Is it a cool thing?

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
So today I had one of my ambulance shirts on, that display our agency name and what not(was not on call or responding, just wearin the shirt) And this kid(19) started talking to me. He was saying how what we do is so cool which started to annoy me. Its not cool, from my point of view I look at it as a profession this is what I am going to be doing till the day I croak over and need one of you guys to save me. And then he started talking about how he wanted to join an Ambulance to use it as experience before he goes to med school. Now im heated, now I know why so many of the older memebrs on here get frustrated when people try and use this as a stepping stone. I tried to explain that as an EMT their was really no benefit of working on an Ambulance espically because he was only USING IT AS A STEPPING STONE, he was so ignorant that he got disgusted with me, cursed me off and walked away. So I guess the question is this...
Was I wrong to try and explain to him that this is not something that you do because you think it is cool, or something to do so you have some good stories for your buddies, but somethign you do as a profession? Keep in mind I gave him the most respect you could give some one and was polite the whole time(as to not make us look bad.)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Bryan - Isn't the "Kid" your age?

Is it cool? Honestly - I think you think it is... otherwise you wouldn't show off that you run with XXXX company, because you wander around off duty wearing an agency shirt.

If your service is volunteer... you probably have the same volunteer shortage that everyone else has... why turn away volunteers - even if they will only be around for a few years.

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
Honestly, I wanted to get my EMT just to get some experience in the ER as a tech. I thought that would help me with nursing school. Well now that I'm 'in the field', I really like the pre-hospital care part and am seriously thinking about other options from here.

I think it can be used as a stepping stone, to a point, but it shouldn't be solely used for that. You should have a reason for doing that besides preparing yourself for med school. It is nice to get the patient contact and learn the basics of assessment but other than that, I don't know what he expected. I think you did the right thing by being honest. How he took it is his problem, not yours.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
So today I had one of my ambulance shirts on, that display our agency name and what not(was not on call or responding, just wearin the shirt) And this kid(19) started talking to me. He was saying how what we do is so cool which started to annoy me. Its not cool, from my point of view I look at it as a profession this is what I am going to be doing till the day I croak over and need one of you guys to save me. And then he started talking about how he wanted to join an Ambulance to use it as experience before he goes to med school. Now im heated, now I know why so many of the older memebrs on here get frustrated when people try and use this as a stepping stone. I tried to explain that as an EMT their was really no benefit of working on an Ambulance espically because he was only USING IT AS A STEPPING STONE, he was so ignorant that he got disgusted with me, cursed me off and walked away. So I guess the question is this...
Was I wrong to try and explain to him that this is not something that you do because you think it is cool, or something to do so you have some good stories for your buddies, but somethign you do as a profession? Keep in mind I gave him the most respect you could give some one and was polite the whole time(as to not make us look bad.)

I'm not trying to start anything here but it seems you're a little ignorant. There's nothing wrong with finding this field "cool" or using it as a stepping stone to a higher level of health care. I don't know why on Earth his comments offended you so much. Of course what we do is "cool"! We help people! You should have been grateful for the compliment.

Yeah, I think EMS is "cool" in some aspects, and every single person on here has shared stories about a "cool" call they went on. You can have a profession and find it "cool", in fact it's a damn good idea to go into a field you find "cool" or else you'll be kicking yourself every day you wake up in the morning for work.

Yes, there are some people who get into this field for entirely the wrong reasons. People who like to drive around with flashy lights and sirens. People who like to be seen as heroes. People who expect to be constantly saving the lives of beautiful young trauma patients on the brink of death. People who, when it comes down to it, don't give a damn about other people.

But in reality, most of us still appreciate the fact that despite the harsh realities of the job- drug-seekers, alcoholics, frequent fliers, poop, lack of respect, etc- there's still something damn cool about being an EMT, paramedic, what have you. There's nothing wrong with that.

And saying that's it's wrong to use EMS as a stepping stone to a higher level of care is like saying that people who work at McDonald's should never move up from the profession of flipping burgers to become a manager. As long as people take it seriously, learn from the job, and do well, why do you care if they eventually become a nurse or doctor or something else??

