water, especially when you factor in all the compatibility issues that you don't have, compared to having a MAC.

I have an iPad 2 which is about 8 years old, which I take to conferences and in class. No internet unless wifi, nothing fancy. I take notes, and when I am done, I can transfer to my PC or email them to my self. and It syncs to my windows PC with no issues (well, other than itunes is a horribly bloated application, but I digress...)

I've had my laptop for 8+ years, and the only thing I needed to replace, due to a failure, was the battery, which is completely normal. And if you drop any laptop, you can break it. I currently dual boot my laptop between windows and linux, simply because my laptop is getting older and linux runs coolers than windows (but Itunes doesn't run on linux, and I'm too lazy to set up a windows VM using wine in linux).

One thing to keep in mind: a tablet doesn't replace a computer. you can do many things like a computer, but for actual work, an actual computer has more power, more storage abilities, and can function independently without a network connection for longer. I'll play with my tablet, but when I need to do real work, like write a paper or do research, give me a real mouse and keyboard any time.

Last edited:

Tx1Nguyen

Forum Probie
Personally I’ve used google docs for the past 5 years so I’m going with a basic $200 Chromebook.
Also allows me to keep track off all my assignments on Google calender! Good luck!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It depends on what your program is using for an LMS. If you are taking a course with my Brady lab or using the Jones and Bartlett navigate applications, they function better on a laptop than they do on a tablet. They are impossible to use on a phone.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I'm not sure if this post was just a spam post for the PC software company or not (first post, no real info other than a reason to check out their site), but as an IT guy, I wanted to correct some of the statements:
Hello, Windows may be the best and the most popular operating system in the world, but it also has its own problems, like apps that worked on windows 7 and lower that doesn't work on Win 10
If you have an app that worked in windows 7, but doesn't work in Windows 10, than your problem should be either with the app manufacturer who requires you to run on an operating system that is 10 years old, or your self for failing to update or upgrade your app to version that uses technology from this decade
Why? Why I should download an antivirus program that protects my PC from external threats, they could install it as incorporated in the operating system.
That already exists in Windows 10. it's called Windows Defender. However, you should not forget that the antivirus applications are security programs and Microsoft is NOT a security company. that's why it's best to leave that up to a company that has a dedicated focus on security. Personally, I'd rather deal with a company that specializes in security, vs dealing with a huge behemoth that is jack of all trades masters of none.
I am happy that there are other software developers, that will help you when you are in need.
good software developers are needed, to develop good software. they could be hired by those companies to update their apps so they work with Windows 10.
Even a week ago my PC started to slow down, because of the junk files I forgot to delete on it, thankfully I have found some best pc tune up software and fixed it.
ahh yes, the spam plug. I have a script that clears your cookies and cache. it's free. no need to waste money because "junk files I forgot to delete." just delete them. or, instead of paying someone to do it for you, take a class so you can learn how to do it yourself.
I think you should easily find and good windows notebook on Intel i5 for 500$ that is good for EMT.
Sure. but do you need it? with FISDAP and online data entry stuff, having a laptop/tablet can help, but you can't forget to actually pay attention in class, do all of the hands-on practice, and study the materials.

Last edited by a moderator:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Im still laughing at the whole "Windows may be the best" part.