It's an emergency vehicle, not a taxi : website

Sasha

Forum Chief
I found this site interesting as it has a billboard that some communities have done..

http://www.whentocall911.com/

Haha. The siren that plays when you click drove one of my dogs insane.

I also can't see this as being a good thing. I think it might discourage those who actually are experiencing a medical emergency, because they don't want to fill up resources for something they are convinced is "not that bad". Old people are so stubborn.

Last edited by a moderator:

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
The link does not seem to work for me. It just keeps loading and reloading!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
The link does not seem to work for me. It just keeps loading and reloading!

Time to call 911 then?
laught16.gif

medic417

The Truth Provider
I like it. They even provide contact information to other resources that the person may be able to use rather than the ambulance.

I really do feel EMS needs to get more proactive about educating the public about what needs an ambulance or ER. honestly both need to start saying no go to the clinic rather than transporting and clogging ER's with non emergencies.

medic417

The Truth Provider

Epi-do

I see dead people
I think it is a great idea. It is informative, provides examples of both emergencies and non-emergencies, and lists alternative resources. I think it is a step in the right direction when it comes to educating the public about when to use 911.

slawdawg

Forum Ride Along
ambulance not a taxi

I'm a firefighter/medic in a small city that has the same problem with people calling for an ambulance for non emergency issues. How would we go about getting the whentocall911.com ad placed on billboards?

terrible one

Always wandering
I like it. They even provide contact information to other resources that the person may be able to use rather than the ambulance.

I really do feel EMS needs to get more proactive about educating the public about what needs an ambulance or ER. honestly both need to start saying no go to the clinic rather than transporting and clogging ER's with non emergencies.

+ 1

EMS needs to be more proactive in public education. Although it certainley doesn't help when the fire department is there saying "well the ambulance is here you might as well go"

CheifBud

Forum Crew Member
Makes sense... won't change the world...

They just popped one of these up actually about a mile from where I took my EMT classes.

We get this problem a lot here but fortunately we don't have a HUGE call volume and (knock on wood) a relatively low percentage of those are trauma/life threatening anyways ( a good 35-45% of calls are DM patients who forget meds or forget to eat and instead of going for a sandwich they go for the phone to call me, that's a really expensive meal they get every time we show up)... Most of the time its these people that keep us in business. Not that I in anyway at all condone this but if I'm not on a call and some idiot wants to pay $$$$$$ for a ride to the hospital, sure, why not, Daddy needs a new trauma bag. We have two more rigs standing by for anything else.