Ketamine

OP
OP
M

Missourimedic38

Forum Crew Member
the drug i learned in medic school was known as a drug of abuse. Supposbly can cause emergence phenomenon

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
We typically give 0.1 to 0.2 mg/kg over 10 minutes for non-dissociative dosing. It is important to that both of timing and dosing effect psychogenic effects and therefore secondary gain.

OP
OP
M

Missourimedic38

Forum Crew Member
We typically give 0.1 to 0.2 mg/kg over 10 minutes for non-dissociative dosing. It is important to that both of timing and dosing effect psychogenic effects and therefore secondary gain.
Peak where you a medic?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Maine's Ketamine protocol for Pain mgmt.

i. Ketamine 0.2 mg/kg IV to a MAX dose of 25 mg 1. Repeat every 15 minutes as needed for pain to a cumulative MA)( dose of 1 mg/kg
ii. Ketamine 0.5 mg/kg IN to a MAX dose of 25 mg 1. Repeat 0.25 mg/kg IN in 15 minutes as needed for pain x 1

For agitation/delirium

Ketamine 4 mg/kg IM. Ketamine may not be used in patients greater than 65 year s old

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
We’re doing extremely low doses of Ketamine in a100ml bag. Like 0.2mg/kg. So a big 250 pound guy only gets like 35mg.
Wouldn’t that be 50mg? Not really that small of a dose.

OP
OP
M

Missourimedic38

Forum Crew Member
Question is how did you do RN school working full time?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Tomorrow is my final...then NCLEX.

I worked 2 sometimes 3 jobs during school.

We had lecture for a few hours a day, twice a week (M&W freshman year, Tues/Thurs senior year). And then we had 12 hour clinical one day a week, every week for entire two years, only exception was our mental health rotation which was 2 six hour days on Thurs and Fri for 6 weeks.

It was very easy to fit work in and around this schedule.

OP
OP
M

Missourimedic38

Forum Crew Member
Tomorrow is my final...then NCLEX.

I worked 2 sometimes 3 jobs during school.

We had lecture for a few hours a day, twice a week (M&W freshman year, Tues/Thurs senior year). And then we had 12 hour clinical one day a week, every week for entire two years, only exception was our mental health rotation which was 2 six hour days on Thurs and Fri for 6 weeks.

It was very easy to fit work in and around this schedule.
Ah. Im on a 48/96. 2 days on 4 off Ff/medic schedule.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Get to shift trading...

Also, attendance for lectures in my program was not mandatory. Only clinicals were. So I did miss many lectures throughout the 2 years, however I networked with classmates and found several who recorded every single lecture and they did not mind emailing to me after class.

OP
OP
M

Missourimedic38

Forum Crew Member
Get to shift trading...

Also, attendance for lectures in my program was not mandatory. Only clinicals were. So I did miss many lectures throughout the 2 years, however I networked with classmates and found several who recorded every single lecture and they did not mind emailing to me after class.
I got to finish my pre reqs. My view on nursing school is I want the knowledge to make me a even better paramedic.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Majority of pre-reqs can be done online these days...and with 48 hours (assuming low call volume with that schedule), you have plenty of time to study and complete them. And nursing school is not in any way going to make you a better paramedic.

OP
OP
M

Missourimedic38

Forum Crew Member
Majority of pre-reqs can be done online these days...and with 48 hours (assuming low call volume with that schedule), you have plenty of time to study and complete them. And nursing school is not in any way going to make you a better paramedic.
So more medical knowledge, being sharper on disease processes, starting IVs constantly in clinicals-wont make you better paramedic?

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Many nurse programs do NOT even do IV training. I did THREE IVs during my clinicals. I would hope if you are a paramedic, you already have solid knowledge base. As an experienced paramedic having just completed nursing school, there was no additional medical knowledge. If you take AnP I and II, Micro and a Pharm course (which is part of your pre-reqs for most programs) you will become a far better provider. And quite frankly, this should be the required education to become a paramedic. Sharper on disease processes...again if you have solid core in those pre-reqs, you are already there.

Additionally, the mindsets and training/education philisophy differences between Paramedicine and Nursing are significantly different.

OP
OP
M

Missourimedic38

Forum Crew Member
Many nurse programs do NOT even do IV training. I did THREE IVs during my clinicals. I would hope if you are a paramedic, you already have solid knowledge base. As an experienced paramedic having just completed nursing school, there was no additional medical knowledge. If you take AnP I and II, Micro and a Pharm course (which is part of your pre-reqs for most programs) you will become a far better provider. And quite frankly, this should be the required education to become a paramedic. Sharper on disease processes...again if you have solid core in those pre-reqs, you are already there.

Additionally, the mindsets and training/education philisophy differences between Paramedicine and Nursing are significantly different.
Ivs are easy. Its just some people are harder sticks-paramedics put too much emphasis on lines, anyone can put em in. More medical knowledge and actually working in hospital in ER, just will make you better no doubt. Your seeing an actual diagnosis and just learning more.