Just One Piece of Advice

Craig Alan Evans

Forum Lieutenant
If you could only give one piece of advice about being a good EMT or medic what would it be?

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
If you could only give one piece of advice about being a good EMT or medic what would it be?

You, like all other homo sapians, were born with a brain. Relax and use it.

OP
OP
Craig Alan Evans

Craig Alan Evans

Forum Lieutenant
I like that one. I posted this on FB and got some really good responses from a wide variety of professions. I'm looking forward to hearing from this vast network of EMS professionals :)

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Not asking you to judge...just share your experience.

I think he meant that as his one piece of advice. A valuable one too that could help prevent burnout. Without judging, you feel less superior and put upon when stupid people call for idiotic reasons and waste the resources of the system, not that I'm bitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Craig Alan Evans

Craig Alan Evans

Forum Lieutenant
I agree. Sorry I misunderstood. It is definitely not our place to judge. I run into this a lot with homeless patients. Meaning I have seen providers judge and nothing good comes from it.

Flyhi

Forum Crew Member
"your worst decision is indecision" especially for the newer medics. The same instructor also used the tag line " Pt history is King while their Signs and Symptoms are Queen."
:blink:

TatuICU

Forum Lieutenant
Two words: Calm Down

Squad51

Forum Crew Member
Calm down and breath. What's the worst thing that can happen? They can code. And do we know how to work a code? Only in our sleep. We're paramedics! Obviously our goal is to not let the pt get to that point, but if they do, we can manage it.

Just a thought but, I thought this was the ALS discussion? Shouldn't this be in the EMS Lounge?

crazycajun

Forum Captain
Always remember it is not our emergency it is theirs. Even though we may think it is a total BS call, they did call 911 for a reason and it is our job and duty to make them as comfortable as possible while understanding their need for medical attention.

MasterIntubator

Forum Captain
Don't get full on greasy pizza..... that GI blockage pt will come, and code.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Just because you don't view it as an emergency doesn't mean it isn't an emergency to the patient and their family. In the end it's not your problem but stay calm, cool, collected and be respectful even if you think their stubbed toe is a load of crap after you just worked a pediatric code with mom screaming and crying in the background.

edit: don't complain about the pay. If you don't like it then do something about it, you knew what you were getting yourself into.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Never stop learning. Don't be boxed in by your certification level or scope of practice. Just because you choose to work at a certain level, that doesn't mean your education has to stop at that level as well. The more you learn, the more you will want to be able to do to help your patients, which in turn, will ultimately make you a better provider.

Also, remember learning takes multiple forms. It doesn't always have to be a classroom and books. Listen to you patients, treat them like human beings with feelings and fears, and hear what they have to say. You will be surprised what they can teach you as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
Pay attention. Just today I had a patient with a chief of green bowel movement that the caregiver noticed and rang 911 - fire was about to send us bls and when I retook vitals I got 60/40 and Brady at p46 verified by the zoll cuff

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If/when you respond to a 911 call check your own pulse before the patient's.

Don't run around like a chicken with its head cut off.

And lastly focus on the whole scene and use common sense. I've had other EMTs who almost walked into the middle of traffic.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
One piece?
Don't try to anticipate the scene, just make sure your unit and you are in their best shape before the run.