LA/OC EMS

Ayip

Forum Ride Along
Hi All, I recently moved to the US and studying in the US currently,
and I am trying to find an EMT-B job around LA/OC or even Kern County area after I graduate in May
However, my work permit won't start until the end of June. (Of course I want to start working right when my work permit becomes effective so that I can start paying my bills)

Questions:
1. When would you all recommend for me to start applying to jobs??

2. Anyone working in 911 companies or IFT companies could give me some insights on how I can ace the written tests, interviews and lift tests to increase my chance to get hired?
(I got my EMT-B license for three years now, and I interned in ER/ STEMI receiving center before and currently working for a NCAA division 1 athletic medicine program.)

3. I know a lot of people have asked this before, but anyone can recommend some decent companies that I could work for? (I am going to apply everywhere, but still I could use some great advises from you all)
Maybe providing a little more details on the working environment etc?

THANKS!

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
You will have to wait for your work permit to come through. EMTs are a dime a dozen and no company is going to hold a spot waiting for your work permit to com through.

ResRednek

Forum Probie
The written tests at most companies are national registry test, multiple choice nothing off the wall same with skills. From everything I've read Kern county EMS kicks the crap out of LA and OC. There are plenty of threads here about people's opinions on legit and shady companies

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
The Southern California EMS thread has some great info on it, I would look there first.