IV Tips and Tricks

EMS2014

Forum Ride Along
Hello,

Last week in class, we started learning how to obtain IV access. While I know that to get proficient at obtaining IVs, I will need a lot of practice. I have mild dexterity issues. My instructor feels that I can work thru these issues successfully. For those of you who also have mild dexterity issues or simply IV troubles in general: what tips, tricks or advice can you provide?

Thank you all for your time.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Dexterity issues? How so? Develop good timing...

IV tips in general have been discussed ad nauseum here, so try a search on the topic.

RavenMedic

Forum Ride Along
Hello, I happen to be very proficient in IVs. I happen to love doing them. I work in an Emergency Room as a medic and I do about 40 IVs a day. Sometimes when students come into ED to do interships I often teach them proper IV skills. 1 thing I must say that helps alot even before you pick up a catherter is before you start an IV on a patient is have all your supplies ready. You will develpo a systemic apporach and that will be your style. Start by tieing on the tourniquet and let the veins become full of blood. At this time pepare your pig tail or J loop along with fluses etc. second use alcohol and plenty of it not just to sterilize the area but when you use alcohol it makes veins come out mor. Next train your index or middle finger to feel the bounciness veins have learn were to look for them. Its kinda hard to explain through here. But just know that like anything with practice you will get better. Feel free to personal message me if you have any questions. Goodluck!

Brevi

Forum Crew Member
I like this video. There are hundreds of videos showing you slowly step by step, but this guy just sticks it in with minimal explanation.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hi4JNXdcHM[/YOUTUBE]

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
I struggled with IV's initially,, Define dexterity problems. Are you missing a finger or something on your hand? Or just feel like your fumbling around with the IV cath.

to gain proficiency initially I am sure your academy or school has the manikin hand that gives you the opppurtunity to attempt IV access on. Which is good for only one thing developing technique its nothing like starting an IV on a live person. But it helps you when your developing a system that works for you. I would ask if I can come into class early and practice on the manikin arm. Have your instructor critique your technique.

WHen it comes to the field. I limit myself in a few things such as selecting a site. I go for the first looks good site if I don't I'll sit and nit pick which vein I want to choose looking for perfection.

Brevi

Forum Crew Member
I think everyone fudges IV's for the first bit. I think this is one of those learn by doing things.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Practice, practice, practice. Practice on the IV arms that most programs have. They are nice to be able to get used to dealing with the catheters.

Once you get comfortable with that the next step is to practice on actual patients/students.

In my medic program we just finished doing live sticks on other students. Each student has ~5 live sticks. Sadly we are done doing live sticks until we start our clinical rotations in a couple of months.

cfd3091

Forum Crew Member
Yeah you'll get better. When I did my clinical time I worked with the same Nurse a lot. She once said"You learn more from the ones you miss". My reply that day was "Well then I must be a genius today". Now I only miss the ones most folks struggle with and rarely. Never when it's critical and we need this line.

OregonEMT

Forum Probie
When I was learning IV's my main downfall was over-thinking the process. It's a definite technique that you will develop with practice. One of the biggest mistakes I notice is people either incorrectly pulling downward traction or forgetting it all together.

You will hear this a lot but practice practice and practice some more!

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Yeah you'll get better. When I did my clinical time I worked with the same Nurse a lot. She once said"You learn more from the ones you miss". My reply that day was "Well then I must be a genius today". Now I only miss the ones most folks struggle with and rarely. Never when it's critical and we need this line.
Too true. You do learn from the ones you miss. You have an opportunity to go over the reasons why you missed. Perhaps you went too deep or perhaps the vein rolled and you need to secure it better. Perhaps the vein looked good but didn't feel right but you tried anyway.

It will take a while before you get somewhat comfortable doing IV starts. Then the real fun begins... it will take more sticks before you become Yoda good. How will you know you're that good? Other people will turn to YOU for those hard sticks.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
What the simulator is best for is everything but locating a vein and hitting it. Use repetition and feedback so preparation and order of actions becomes second nature. Like housepainting, it's AT LEAST 80% ancillary and a little of the goal task.

The best way to learn to stick a vein is to stick veins with a good mentor. Being ready and confident with the steps leading to, and after, the stick itself will help.
And, like they said above, get that tourniquet tight and wait for the vein to come up. With practice you will wait less.

Oh, yeah, one more thing. If you learn through phlebotomy, don't try to thread an IV needle! (Your teacher will explain).

wildrivermedic

Forum Crew Member
Oh, yeah, one more thing. If you learn through phlebotomy, don't try to thread an IV needle! (Your teacher will explain).

On my clinical shift with phlebotomy, it took a while to get comfortable inserting the butterfly needle far enough that it didn't fall out with a big bloody mess. Then I started my next ER shift blowing right through veins until I readjusted. Phlebotomy was great for learning venous anatomy though.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
On my clinical shift with phlebotomy, it took a while to get comfortable inserting the butterfly needle far enough that it didn't fall out with a big bloody mess. Then I started my next ER shift blowing right through veins until I readjusted. Phlebotomy was great for learning venous anatomy though.
Especially if you also do the kids, grannys, and druggies!