Just Finished My First Ride Along

Mad Max

Forum Probie
So nearing the end of my EMT-IV class, I've been a little hesitant about the ride alongs, as I'm well versed in the "book learnin;" aspect of the job, but lets just say my technical abilities are not quite what they should be. I mean, you give me some splints and some triangular bandages and I look like a monkey doing a math problem. Anywho, I just finished my first shift at the local EMS, and all I've got to say is I can't believe they actually pay you people for this job. It was freakin' amazing. So what if I only had two non-emergent calls over the span of eight hours? For the ten minutes I spent in the back of the ambulance, bouncing down the road with full lights and siren, I felt like I was on a ride at Disney World. And I don't care how much of a squirrel it makes me sound like, but when I was dealing with the patients, I kept thinking, "Heck yeah! Who just took your blood sugar, this guy!" Or, "That's right, I'm holding your hand all the way to the hospital, who's the man?" Basically, all the excitement came from the fact that for the first time in my life, something didn't feel like a job. So I've got my next ride coming up tomorrow night, should get a little more volume considering it's the weekend, here's hoping at least. Somebody please tell me it's all right for me to be this hyped about EMS, otherwise, I might start to feel a little strange.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Somebody please tell me it's all right for me to be this hyped about EMS, otherwise, I might start to feel a little strange.

You are young, but you will learn...lol

medickat

Forum Crew Member
If you do what you love, you will never work a day in your life.

I've been in EMS for nearly 6 years, and have run probably a couple thousand calls. I can't lie, the lights and sirens still excite me deep down.

OP
OP
M

Mad Max

Forum Probie
I can only hope that things work out so that I can have this career for the rest of my life, as Medickat put succinctly, the lights and sirens do indeed excite me somethin' fierce. My second ride was more or less an exercise in futility, moving from a Behavioral that turned out to be domestic abuse, to abdominal pain secondary to diverticulitis, and finally, a respiratory distress though the patient was a DNR. It was still exciting to get to hit the road on these calls, but it just felt sucky not really being able to do anything for any of these people other than transport, and in the last case, give comforting measures as well. I mean, it didn't hit me when I was on the call, which is a good thing, I suppose, but a few hours after I left the station, I couldn't stop thinking about the fact that that last patient was probably going to die before the night was over, if not sooner, and more so the fact that I could see in her eyes that she was well aware of that fact. I guess I'm just in a weird place seeing as how I'm super excited about being able to do EMS as a career, but at the same time, why should be so excited about seeing things like this?

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I can only hope that things work out so that I can have this career for the rest of my life, as Medickat put succinctly, the lights and sirens do indeed excite me somethin' fierce. My second ride was more or less an exercise in futility, moving from a Behavioral that turned out to be domestic abuse, to abdominal pain secondary to diverticulitis, and finally, a respiratory distress though the patient was a DNR. It was still exciting to get to hit the road on these calls, but it just felt sucky not really being able to do anything for any of these people other than transport, and in the last case, give comforting measures as well. I mean, it didn't hit me when I was on the call, which is a good thing, I suppose, but a few hours after I left the station, I couldn't stop thinking about the fact that that last patient was probably going to die before the night was over, if not sooner, and more so the fact that I could see in her eyes that she was well aware of that fact. I guess I'm just in a weird place seeing as how I'm super excited about being able to do EMS as a career, but at the same time, why should be so excited about seeing things like this?

Hold onto that excitement. From what I've seen the people who are able to muster up excitement over an interesting call are the ones least likely to burn out. It's when medics get blasé over every call that they seem to start that burnout faze.

And yes I did just use the word blasé in a sentence and I'm pretty damn proud of myself. Been waiting years to use that word :)

SoCal911

Forum Lieutenant
It still doesn't feel like a job to me and I've been in it a year. I enjoy it, the job part comes in when you have to deal with the political side, management and paperwork.

OP
OP
M

Mad Max

Forum Probie
I'm with you on the job part, man. The paperwork on my end isn't so bad so far, I wouldn't mind doing PCR's so much if they let us students use the narrative method rather than the Chart-e, though that's just my opinion, me being a wannabe writer and all. As far as politics go, thankfully, I haven't had to witness any of it myself, the crew that I've stuck with for my rides doesn't really seem the type to delve much into that stuff, as they are young compared to some of the other veterans in the service, though I have heard some pretty bad stories about gossip and the like from some of the other students in my class. I suppose every "noble profession" has it's dark side, huh?

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
I'll admit that I've gotten a little jaded as far as dealing with old people. Not a big fan of seeing "74 yom..." on my computer. I don't treat them any differently, but on the way there I'm a little grumpy.

That said, most other calls I'm still giddy as a school girl. I can't help it, I have a hero complex. Even if it's "I stubbed my toe at 3am, help me!" I can't help but love what I am doing.

