Just say hello

Another German

Forum Probie
Hey folks,

I am the new one in this forum. Just wanna say hello to everyone here.

Being a german Paramedic with experience in the field since 1996, i am quite interested in getting to know as much as possible about the US EMS as well as the international EMS. So what might be better as using the www for this purpose? :D

So if there are any questions concerning the german EMS (or concerning my person itself), please don´t hesitate to ask.

Thanks in advance for some interesting things to get to know. And please......apologize any possible mistakes in writing or grammar.

CU all folks.

Another German

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig Alan Evans

Forum Lieutenant
Hello, nice to meet you my German cyber friend. I am a paramedic in the USA, Virginia to be exact. I've been here a while. No use dating myself. ;-)

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
How is training to be a paramedic in Germany (Question Mark)

OP
OP
A

Another German

Forum Probie
Hey,

well the education for Paramedics in Germany is regulated by a federal law, which ist valid for all the 16 german states. The time for the education is at present two years. But there are plans, to prolong the education up to three years to get more knowledge an more competences in the job.

There is an education in theory (medic school) for at least 1200 hours and one year of practical training in the field. What you do in the year of pratical training depends on the organization you work for. This means it is possible to work the whole year as a third rider, but it also possible that you work fully responsible together with your colleague on the ambulance. In general you will spent only a few time as a third rider, as a lot of probies are so called "Rettungssanitäter" (something between EMT Basic and Intermediate) who have more or less experience in the job.

According to (differnt) laws in the 16 states you have to full fill in general at least 30 hours of education/training per year. Moreover there are specialized courses a paramedic could attend. For example Mass Incident Commander, Paramedic Instructor, Manager of EMS, an so on.

Due to the 16 states there is a little problem depending the crew on an ambulance. In one state it ist enough to provide an ambulance with one paramedic and a so called suitable person (what means, that this person has to have only a drivers license for the ambulance - no joke!) in another state the law says an ambulance crew is consiting of two paramedics.

A little tricky the german law(s). Isn´t it? :D

Hope to could helped ypu a little. More questions are desired.

Greets

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
Very intersting thanks.