just got hired

T1medic

Forum Crew Member
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, but I would just like to announce I just obtained my first EMT job. It feels like such an accomplishment.

EMTrigger

Forum Probie
Congrats. It its a huge accomplishment. I definately envy you. Go celebrate.

comet2003

Forum Ride Along
Some Advice

Congrats, awsome job. I would like to offer you some advice. Just please do me a favor and dont forget why you became an EMT to help people. Dont let EMS politics interfer with pt. care always do whats best for the pt. with in your scope of practice of course. One other thing dont ever be affraid to talk to someone else about call and ask questions if you dont know. Again way to go you should be proud of yourself.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Well said, Comet!

Some more advice... ask questions... ask how, ask why, and try to LEARN.

What are you going to be doing? 911? Transport? MFR work?

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Job!!

CONGRATS!! ^_^

OP
OP
T1medic

T1medic

Forum Crew Member
its a transport service run by one of the local hospitals. so far its awesome.

sarahharter

Forum Crew Member
hey thats great! congrats! i did transport for awile and i thought that it gave me a chance to refine and work on my skills for when i was running 911!:p

emtmom

Forum Probie
transport service

A Big Congrats! I work transport and love it. My advice is: Sleep, eat and pee when you get the chance. 12 hours round trip is not unusual for us.

It's kinda like trucking, but truckers look at us funny. "what are you haulin' and what are the sissors for?"

Enjoy the job!

OP
OP
T1medic

T1medic

Forum Crew Member
I can definately already tell this is a great learning experince towards my goal of getting a county job. So far every medic I have been with is willing to teach and help me out. I think this is a great stepping stone and should help hoe my skills. Although I do admit, a transpot service is completely different than from what i expected.

EMTrigger

Forum Probie
I can definately already tell this is a great learning experince towards my goal of getting a county job. So far every medic I have been with is willing to teach and help me out. I think this is a great stepping stone and should help hoe my skills. Although I do admit, a transpot service is completely different than from what i expected.

Lucky for you. The first FTO I had was a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: that didn't want to answer my questions and thought he was above everyone else. I asked for another FTO before he got a chance to set me up for failure. What did you expect from transport?

emtmom

Forum Probie
transport job

I am glad that the medics are helpful. I have the same experience in transport.

How is transport different than what you expected?

EMTMOM

OP
OP
T1medic

T1medic

Forum Crew Member
I was expecting more emergency/trauma. But I have been told and due understand that a simple transport of a geriatric patient can quickly turn into a true emergency.

emtmom

Forum Probie
transport.

Yes; transport seems to be more medical than trauma, although we do often transport trauma victims to a higher level of care. I work Ski Patrol in the winter to establish a balance and keep up on my trauma assessment skills.

EMTMOM