is it a good idea...

SnaKiZe

Forum Crew Member
to gradually start taking medic classes at the local comm. college while I'm a full-time Biology Major at university this fall?

Just a thought I was having.

MedicBender

Forum Captain
I personally wouldn't. I spent a lot of time and dedicated a ton of hours to medic school, i couldn't imagine taking more classes on top of it.

Then again our college arranged it so that it was one class that was worth 14 credits. I haven't seen any colleges that break it down into smaller classes (EKG 101 - 3 credits, Trauma 101 - 3 credits, and so on) Most of them usually have one class.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Focus on getting your BS and getting a good GPA, along with a strong liberal arts education, then you can think about becoming a medic. Ultimately, your BS in going to get you further than a paramedic certificate, it costs more to get and your GPA is much more important.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
How close are you to finishing your degree?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Aren't you trying to get into med school? Focus on that.

I'm with MedicBender, I spend the majority of my time that I'm not in school or at work studying or doing homework for Medic School.

izibo

Forum Crew Member
Aren't you trying to get into med school? Focus on that.

I'm with MedicBender, I spend the majority of my time that I'm not in school or at work studying or doing homework for Medic School.

Where are you going? Arizona, ASU, or out of state?

Also, as others have said - if you ultimately want to be a physician, getting good grades in undergrad is the absolute highest priority. If you really MUST be a paramedic, here is what I did: Took a heavy course load freshman and sophomore year, did my medic my junior year while only taking one or two courses per semester at the university, and finished up my degree senior year. It worked out well.

OP
OP
S

SnaKiZe

Forum Crew Member
Where are you going? Arizona, ASU, or out of state?

Also, as others have said - if you ultimately want to be a physician, getting good grades in undergrad is the absolute highest priority. If you really MUST be a paramedic, here is what I did: Took a heavy course load freshman and sophomore year, did my medic my junior year while only taking one or two courses per semester at the university, and finished up my degree senior year. It worked out well.

I'll be going to Arizona.
&& as it is now, I could probably get my medic doing 'full time' here at Arizona and medic classes my senior year since I am a year and a half ahead of the rest of my class.

Edit:
But now that I think about it, I think it'd be better to forgo the medic training and pick up an extra major my senior year since I'll essentially be done with my Biology BS by then.
Physiology seems good, especially since it's only an extra 30credits to get a 2nd degree after the first initial bachelors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
That's a good idea. I've never understood getting your medic before going to medical school but thats just me. Although I know that a decent amount of emergency physicians do hold an EMT-P cert.

OP
OP
S

SnaKiZe

Forum Crew Member
That's a good idea. I've never understood getting your medic before going to medical school but thats just me. Although I know that a decent amount of emergency physicians do hold an EMT-P cert.

The way I see it is that it's just the flow of things =/
Or maybe its my naivety saying this, but maybe they were career EMS before they decided they wanted to go get their bachelors then off to med school?

Strap

Forum Crew Member
Or maybe its my naivety saying this, but maybe they were career EMS before they decided they wanted to go get their bachelors then off to med school?

That's the way Melissa's husband did it on Ghost Whisperer...just sayin'. :)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

It could be. I have heard that some hospitals require them to have it, but that could just be hearsay, seeing as I heard it haha.

The ones I have encountered maintain it along with their other multitude of licenses, certs, alphabet soup.

izibo

Forum Crew Member
They also have a solid fast paced medic program at UA/UMC. Worth looking in to, and it made doing both at he same time much easier.

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
If you have the chance and the means to get your degree, do it while you can. When you get to be in your 20s and have a EMS career and other life stuff to deal with it becomes very hard to get a degree. I have to juggle keeping up with calculus and history as well as trying to keep my EMS brain sharp by learning new things and reviewing old things. Not to mention females, booze and other assorted distractions :wacko: .