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I feel those that say this job is cool never really worked very much as an EMT. Is it "cool" to see granny with 3 days worth of old food in her mouth, is it cool to tell Grandpa that his wife over 50 years just died, or declare that baby with SIDS dead? Sounds cool so far?

No, this job is not cool or have a wow factor either. We don't fight death, nor do we ever really save anyone. We are there to handle a situation that someone else cannot do at the time. Meanwhile, if we are able to provide medical care at the same time.. then it is an added bonus.

We have enough..Wanna be's.. that wanna be this and wanna be that. Just go do that then, or do I like did and have two separate careers.

Have a level head. Enjoy your job and career that you are performing a service to others when needed. Remember they are to pay you for what you know, not so much you do. Study and learn continuously, so you will be the best they can receive, if and when needed.
I guess that is the cool part...

R/r 911

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
It's tough to categorize this job when you're not in it. Most people who don't do this think our job is all glitz, glamour, and what they've seen on the 'Paramedic' show that was on Discovery Health channel. I'd say about 5% of the job is the "cool" stuff where we get to play with our "toys", but be sure to let this prospective member about the harsh realities of the job as well. I wouldn't jump down someone's throat just because they think our job is "cool" versus a profession - especially when they've never stepped foot in an ambulance before. Heck, there is still a majority of the public that calls us "ambulance drivers".

There are also plenty of people who do this with the intention of going on in their careers to RN, PA, MD, etc. Yes it's annoying to see people use this as a stepping stone, and personally I think it's a waste of time if you're sitting through EMT classes when you could be taking college courses toward whatever it is you want to be. I'm sure he's not doing this for a funny story or two to tell his buddies. I truly think that some people do this to test the waters of the medical field - I mean if this guy can't make it through an EMT class, or can't handle the rigors of the job, I'm willing to bet that his dreams of medical school will be dropped with minimal time invested.

Anu

Forum Crew Member
There are also plenty of people who do this with the intention of going on in their careers to RN, PA, MD, etc. Yes it's annoying to see people use this as a stepping stone, and personally I think it's a waste of time if you're sitting through EMT classes when you could be taking college courses toward whatever it is you want to be. I'm sure he's not doing this for a funny story or two to tell his buddies. I truly think that some people do this to test the waters of the medical field - I mean if this guy can't make it through an EMT class, or can't handle the rigors of the job, I'm willing to bet that his dreams of medical school will be dropped with minimal time invested.[/QUOTE]

This is a very true statement and I think that you are absolutely right. In my first post to this forum I had asked about using EMS as a 'stepping stone' to others careers in healthcare, nursing and PA in particular. But after reading many of the posts put up here in the forum, and some personal research, I am starting to understand that although EMS plays a crucial role in the provision of medicine and patient care, it is nevertheless a distinct and seperate field within the health sector. EMS needs to be regarded as a profession by its own right.

Much of the antagonism towards BLS and EMT-B's might arise from the fact that many people using this training/education as an introduction to the healthcare system and the medical field. After riding on an ambulance and realizing that you do not want to provide patient care to your patients on the back of a bus, you decide to forgo training as a medic, and instead start thinking about going to nursing school. You could have done in the first place, but you felt you needed to get some 'hands on experience' and a 'taste for the field'. This is a great opportunity for many people - I am certainly not knocking those who choose to take this path. But it seems like in the long run these kinds of actions make it that much harder for EMS develop professionally; as people leave the field, its expasion is limited at it's highest professional level - that of ALS.

This does not mean that I don't think Paramedics should be limited to practicing Paramedicine only. Advancement in any field is a desire and necessity for most. But this is a whole other argument, and a much more complicated one. Let's say an EMT-P were paid the same salary as an RN - chances are they would be much more content in their position, provided with the adequate time and leisure necessary to become a more healthy, efficient, & productive worker. It might even provide the individual the opportunity to pursue research and build upon the knowledge base of EMS as an academic discipline! A necessity for the expansion and development of any field.