Screwby

Forum Ride Along
I'm about 4 months in and still get excited. Granted the mundane washing of ambulances, keeping station clean, stocking the rig type stuff gets old, but it's worth the payoff of having a damn cool job so far! As with any job there are going to be ups and downs, but how many jobs afford you the opportunity to become part of such a diverse and close nit "family"?

By the way..I'm a long time lurker, but new member :)

Last edited by a moderator:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I'll admit that I've gotten a little jaded as far as dealing with old people. Not a big fan of seeing "74 yom..." on my computer. I don't treat them any differently, but on the way there I'm a little grumpy.

That said, most other calls I'm still giddy as a school girl. I can't help it, I have a hero complex. Even if it's "I stubbed my toe at 3am, help me!" I can't help but love what I am doing.

I am not quite giddy, but I really do go away from many calls very happy that I *got* to be there for the people.

I am right there with ya, I love this job.

awesomemedic

Forum Probie
It's nice to hear about some people still being excited about this field of medicine. A lot of medics I know grumble at any call, any hour of the day. I hope your excitement never goes away, I would love to have a partner that gets excited about taking a blood sugar instead of looking at me like I just asked them to carry the patient on their back to the hospital.

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
I just got my first ems job as an emt-b. The way that area I work in is set up great for bls. Especially for those who want to learn a lot and go on a lot of 911 calls. I love every single 911 call I go on. I love the job. I love every minute of it. I get excited for it and look at every call as a way to learn more and make myself a better emt. Especially when als is on scene they have been really nice to me as the new guy. They have talked to me and explained/taught me things. Idk I have only worked 4 shifts so far 41 hours of third ride time. Idk I just think its awesome. Everyday is different every call is different. Idk how people can get tired of this. Sure there have been bs calls but I didn't complain. Idk man I don't think its wrong to feel like this but I hear this feeling dies away eventually. Maybe it will maybe it wont but for now I am gonna enjoy my job and you should to. I sound like a giddy little school girl haha. But I mean I am sure its how we all got into this field. So why not stay like that your whole career!

Last edited by a moderator:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I just got my first ems job as an emt-b. The way that area I work in is set up great for bls. Especially for those who want to learn a lot and go on a lot of 911 calls. I love every single 911 call I go on. I love the job. I love every minute of it. I get excited for it and look at every call as a way to learn more and make myself a better emt. Especially when als is on scene they have been really nice to me as the new guy. They have talked to me and explained/taught me things. Idk I have only worked 4 shifts so far 41 hours of third ride time. Idk I just think its awesome. Everyday is different every call is different. Idk how people can get tired of this. Sure there have been bs calls but I didn't complain. Idk man I don't think its wrong to feel like this but I hear this feeling dies away eventually. Maybe it will maybe it wont but for now I am gonna enjoy my job and you should to. I sound like a giddy little school girl haha. But I mean I am sure its how we all got into this field. So why not stay like that your whole career!

It is possible to maintain this general thought process. The excitement wears off, annoying people really do annoy you, and everything stops being new.

The thing to remember when you are staring burnout in the face is that only you are responsible for how you respond to any given situation. Choose a positive attitude, be thankful for a job you love, look for your positive contribution to the world each day and be glad you got to help someone out.

When you find yourself slipping into negativity, and you will, just push it back. Do not engage. Actively seek the positive, encouraging and helpful person you are now.

This job can last a lifetime, but only if you enjoy it. Every day. And just like you can choose to like anything, you can make a choice to like your job too. When it slips, fake it till you make it.

OP
OP
M

Mad Max

Forum Probie
All I can say, is as long as I get to keep bouncing down the road in the back of an ambulance with full lights and sirens with "Stayin' Alive" blasting on the radio, I'm going to be a pretty happy guy. Getting to work some calls is just icing on the cake.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I love my job. With that said there are things I don't like about it either.

I try to never grumble about calls but when you show up at a frequent flyer's house for the same complaint they have every time which could easily be avoided if they were med compliant it does get annoying. Or picking up drunk people downtown. We were recently on the news for being the city with the most alcohol consumed per capita in the nation...It makes for a lot of drunk calls. Drunks are funny and can be interesting and entertaining calls, but they also take up resources that could be used elsewhere and 9 times out of 10 do not require an ambulance, let alone an ER visit. Usually all they need is a couple bottles of water and a nice nap on their side whether it be in their own bed or in the drunk tank.

Cindigo

Forum Crew Member
It is possible to maintain this general thought process. The excitement wears off, annoying people really do annoy you, and everything stops being new.

The thing to remember when you are staring burnout in the face is that only you are responsible for how you respond to any given situation. Choose a positive attitude, be thankful for a job you love, look for your positive contribution to the world each day and be glad you got to help someone out.

When you find yourself slipping into negativity, and you will, just push it back. Do not engage. Actively seek the positive, encouraging and helpful person you are now.

This job can last a lifetime, but only if you enjoy it. Every day. And just like you can choose to like anything, you can make a choice to like your job too. When it slips, fake it till you make it.

That is such great advice for work and for life. I'm feeling overwhelmed today in the life department. Thanks for sticking that in my head.