Job offer....legit?

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
I've been browsing for jobs online using Careerbuilder.com, etc. I recently got a call from an MGA Healthcare. The deal was for a traveling EMT job up in Show Low AZ (about 157 miles NNE). The pay is $16/hr plus $50/day for hotel/food/gas, etc. It's a rehab facility and basically the job is to just be there in case a pt has a seizure or something (that was the example he used on the phone).

The guy had me take some skills tests online and fill out an app (with my SSN). He scheduled me to come in and take a CIT class next Monday.

Basically I just want to know what ya'll think about this. The information above is really about all I know about it. Based on this, do you think it's legitimate?

Thanks!

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
sounds legit...did you google the company to see if they exist and what there policies are?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Few questions:

Is the title of the job "EMT"?

Is everything in the job description within AZ EMT's scope of practice?

Are you considered as a "contract" employee?

Who will be writing your checks? The agency or facility?

Will they be doing all the deductions for State and Federal?

Who signed the job description?

Who will be your immediate supervisor?

Who will provide the malpractice insurance for you or will you be expected to show proof?

Any benefits in the package?

How long is the contract?

Are there other medical personnel working at this facility?

What type of "rehab"? PT or Detox? By the example of seizure, I would say detox.

Is this a freestanding facility?

If this is a PT Rehab facility, are they accredited by CARF?

What is the price of hotel rooms?

These are just a few questions I would ask before handing over the SSN.

A nice website does not always mean legit or reputable. Other health care professionals have gotten wise to some of these "travel" companies as there are now literally thousands.

OP
OP
Jeremy89

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
Few questions:

Is the title of the job "EMT"? yes, though the site said paramedic, I clarified over the phone

Is everything in the job description within AZ EMT's scope of practice? I assume so, however, there were questions on the skills tests about many different procedures, some of which were not EMT duties, but there was an "I have assisted in this" option

Are you considered as a "contract" employee? just re-read the description...yes it is a contract

Who will be writing your checks? The agency or facility? excellent question

Will they be doing all the deductions for State and Federal? another great question

Who signed the job description? Travis, who I spoke to over the phone

Who will be your immediate supervisor? not sure

Who will provide the malpractice insurance for you or will you be expected to show proof? also unsure

Any benefits in the package? as far as I know, no

How long is the contract? for me, probably only a few weeks, as he didn't sound willing to work around my college schedule

Are there other medical personnel working at this facility? The rep from the company said he hired 20 other EMT's, but didn't mention anything about the facility

What type of "rehab"? PT or Detox? By the example of seizure, I would say detox. I think this is correct, however, he mentioned elderly pts as well....see next question

Is this a freestanding facility? There are 2 different facilities a few miles apart. As far as I know, they are both freestanding. one may be detox and the other, assisted living

If this is a PT Rehab facility, are they accredited by CARF? will look into that

What is the price of hotel rooms? $42/night

I found the listing on Craigslist, but the recruiter said he found me on careerbuilder... http://phoenix.craigslist.org/hea/725749536.html

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I would contact your state EMS Division and services, as well whom it will be licensed under and whom (orders licensed physician?) etc. Then also contact Better Business Bureau to see if any complaints, etc.. a little investigation now will pay off for later..

Good luck!

R/r 911

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Ahem

http://allnurses.com/forums/f135/anybody-know-about-mga-health-care-222255.html

They are a temp recruiting and placement agency, body hustlers. Try to see what the employer you would be placed with has going. Is it common in Arizona to have EMT's taking care of this sort of patients? I know in California it is not, usually MA and LVN under RN's and a doc or PA/FNP. I worked detox in the county jail (total inmates approx 5,000) for six years, if you are conservative and scrupulous with medications and monitoring it is pretty commonplace, nowhere as dramatic as on TV.

OP
OP
Jeremy89

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
http://allnurses.com/forums/f135/anybody-know-about-mga-health-care-222255.html

They are a temp recruiting and placement agency, body hustlers. Try to see what the employer you would be placed with has going. Is it common in Arizona to have EMT's taking care of this sort of patients? I know in California it is not, usually MA and LVN under RN's and a doc or PA/FNP. I worked detox in the county jail (total inmates approx 5,000) for six years, if you are conservative and scrupulous with medications and monitoring it is pretty commonplace, nowhere as dramatic as on TV.

Yeah, I saw that forum....I was the last one to post on there as well... Not sure about how common it is around here, as I haven't had much exposure to healthcare, even though I've had my cert for almost 6 mo's. Pathetic, I know.