Hastings

Noobie
To be blunt, you acted like a :censored::censored::censored::censored:. Especially when he was paying you a direct compliment. You're the one giving EMS a bad name if anyone is. And not only that, but you gave inaccurate information.

Working as an EMT or Paramedic is fantastic experience for medical school or any other medical position, and he should be complimented for wanting to advance his education and standing instead of criticized for using it as a first step.

Really, as an EMT - especially when wearing that shirt in public - you should act as a respectable, model member of the community. And right then, you did not.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
Much of the antagonism towards BLS and EMT-B's might arise from the fact that many people using this training/education as an introduction to the healthcare system and the medical field. After riding on an ambulance and realizing that you do not want to provide patient care to your patients on the back of a bus, you decide to forgo training as a medic, and instead start thinking about going to nursing school. You could have done in the first place, but you felt you needed to get some 'hands on experience' and a 'taste for the field'. This is a great opportunity for many people - I am certainly not knocking those who choose to take this path. But it seems like in the long run these kinds of actions make it that much harder for EMS develop professionally; as people leave the field, its expasion is limited at it's highest professional level - that of ALS.

This does not mean that I don't think Paramedics should be limited to practicing Paramedicine only. Advancement in any field is a desire and necessity for most. But this is a whole other argument, and a much more complicated one. Let's say an EMT-P were paid the same salary as an RN - chances are they would be much more content in their position, provided with the adequate time and leisure necessary to become a more healthy, efficient, & productive worker. It might even provide the individual the opportunity to pursue research and build upon the knowledge base of EMS as an academic discipline! A necessity for the expansion and development of any field.

To an extent, you're right. I have no personal antagonism against basics, as they play a role in the grand machine that is EMS. However, with EMS being used as a "stepping stone", you're seeing people viewing EMS as a short-term educational/job opportunity versus a career. This doesn't pertain to just EMT's...I see paramedics who have no intention of working long-term on an ambulance. With EMS being a short-term job opportunity, the amount of well-trained personnel continues to be low, and continues to diminish how EMS is viewed as a legitimate profession in the eyes of long-term medical personnel (Doctors, RN's, PA's, etc.). Of course there are some docs and nurses out there who "get it", and understand the full capacity of the paramedic...but unfortunately more just look at us in the "ambulance driver" light, and fail to recognize fully what we do on a daily basis. I implore agencies to implement some sort of ride-along program to the nurses and doctors, as our agency did a few months ago. The results were astounding - the relationship between us, the nurses, and the doctors has strenghtened tremendously - most of the hospital personnel have no clue some of the situations we get into on a scene.

Fortunately there are some agencies that are attempting to expand the scope of practice for Paramedics - I just hope I'm still around to see this come to fruition, as this is something I look very forward to as my career growth is severely limited at this point. I s'pose this is a bit off the original topic...

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
It's tough to categorize this job when you're not in it. Most people who don't do this think our job is all glitz, glamor, and what they've seen on the 'Paramedic' show that was on Discovery Health channel.
is that show still on cause i loved it. no Bryan i think that you were right as far as setting him straight. that this is not "cool" all the time. it can be...intruiging, sometimes like a puzzle, but never really something you call cool unless you in it because you think that you will be in the paper one day under the Headline that reads Courageous Medic saves child's life" and suddenly all the girls want you. if he said that he wanted to do it before medic school i think you said, then good for him he shows interest, but after seeing about the word "cool" being used i don't think he knew what he was getting into other then thinking that it would bring a ton of glamor to his life.

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant
Im just going to put in my .02 Cents, But the first reason why I got interested in EMS was because I like to help people, The second Is because riding around in an ambulance, carrying a radio, and having lights on your car is COOL! It happens, im 19, and that played a big reason. Yes helping people was a bigger reason and now that Im in it im using it to further my career in the medical field by looking at what else I can do.

Essentially im like that kid you were talking about, as I read your statement I thought to myself, Why in the hell would you get heated because a kid thinks your cool? Do firefighters get heated because little kids admire their coolness? Do Cops?

