Just need to vent

ITguy27

Forum Probie
Hey everyone. I took my nremt basic exam Friday evening. I felt pretty good going in, I finished the class a few months ago and I've been brushing up lightly on everything. After about 45 minutes the test shut off at 70. I had a few wtf questions, but the majority I felt were straightforward and common sense. I went down my list, scene safety, precautions, all that good stuff.

Well I checked this morning and I completely bombed every section. I honestly feel awful and really disappointed. I really want to break into ems to leave my current field, but failing has me questioning everything now. I hate what I do and I feel I honestly have a passion for ems and it is what I've been looking for.

Time to hit up the threads here to get some help. Sorry for the useless post, personal stuff going on so I got no where to vent to except here lol.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Assuming you are in information technology currently, I would look at other avenues within IT. certifications help, and there are plenty of free training you can get. You'll make more money, work better hours, and generally end up in better shape, both emotionally and physically. After 10 years in EMT full time, I just switched back to IT. but EMS is a great part time job.

That being said, take as many of the practice exams as you can find online. you saw it, and had some WTF questions: look up those answers while the questions and concepts are fresh in your mind. make sure you understand not only the correct answer, but why it's the correct answer. It's not rocket science, but if you don't know the material, it will show. You know the old saying, if at first you don't succeed.....

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I’m you bombed every single section I highly doubt any amount of studying will help you to pass the NREMT. Maybe 1-3 sections would be ok but not all of them.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
ITguy, how have you done on other multiple-choice exams? Did you try any practice exams as part of your NREMT prep? How did you do in your EMT class?

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Lots of people fail the test the first time. It doesn't mean you'll never pass it, but it means you weren't prepared. By your report, it would seem like you were woefully underprepared, so dont expect to be done with this any time soon.

You need to purchase a membership at a test prep site. JB learning seems to be the most popular suggestion commonly made here, so it would seem that its either a good choice or they are paying people to shill for them(in which case someone needs to pass me that information). You need to start taking NR test simulators, and researching what you get wrong until you understand the material. When you're consistently putting up passing scores, go back and take the NR again.

If you want to be an EMT, you're going to have to work at it extra hard from here going forward. For whatever reason, your time in class failed to produce baseline understanding, so you're going to have to essentially teach yourself the material or repeat the class.

Harleyjon

Forum Probie
This is a bit late in the game but you said you finished class a few months ago. How long is a few months, and why did you wait? there is a lot of info involved. I would recommend that you test as quickly after class ends as possible. Any way I agree with all that has been said. There are some good pay as you go study sites, There are also many free resources online. Some thing else to check is in the AAOS book Emergency Care and transport of the Sick and Injured, at the beginning of each chapter there are a series of bullet points explaining what you should learn in the chapter. Read those and see if you know what they are talking about. One more thing of great importance is to know and understand the "Patient Assessment Flowchart". Know this forward, backward and upside down. If you can do that you should not have any issues at all