Key chain Airway

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Bah. Who needs one of those...if you've got a pen and a knife, you can be like Father Mulcahey on M*A*S*H and do your own emergency airway any time, any place. Well, you'd need Hawkeye on the radio, too. :D

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
I forsee this being a big hit at county fairs..just add a little screen...

hocomedic

Forum Crew Member
This is just special the things that people come up with just amazes me

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I think i'll be fine with my 3in Gerber and a stiff drinking straw, not that I was planning on doing a field tracheotomy, or anything like that.

Asimurk

Forum Captain
I think i'll be fine with my 3in Gerber and a stiff drinking straw, not that I was planning on doing a field tracheotomy, or anything like that.

If your Gerber is anywhere near what I carry usually is, I don't think it would be considered sterile for a surgical procedure.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
If your Gerber is anywhere near what I carry usually is, I don't think it would be considered sterile for a surgical procedure.
I'm pretty sure something you carry on your key chain would be considered for a surgical procedure either.

For the life of me, I can't see a scenario where this product is used that whoever used doesn't go to jail or pay a butt ton of money to somebody.

JPINFV

Gadfly
On one hand, if you ever get to the point of actually needing this, you're at the any port in a storm section of the emergency-mart. Sure, it's not sterile and could give them pneumonia, but at that point at least they're alive to have pneumonia.

Also, if you look at it, the parts that matter should stay fairly clean. The metal cannula and the narrow part of the trochar fits inside the adaptor. The adaptor screws into a cap on the key chain and the trochar has a cap on it's non-pointy side which screws into the adaptor. So, the only things that really should be contaminated is the cap on the trochar and the outside of the BVM adaptor. Of course, this also means that you shouldn't take it a part and screw with it, which just about everyone will at some point.

On the other hand, I find it somewhat hard to believe that people who would be authorized to place a needle cric wouldn't have access to better supplies, including supplies that if they really wanted to, they could carry with them.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
Ah, but in that M*A*S*H episode I referenced earlier, I believe we learned it doesn't need to be sterile. You just need a bottle of 12-y/o scotch lying around, to douse over the equipment.

You might want to take a swig first to steady your nerves... :D