And then secondly, why would it even upset you more that he wanted to be an EMT as a stepping stone in a medical career? Hell as its doing for me, It opened my eyes to all the other jobs there are out there that I would possibly enjoy and love by just doing this basic job.

I feel those that say this job is cool never really worked very much as an EMT. Is it "cool" to see granny with 3 days worth of old food in her mouth, is it cool to tell Grandpa that his wife over 50 years just died, or declare that baby with SIDS dead? Sounds cool so far?
No, Not at all. I'm not saying our job is simple at all. But hell, What about firefighters having to drag a corpse out of a building of a Man/Woman/Child? yea thats not cool either, But their job is still one of the biggest attractions to kids that see it as cool. Adults see it being cool also.

No, this job is not cool or have a wow factor either. We don't fight death, nor do we ever really save anyone. We are there to handle a situation that someone else cannot do at the time. Meanwhile, if we are able to provide medical care at the same time.. then it is an added bonus.
Your addressing the job in the most serious aspect, Which yes, It has. But take it from the general public. Shows like Scrubs, ER, etc all put a light onto the show that make people think its a cool field. Most understand that we do deal with death, but the things that we are taught and the way that we can help people is considered cool to them. "Cool" is defined by each person.

We have enough..Wanna be's.. that wanna be this and wanna be that. Just go do that then, or do I like did and have two separate careers.

Have a level head. Enjoy your job and career that you are performing a service to others when needed. Remember they are to pay you for what you know, not so much you do. Study and learn continuously, so you will be the best they can receive, if and when needed.
I guess that is the cool part...

R/r 911

Yes, keep a level head and enjoy your job. But still you haven't really said why people can not consider our job Cool? I consider it cool, Hell Extrication is cool, Riding an Ambulance is cool, Helping your community is cool.

Yes we deal with death and humanity at its worst, but that is no reason why people can't see our job as being cool. Most people can put cool as being something that is very useful to society and or the community. Hell that would make EMS Cool. Again it depends on the person.

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
Im just going to put in my .02 Cents, But the first reason why I got interested in EMS was because I like to help people, The second Is because riding around in an ambulance, carrying a radio, and having lights on your car is COOL!

Please tell me that after you've been in this a while you realized that POV lights are extremely dangerous, especially in the cars of adrenalin-junkies and youngsters.

Clibby

Forum Crew Member
EMS is very cool; idk what you are talking about. Yes we deal with many tough situations, death, and excrement; but in the end we are helping people. Not only that, for me, I find most of what we do to be cool. I enjoy not knowing what my next call will be and then learning about whatever it is. You can never know it all, no not even you medics out there. There is always something to be learned. Yes 90% of the calls are BS and the people are stressful to deal with, but every now and then you get the patient who is crashing for an unknown reason, the car vs. tree, the MCIs, etc. Your adrenaline starts flowing and you and your medic start compressions, insert airways, push meds, set up EKG s, run IVs, get the defib ready, board them, etc. Now this doesn't mean that I like people coding on me, nor does it mean that I sit around and do nothing, believe me when I say that my heart sinks on every MVA. But I do enjoy calls where I can make difference in the life of someone else; and that is cool. Other people also find that to be cool, which is why firefighters and cops are so respected by kids. They know that when they see a truck drive by with its lights on, someone is in trouble and there are men and women on that truck going to help them. If I didn't find that to be cool, then why would I be in this field? Why would my medic? Why are you?

VentMedic

Forum Chief
EMS is Yes 90% of the calls are BS and the people are stressful to deal with, but every now and then you get the

Those 90% BS patients might actually involve "patient care" as opposed to the list of "skills" that is usually associated with the EMS profession.

patient who is crashing for an unknown reason, the car vs. tree, the MCIs, etc.

Yes, these really "cool" calls while the patients with chronic illnesses, disabilities or the elderly nursing home patient are put into that 90% BS category. :rolleyes: Although many of the nursing home transports are the result of those "cool" calls. These patients may have been other EMS crews' "saves" but are now another crew's BS calls.

