Joining a SAR Team

JCyrus

Forum Crew Member
Hi!

I'm a fifteen year old high school student hoping to join a local search and rescue group sometime in the future. When I turn 16 in a few months, I will have the ability/opportunity to take the EMT class or the First Responder class at my county community college. The EMT course is two nights a week for 18 weeks, while the first responder course is only 7 weeks.

I was thinking that having one of these certifications would make me slightly more of an asset to the team, and that I would be even more qualified than more people.

Anyway, I plan to eventually get my EMT certification when I'm in college, no matter what.

I was just wondering if First Responder certification is really even worth it, or if I should head straight for EMT?

Thanks in advance..

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome to the group.

Speaking as a first responder, if you're goal is to be an EMT then just take the EMT class. Don't waste your time on the FR course. My employer paid for my training and I had no desire to be an EMT so I didn't need to take the next step. But if you're wanting to take the EMT class then go for it.

Chimp

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
second that...

Where are you from?

Jon

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
FR's a good course, but if you're going to do EMT anyway, its redundant. I've had a couple students recently in my Red Cross classes who were taking FR and then EMT right after...told them they're going to be surprised how similar they are. FR covers most of the same stuff EMT does...EMT mainly gets into more detail.

Now, if you want to see if you like it first without making too big of a committment, it might be the way to go. But if you can do it, I'd join the others and say go straight for EMT.

Most of the members of our SAR team (which is a mountain SAR team) are EMTs. In fact, our EMS Coordinator is also theirs, so we do joint drills when them frequently.

rescuemedic7306

Forum Crew Member
Originally posted by SafetyPro@May 11 2005, 01:51 AM
FR's a good course, but if you're going to do EMT anyway, its redundant. I've had a couple students recently in my Red Cross classes who were taking FR and then EMT right after...told them they're going to be surprised how similar they are. FR covers most of the same stuff EMT does...EMT mainly gets into more detail.

Now, if you want to see if you like it first without making too big of a committment, it might be the way to go. But if you can do it, I'd join the others and say go straight for EMT.

Most of the members of our SAR team (which is a mountain SAR team) are EMTs. In fact, our EMS Coordinator is also theirs, so we do joint drills when them frequently.
Absolutely right...FR is OK if you have limited time and $$, but if you are intending to be an EMT anyway, then don't waste your time, take the EMT course. You will also be more valuable to any SAR team that you want to join.

jafo

Forum Probie
You guys all missed one thing. Young Hobbes here is 15, he/she probably can't take the EMT course until 18 depending on State Regs. In NY it is 18 for EMT and 16 for CFR.
Get the CFR, get some experience, and see if you like it. Then you will have an easier decision to make. Also, with SAR you might want to consider WFR or WEMT which could be much more useful in your area. You learn a whole lot more in the WIlderness versions of the certifications, because patient mainteance is more critical. It is frequently a "stay and play" situation in the backcountry, as oppoesed to the "Load and Go' which happens in street medicine.
Just a few thoughts.
Jafo

rescuejew

Forum Lieutenant
the world needs more good EMTs! :D

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by jafo@May 11 2005, 04:24 AM
You guys all missed one thing. Young Hobbes here is 15, he/she probably can't take the EMT course until 18 depending on State Regs. In NY it is 18 for EMT and 16 for CFR.
However the original post says:
When I turn 16 in a few months, I will have the ability/opportunity to take the EMT class or the First Responder class at my county community college.
We were just going by the information that was given to us.

;)

jafo

Forum Probie
Yeah sorry Chimpie, missed that little detail "or EMT". Still I find that surprising becaue I don't know of any state that allows EMT at 16. So where do you hail form Hobbes?

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by jafo@May 11 2005, 11:43 AM
Yeah sorry Chimpie, missed that little detail "or EMT". Still I find that surprising becaue I don't know of any state that allows EMT at 16. So where do you hail form Hobbes?
There are a couple, although I can't name them off the top of my head.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt+May 11 2005, 11:48 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuecpt @ May 11 2005, 11:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jafo@May 11 2005, 11:43 AM
There are a couple, although I can't name them off the top of my head. [/b][/quote]
In My EMT class there was a group of under-18y/o's. Two of us (inc. myself) started the class before turning 16 (State of PA says ok to start the class at 15, you must be 16 when you take the state test).

Other than PA, I don't know who does EMT at 16. NREMT will not Register you until you are 18, which BLOWS, because I would have to go thru all the practicals again....

Jon

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
We had a 17 y/o in my EMT class....I'm in Florda.

OP
OP
J

JCyrus

Forum Crew Member
MedicStudentJon has it right. I'm in PA... Suburbs of Pittsburgh to be exact...

The local community college is actually fairly reputable, most of the volunteer fire-departments do fire-school at this college. They offer both EMT and First Responder to anyone 16. I'll be 16 next January, and I hope to take the class in the summer 2006 session...

The thing however is the absolute lack of usefulness. I can be an EMT at 16 years old, but none of the local ambulance companies, volunteer or paid, want anyone under 18...

What you guys have said pretty much is what I've been thinking. I figure, next summer, I'll look at my schedule and see how busy I am. If I have time to take the EMT course, then I'll probably take it, but if not, I can still probably squeeze in the FirstResponder...

OP
OP
J

JCyrus

Forum Crew Member
Another thing:

I didn't realize that I couldn't get NREMT until I was 18, and that I'd have to retake the practical exams then to get certified/registered.

Is this a major set-back?

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by JCHobbes@May 11 2005, 04:16 PM
Another thing:

I didn't realize that I couldn't get NREMT until I was 18, and that I'd have to retake the practical exams then to get certified/registered.

Is this a major set-back?
It depends. Do you really need your NREMT in PA? Barely anyone I know has it on Long Island - the only people I've heard of are some medics... but when you've got your state, county, and NYC certs, what more could you want?

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
California has adopted the NREMT-B as the state-widecertifying exam (several counties have been using it for some time). However, as I read it, you don't have to actually become Nationally Registered. In other words, the county gives you the NREMT exam but you don't have to go through the whole process with NREMT, or maintain an NREMT certification.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Unless your state requires you to be NREMT, the only advantage to it is that it makes it easier if you move to another state and go through the reciprocity process.

The NREMT got me out of doing everything except the written test when I moved to Washington. Otherwise, I would have had to take the class, take the practicals, and then take the written exam.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by ffemt8978@May 11 2005, 11:19 PM
Unless your state requires you to be NREMT, the only advantage to it is that it makes it easier if you move to another state and go through the reciprocity process.

The NREMT got me out of doing everything except the written test when I moved to Washington. Otherwise, I would have had to take the class, take the practicals, and then take the written exam.
If you plan on moving in the next 3-5 years, and not going on to the ALS level by then, then taking the NR is worth it (The practicals are good review anyway, though). Otherwise, PA doesn't make you take it, and PA medics don't even needit, they just need to PASS THE TEST... whether or not you keep your cert up is between you and the Registry...the state don't care.

As for local squads... you won't find a Job as an EMT until you are 18, but lots of squads will let 16y/o's ride on the bus, you can even write the charts... they must be signed by the crew chief, though, someone over 18 who supervised you on the call...

Jon

PS: As for ALS - You are in PITTSBURG! Home of like, the BEST MEDIC PROGRAM IN THE WORLD!!!