Just completed my 1st EMT-B class

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
So, here it is 12 hours and change before my State Practical exam. I went to bed at 9 and have done nothing but run through that stations in my head 100 times. I know the stations well, (I got 100% on my practical for my class) yet I am still nervous. Going to try and go back to bed. Just figured since I started the thread I'd give an update. Hope everyone is home safe and having a good night.

- Gray

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine, you seem to have spent a great deal of time and energy studying, so I wouldn't worry too much.

pepper

Forum Probie
I am enjoying reading all the post here, but especially those fresh in school gives me some ideas of what to expect during training. Keep it up!

hatsuo

Forum Crew Member
I just finished EMT-B, took the NR and passed. It's the best thing that has happened to me. I know exactly how you are feeling. Keep at it!!

OP
OP
Gray

Gray

Forum Lieutenant
Sorry I haven't been on a lot around here, been helping my father who is 71 do things around his home. so good news, I got my Postcard in the mail today saying I may take the written. I am very excited. One step closer to being an "Ambulance Driver" :) .

mintygood

Forum Crew Member
I think that's awesome how excited you are about class! From what I have seen, they need more people like that! I just completed my EMT-IV course. I really liked it & worked hard. The thing that kinda killed my attitude some were the slackers in class. And there were quite a few. I have heard that this is pretty much the norm. There were just a handful of other students in my class who I enjoyed being around, and they were really good too.

Keep up the good work & enthusiasm!

holy crap, a fellow EMT-IV!

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Sorry I haven't been on a lot around here, been helping my father who is 71 do things around his home. so good news, I got my Postcard in the mail today saying I may take the written. I am very excited. One step closer to being an "Ambulance Driver" :) .

Congrats man. Good luck with the written, you'll do fine!

emtME

Forum Probie
love reading your enthusiasm. I feel the same way and I am oh-so-excited to get crackin' on this class! =) Mine is supposed to start in a week and some change (if they don't cancel it, that is! I'll be so sad if they do... the only other one in my area is an hour away from my house and not doable with my work schedule.).

WoodyPN

Forum Crew Member
I'd just take a sweatshirt with you. Keep one in your car, or if its your station, your locker.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
So since I'm starting my class at the end of this month should I wear knee pads? I'm 6'5 260lbs

Only time you spend a lot of time on the ground is with cardiac arrest patients. You are going to be hurting everywhere regardless, so its up to you if you want to wear knee pads for this one particular event. You would probably be better off just carrying a hospital towel in onscene that you can use if need be. We keep a small towel on our stretchers.

Niccigsu

Forum Crew Member
So glad I'm not the only one excited. I just finished my first week of AEMT classes. This week we should start getting into the book more and starting CPR. We have to wear our uniforms to class so I have already ordered my 5.11 ems pants and yes I got knee pads cause I've heard about all the time we will be spending on CPR. We started out with 35 people in the class last Tuesday and we have lost 3 already. The teacher got straight to the point and told us he would be surprised if half of us were left when we graduate this time next year.

EMSpassion94

Forum Crew Member
Hi guys and girls, just wanted to follow up. I just finished my class and I got a solid B. Really wish I got an A but it is what it is. The further we got into class the more I realized how little a Basic knows with this amount of class time. So I am planning on taking a few Anatomy/Physiology classes to further expand my knowledge and be a better EMT. I am also going to take a ASL session, and in a few months start learning Spanish. I challenge the state on July 30th and I am very excited.

TL;DR

Passed my class, challenging state and expanding my knowledge.

PS - Where can I get EMT boots, shears, do I need a window punch, where do I get EMT pants with 20 pockets and what kind of lights should go in my POV? Just kidding. I am anti-whacker. ^_^

EMS/Fire supplies: www.thefirestore.com

EMS pants: www.5.11.com

Also propper makes some pretty good pants. I think thoroughgood is the brand of my boots? not positive.

I keep a small flashlight, 3inch tape, trauma shears, penlight, notepad, pocket knife, pen, county I.D. badge, and EMT protocol book in my pants at all times. If i'm going on a N/V call, I usually stick an emesis bag in my pocket, just to be on the safe side. By the time I tried to get the emesis bag out of the jump bag a couple N/V calls ago, they no longer needed it. HINT HINT.

It might seem a little silly to be carrying around all this stuff, but when you need something, and you need it quick, it definitely comes in handy. My partners have learned to just look at me and ask for what they need, cause they know I have it. ^_^

Oh, and ALWAYS keep at least 1 or two extra pair of gloves in your pockets. They will definitely come in handy on some calls. ;)

Good luck with everything! :)

OP
OP
Gray

Gray

Forum Lieutenant
Just to follow up on the thread, I passed my OEMS test this morning. I am now an EMT-B. I feel like it's the beginning of my journey not the end. :)

Anjel

Forum Angel
Just to follow up on the thread, I passed my OEMS test this morning. I am now an EMT-B. I feel like it's the beginning of my journey not the end. :)

Congrats!

stlukescj11

Forum Crew Member
Congrats, Your prolly done with the class by now but Im a new member. I just did my CPR course about 2 weeks ago and passed. It was super exciting to pass that. Bigger and better tests coming