KED boards question

jakobsmommy2004

Forum Crew Member
Can someone please explain the ked and procedure for using one? I do not remember at all using it in class. I got my first ems job and I dont want to sound like an idiot :wacko: lol. thanks

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant
Ok if you didn't go over the KED in class you need to get your money back (and yell at the coordinator of your class).
As for using the KED:
First, Try your textbook. It should have the step-by-step procedure.
Second, wikipedia has them outlined briefly Here.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
jakobsmommy2004

jakobsmommy2004

Forum Crew Member
at the time i think i missed one class. that was probably the day. I did not have it on national registry either :unsure: thanks for the info that helps.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
at the time i think i missed one class. that was probably the day. I did not have it on national registry either :unsure: thanks for the info that helps.

Not to be rude, but did you not practice this over and over? I always mandate each student to apply the KED at least 25-30 times in either class or scenarios situation. We have lab sessions at least once to twice a week, involving equipment working.

This concerns me of the type of training that is being produced now.

R/r 911

OP
OP
jakobsmommy2004

jakobsmommy2004

Forum Crew Member
Not to be rude, but did you not practice this over and over? I always mandate each student to apply the KED at least 25-30 times in either class or scenarios situation. We have lab sessions at least once to twice a week, involving equipment working.

This concerns me of the type of training that is being produced now.

R/r 911

I wish I was in your class! We only touched a backboard, strecher (1/2 hour), Jaws of Life and practiced our practicles, the rest was book exams and quizes oh wait and splinting. I wish they would have had more hands on training. I put that in the class evaulation from at the end of class. but thats not going to help me now.:unsure:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Wow! How disappointing that you got short changed. When I teach Basic they receive at least 1 hour of skills per 1 hour of lecture sometimes it is intertwined Not to be disrespectful, but that is the shame of current EMT courses. There is no way one could expect a person to ever be prepared for patient care with that type of syllabus and training.

I hope this is not the way most EMT courses is being handled.

Personally, I would discuss this with the program coordinator and describe how you felt cheated in skills training. It may not help, but at least let it be known, and possibly report to higher authority such as the State EMS division.

R/r 911

skyemt

Forum Captain
Rid,

fear not... this is not how all the classes are being taught... we probably practiced the KED at least 50 times each, and had to demonstrate our proficiency to our instructor before we were signed off to even take our practical... it was the same with every other skill...we spent at least as much time practicing skills as we did on the lectures and tests...

granted, there seem to be some strange happenings out in these classes, but certainly not in all of them.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree with sky, we had a ton of practice with all the equipment. And it doesn't stop with the end of the class. When recertifying we have to show a yearly skill check on all forms of spinal immobilization and extrication. We use the tools all the time in drills and during training.

skyemt

Forum Captain
I think to jakobsmommy's defense, KED is no longer a required skill for NREMT. But your class should have at least taught you how to remove a person from a car using a rapid extrication technique or short backboard.

Here's a manual for the device:
http://www.epandr.com/downloads/manuals.htm#kode2

actually, spinal immobilzation of a seated patient is still a required skill for NREMT, as it should be... while it does not specifically mention KED, what device do you think is used?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
actually, spinal immobilzation of a seated patient is still a required skill for NREMT, as it should be... while it does not specifically mention KED, what device do you think is used?

An alternative to the KED is a short board-- it is simply a longboard, but shorter... and the straps are prepared differently. Instead of one across the chest, one accross the pelvis and one accross the femur, the straps are often secured in an X over the chest.
splints023.jpg

You should have learned about them, or at least seen one in your basic class. I know in mine that they demonstrated the shortboard before the KED, and we were given a chance to practise with it once or twice, but then forgot about it.

skyemt

Forum Captain
An alternative to the KED is a short board-- it is simply a longboard, but shorter... and the straps are prepared differently. Instead of one across the chest, one accross the pelvis and one accross the femur, the straps are often secured in an X over the chest.
splints023.jpg

You should have learned about them, or at least seen one in your basic class. I know in mine that they demonstrated the shortboard before the KED, and we were given a chance to practise with it once or twice, but then forgot about it.

yes, yes... we didn't practice with them because KED is better... that is the point of this thread...

the classes are not practicing seated immobilization with KED's, they certainly aren't going to back in time and use that stuff...

don't confuse the issue here...

i have helped evaluate several practical exams in my state... every one of them used the KED, not a short board from 20 years ago.

ksffemt

Forum Ride Along
Not only did we have to each skill in front of the lead instructor six times perfectly to pass the class. We would have races amongst each other in teams on each of our skills to see how fast we could do them with out missing a step. As soon as you missed something you stopped and started again.

HikerEMT

Forum Ride Along
Our class has also spent many hours on practical skills. We've done Ked, Longboard, Splinting, O2/Resuscitation/AED, taking vitals, and Assessments so many times I think I could do most of those skills in my sleep, and we still have about 1 1/2 months untill our State Boards.

Another local class in our area is being run just like yours, they touch each skill once or twice but they don't really practice.

Our class is going way beyond the minimum number of hours needed (I think its 110 around here but we'll be probably close to double that).

It seems like it all depends on the instructors discretion whether or not you just go through the motions or you build the base for a long career in EMS.