Just broke the seal on an airline jump kit

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If you want to be proactive, tell the flight attendants when you get on the plane that you're willing to help in an emergency. I make a point to do this.

You do? What's the usual reaction?

I'd feel like they'd view me was a whacker if I went up and said "I'm a Paramedic if you need help".

JPINFV

Gadfly

I'd feel like they'd view me was a whacker if I went up and said "I'm a Paramedic if you need help".

This. Hell, I feel like a wacker as it is walking from my car to the clinic in my lab coat. I can't imagine getting on a ____ and telling anyone that I'm a EMT.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Heck, I just sit back and enjoy the ride! Never had an incident occur on a plane but I do teach corporate pilots from time to time. Always wondered who'd fly the plane if something happened ^_^

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

Usually it's something to the effect of "Thank you so much. It's nice to know we have help if we have a sick passenger." Twice, when I've said this, the flight attendants have offered me a better seat after everyone got on board. One of these got me a seat in business class on a 757. Given the cattle car feel of most airlines nowadays, anything to help get a more comfortable seat is fine by me.

What is nice is when I check in for Lufthansa flights, apparently my account is flagged as a result of what happened (I assume it's flagged because the counter personnel look at the screen, look up and start kissing my butt without me having to mention my upgrade card). Pretty much I get put to the front of the boarding queue and will get an upgrade whenever a better seat is available.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
This. Hell, I feel like a wacker as it is walking from my car to the clinic in my lab coat. I can't imagine getting on a ____ and telling anyone that I'm a EMT.

Same... and I don't think my opinion will change after medic school. I feel like a whacker just wearing an EMS t-shirt around.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
When I read this, I can't help but think of the Janitor from Scrubs...

I guess I just never realized how you pick up just from working here. I heard someone yell 'Hold that woman's legs down!' and I instinctively knew what to do.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Pt. Assessment [X], IV therapy [X], Pharmacology [X], ITLS [X], Pulmonology [X], ACLS [X], Neonatal Resuscitation [X], Obstetrics and Gynecology [ ], PALS [ ], Endocrinology [ ], Hematology [ ], Infectious Disease [ ], Final Exam [ ], NREMT-P Practical [ ], NREMT-P Written Exam [ ]

:unsure::rolleyes:;):p

lmiller081084

Forum Ride Along
Here are some answers for everyone

Delta has and has had a contract with UPMC (University of Pittsburgh Medical Center) for a while now.

New Rules:

XMK/EEMK Usage: Expands Captain’s authority by allowing Captain to authorize XMK/EEMK use by personnel who have (in the Captain’s judgment) the medical knowledge or skills necessary to use the kit. (Ref NW FOM 7.4.3 and DL FOM 7-4.3)

Albuterol (“Al-BU-ter-all”) Multi-Dose Inhaler (MDI)
Aspirin 325 mg vs. Acetaminophen 325 mg
Atropine (at-ro-peen)
Diphenhydramine (Dye-fen-hide-rah-mean)
Epinephrine (“Ep-ee-NEF-rin”)
Lidocaine (lye-doe-kane).
Nitroglycerine tablets

Cabin Medical Communication System Ships 7101 & Subsequent
A cabin medical communication system is installed to permit direct communication between the cabin and a ground based medical consultant using the first observer’s audio control panel.
In the cabin, six sets of communication jacks are installed on the Passenger Service Units above center seat rows 3, 12, 33, 40, 47 and 55.
A headset is provided for communication and is stored in the aft cabin overhead bin with the AED and EEMK equipment. The headset assembly includes a 12 foot cord, equipped with a Push-To-Talk switch. Once communication is established from the first observer's audio control panel, the cabin crew will have direct communication via the headset.

There are many more items included in the kit. I will try to take some pictures and get some more items that are in the kit tomorrow at work.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
What is the instances of medical emergencies in the air?

Would it be proactive to have a paramedic on board during flights or would that be overkill?

