Just took the NREMT-B test

JackC83

Forum Probie
Really worried I failed. I venture to think I got 70% of the questions right. All the questions were really difficult with multiple answers that sounded right. It was 10x harder than my state exam, and included a TON OF questions, that had not been covered in class.

Does anyone know what the minimum score is to pass the test? Really worried that I'm going to have to take the EMT Class all over since I feel kind of cheated by the class I already took. I passed my initial EMT-B Class with 90%

Test stopped at around 83 questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
the nremt is a best answer test not a right answer test. There are different levels of questions and once you get so many of a certain level right you move on. It is an adaptive test so everyones is different. once it is certain you are 90-95% sure you meet/don't meet the minimum standards it will stop. The also throw in tester questions and questions way above what you should know. There is no set percentage to pass, as i said it is a test designed to see if you meet the minimum standards.

If you failed you might want to research the exam a bit so you know what you are getting yourself into. There are also several good test prep websites that many find useful.

waaaemt

Forum Lieutenant
all i know is that i thought i bombed it when i took it but i passed! i think it's 80% to pass

RackCityEMT

Forum Probie
It does not matter what the score was the most important thing is that you passed. Try not to stress on scores because then you will always make small mistakes. Just be confident and you got it.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Really worried I failed. I venture to think I got 70% of the questions right. All the questions were really difficult with multiple answers that sounded right. It was 10x harder than my state exam, and included a TON OF questions, that had not been covered in class.

Does anyone know what the minimum score is to pass the test? Really worried that I'm going to have to take the EMT Class all over since I feel kind of cheated by the class I already took. I passed my initial EMT-B Class with 90%

Test stopped at around 83 questions.

all i know is that i thought i bombed it when i took it but i passed! i think it's 80% to pass

At the risk of seeming rude, what part of there is NO percentage you have to reach to pass don't people get? It is a CAT (Computerized adaptive test)...it learns as you answer questions and figures out if you know your stuff or just plain shouldn't be there. Read the Wikipedia entry for CAT and maybe you'll understand more (it's actually quite an insightful article)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_testing

Just out of interest, you obviously passed an EMT course, didn't your instructors say anything about the way the NREMT is 'graded'?

And, just for gits and shiggles, here is a non EMS related CAT you can play with to get used to the CAT system of examination:

http://echo.edres.org:8080/scripts/cat/catdemo.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
JackC83

JackC83

Forum Probie
I PASSED IT!!!! I could have sworn I failed, but I also saw that a lot of people who passed thought the same. Wow that test really is different from any that I've ever taken. I'm so excited! Now I just have to get the course director of the most recent refresher course I took (part of the requirements to get AZ EMT-B certification, as I had my EMT training out of state, and had only a WY state EMT-B Cert), and have them submit my psychomotor verification.

SO EXCITED!!!