Just got back from my first NICU transfer pickup and

Hockey

Quackers
I will say it was quite interesting and I learned quite a bit. Went P-1 with the NICU team to the next county to the small little hospital. Got there as they were getting the baby out. Got to watch it outside the door and window. Was really neat how things are done.

I've been around a NICU floor before so I've seen some small ones but this one at only 23 weeks tops it. So sad but so good to see that there is technology and treatment available to save these babies lives.

Very neat and what a learning experience

tydek07

Forum Captain
I do not mind doing NICU transfers... most people hate them here. But, you can learn so much! The NICU teams here are very nice and willing to allow you to help them. So I am able to be in the room and help. Can't do much of course, as it is their pt not mine, but still learn little things here and there... things that are not taught in the average peds part of paramedic school. I am glad that you liked the experience.

Take Care,
tydek

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Thumbs Up!

I would like to say it takes a very speical person to be able to work on a NICU transport team, many times these folks would come to my old hospital to pick up these tiny patients, and it is true, I am amazed at what they can do and the dedication that is clearly seen. :)

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
I will say it was quite interesting and I learned quite a bit. Went P-1 with the NICU team to the next county to the small little hospital. Got there as they were getting the baby out. Got to watch it outside the door and window. Was really neat how things are done.

I've been around a NICU floor before so I've seen some small ones but this one at only 23 weeks tops it. So sad but so good to see that there is technology and treatment available to save these babies lives.

Very neat and what a learning experience

yeah. i'm on an nicu/picu team and one of the nurses i was working with recently told me that in the mid 80's if they had anything less than 30 weeks gestation, they would just put it in the corner and if it lived, it lived. its amazing how far they've advanced, and now they can have one that is 23 weeks, and actually take care of them.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
yeah. i'm on an nicu/picu team and one of the nurses i was working with recently told me that in the mid 80's if they had anything less than 30 weeks gestation, they would just put it in the corner and if it lived, it lived. its amazing how far they've advanced, and now they can have one that is 23 weeks, and actually take care of them.

Neonatalogists have actually been saving the 23 weekers since I first became involved with NICU which was around 1985. Now, a few hospitals have made claim to 22 weeks and one at 21.5.

The smallest baby I have transported personally was 380 grams.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
Neonatalogists have actually been saving the 23 weekers since I first became involved with NICU which was around 1985. Now, a few hospitals have made claim to 22 weeks and one at 21.5.

thats awesome. yeah i've seen a few almost that small but not quite. this nurse that was telling me about how they used to take care of babies that earlier, got her rn in 86. guess it was just the hospital's capabilities that prevented them from providing much care. have you ever heard of harlequin fetus? we had a team transport one in a month ago, she died after a week. weirdest thing i've seen since i've been with them. here's a link to some info about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlequin_type_ichthyosis

CHITOWNMEDIC

Forum Probie
NICU Transports in Chicago.

I worked at MedEx for a while & they did transports out of Children's Memorial. The teams there were nasty to the medics, rude, & didn't care for them. On the other hand we did the NICU's out of U of I & their teams were great all the time. Never understood why people had to be so nasty toward Paramedics?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Never understood why people had to be so nasty toward Paramedics?

It depends on how the EMT(P)s approach the team. There are few medical professionals who take their job and responsibility as serious as the NICU/PICU dedicated Specialty teams. If you have a sloppy truck or mannerisms, they probably won't want you near the infant. If you are crude in your remarks, they will "circle the wagons" around the baby. They are just very, very protective toward their patients. It doesn't matter what your title is. They will hover and protect.

These are also very difficult teams to get on in some places. Few will have less than 5 years experience in the NICU and it may take a couple of years prior to that to get in. It can be highly competitive with little room for error. The initial requirements and continued requirements for education, training and competencies are rigorous. Their continuing education may be like taking a paramedic program each year...only more demanding.

Now with all that being said, if you present yourself as a professional, you will most likely be guaranteed a great learning experience. However, some EMT(P)s consider these transports just an easy ride and sit up front. That ambulance crew may set the mood with the Specialty team for the next transport.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief

saw a baby today that is 290 grams. so tiny.