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
Medics will love some of the weird things about the EMKs (Emergency Medical Kits) aboard US aircrafts...the Aviation Medical Assistance Act stipulates the placement of so called "enhanced" EMKs along with an AED aboard when there is at least 1 flight attendant but here are some strange things:

- Although Dextrose 50% is required in the EMK, a glucometer is not
- Although Epi 1:10,000, Atropine and Lidocaine is required in the EMK, a cardiac monitor to let you know if you have VF/PEA/Asystole is not required. The onboard AED is not required to have an EKG screen
- Although syringes and needles are specified, IV catheters gauges are not. I have seen one airline EMK have two 16 G IV needles in their kit, and that was it. (GO BIG OR GO HOME!)
- As mentioned earlier, while an adult BVM is required, it is not required to have fittings that attach to the portable oxygen bottle (P.O.B.)
- Also, most of the aircraft POBs have two settings: LOW (4lpm) and HIGH (6lpm), so don't even bother about pulling out a non-rebreather. The two settings are meant for (i) first aid and (ii) decompression for the cabin crew to walk around to attend to people after the plane has leveled off from the emergency descent.

Some airlines, thankfully, see beyond the minimum and choose to equip their fleet with more stuff. Some of the legacy airlines - such as British Airways - even carry some pretty extensive drugs, at one point even digoxin and nalbuphine was carried. It all depends on a carrier's national requirements, and then airlines can further decide to add addition stuff to the kit.

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant

Not necessarily. Flight attendants are trained to locate "able bodied passengers" (aka ABPs) that may assist in an emergency (unplanned emergency landing, etc.).

Amusingly enough though I've met a decent number of flight attendants who actually are EMTs, paramedics, ER nurses...I would say 90% of flight attendant training is emergency procedures related so EMS providers who become flight attendants are already used to the preparedness mindset.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
lmiller081084,

Welcome to EMTLife and thanks for the information! Is this going to be true on all former NWA ships too?

It was a pain having to use the interphone to relay information to the pilot, who then told me he was relaying it to the "Mayo Clinic" via radio. Lots of details were lost, and it took some time for him to write everything down.

Again, welcome to EMTLife, and I sure would love to see those pictures!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
This thread got interesting, thanks all!

1. By law an aircraft is subject to laws of the territory it is flying over. No liquor over Nebraska on Sundays used to be funny. I suppose local EMS wold waive jurisdiction until landing.
2. Funny contents lists. I bet a committee must have taken a list then cut it down to save money space and weight, then gave their draft to a typist to make into a final product without review by medical authority.
3. If Lufthansa upgrades you, maybe SW will give me an extra pack of nut free snacklike food substance if I save someone?;)

LanCo EMT

Forum Ride Along
Some of the responses on this thread are the reason why I would never feel comfortable posting up anything that I do on the job.

There is really no need to bash someone for doing the best job that they can do in the situation to try and help a Pt.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Some of the responses on this thread are the reason why I would never feel comfortable posting up anything that I do on the job.

There is really no need to bash someone for doing the best job that they can do in the situation to try and help a Pt.

You know, if I tell a story and I make a mistake, I want people to call me on it. You can't fix issues that you don't know is broken. Similarly, there should be back and forth over issues because depending on the information available, multiple people might have multiple views on what should have been done.

Also, I'll make sure to tell my attendings to be nice to me when I start clerkships. I'm sure that'll go over like a lead balloon.
:).

OP
OP
W

webster44

Forum Crew Member

I did feel that I was pretty bashed by certain posters. But I know that when I put something down in writing here that I am subject to that as I have seen it happen to others.

I do appreciate useful criticism. I am always interested in improving my skills.
- Its really the only reason I read this board -

I'm proud to be an EMT and I'm proud of my performance in this incident.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
a cardiac monitor to let you know if you have VF/PEA/Asystole is not required. The onboard AED is not required to have an EKG screen

The ones I have seen have had monitor screens. We diverted to Iceland on one flight because the guy was in sustained VT.

Amusingly enough though I've met a decent number of flight attendants who actually are EMTs, paramedics, ER nurses

I know one who flies (flew?) for Cathay Pacific who is trained as a physician (at the insistance of his family...he quit after completing an internal medicine residency because he hated the field).

I have seen one airline EMK have two 16 G IV needles in their kit, and that was it. (GO BIG OR GO HOME!)
..or "Go EJ or go home!". ;)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Original specs for "Stewardess" included a RN certificate.

Be a beeatch if you divert and land only to find the ground EMS is no better than what you have on board.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Be a beeatch if you divert and land only to find the ground EMS is no better than what you have on board.

Note: do not land in Iceland.