EMS providers keep using the phrase "helping their community" but also still use derogatory and even offensive terms to describe patients that don't fit the "cool" category's description of blood and twisted metal.

Your adrenaline starts flowing and you and your medic start compressions, insert airways, push meds, set up EKG s, run IVs, get the defib ready, board them, etc.

These skills are also used everyday by many other healthcare professionals who rarely need to mention them as the "cool" aspect of their jobs.

Children are attracted to the nice trucks and L/S. The attitudes and knowledge are what generate the respect from other medical professionals in the grown up world. Some EMS providers never grow up enough to see the responsibilty the job entails nor do they accept the responsibility to acquire more education to get beyond the flashy aspects of the job.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
These skills are also used everyday by many other healthcare professionals who rarely need to mention them as the "cool" aspect of their jobs.

Just for a quick clarification as to why other healthcare professionals do not see the advanced skills as "cool". They know the pain and suffering that is associated with them for the patients either by the procedure itself and/or by the disease or injury process that required the procedure.

Buzz

Forum Captain

I know of several medical schools that actually say applicants should take an EMT-B certification course prior to applying. Anyone seriously investigating a medical school is likely to run across that and will likely be trying everything they can do to give themselves a better chance getting in. It's taking more time away from what they could be doing to finish their degree, or they could just be taking it because they have quite a few credits left over that could be applied to whatever they want. With a school you're going to be applying to recommending you take one, I don't see how someone is expected to just ignore that or to catch :censored::censored::censored::censored: for doing what they are told they should do.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
I think some here are splitting hairs a bit over the term "cool". Trying to describe an industry with a single adjective can take on all kinds of variables and as this thread can attest... opinions.

EMS is on the forefront of every major incident in this country in one form or another. And some cases a part of history itself. Every call is different and there is always the possibility of adventure on the next one. Not too many jobs provide that kind of variety and anticipation.

It does take a certain mindset to be in this business and unfortunately there are many who should not be in EMS. There is nothing wrong in being excited about your work. Call it cool, exciting, adventurous, f***ing awesome, or whatever.

Call it whatever best gives you the drive to see the next patient in a good situation or bad. And we have all seen the bad ones; and gang there will always be the bad ones until we cease to exist on this planet.

As for me? Yeah, this is a pretty cool business to be in. It's cool to watch the advancement of EMS as I have over the last thirty years. It's cool to see today's protocols that I could only dream of in the 70's. It's cool to see the standards of EMS education morph into what they are today. It's cool to see how electronics have improved care in the pre-hospital setting. It's cool to watch a machine do chest compressions for you. It's cool to be writing about this very subject and transmitting it in seconds for anyone in the world to see.

Yes, oh yes, EMS can be a cool thing. It's all about how one looks at the whole picture... the whole picture.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
As for me? Yeah, this is a pretty cool business to be in. It's cool to watch the advancement of EMS as I have over the last thirty years. It's cool to see today's protocols that I could only dream of in the 70's. It's cool to see the standards of EMS education morph into what they are today. It's cool to see how electronics have improved care in the pre-hospital setting. It's cool to watch a machine do chest compressions for you. It's cool to be writing about this very subject and transmitting it in seconds for anyone in the world to see.

The 70s had way more cool protocols than today although most of the invasive procedures have gone by the wayside. Anyone for Pulp Fiction trivia and an old EMS procedure?B)

As far as education is concerned, that is a very disappointing part of history as it has evolved or didn't for the most part. In the late 1970s, the Associates degree for the Paramedic was being pushed since that was also the same time the RNs were moving away from the diploma. The mid 1980s gave way to the Medic Mills.

The "Thumper" has been around for at least 25 years but that can be disputed if it is a good thing.

Some electronics are nice and some have made people stupid when it comes to hands on assessment. Without the advancement of education, many electronic assessment tools are little more than gadgets to show how little is actually known about the purpose they serve.

OP
OP
CFRBryan347768

CFRBryan347768

Forum Captain
Bryan - Isn't the "Kid" your age?

Is it cool? Honestly - I think you think it is... otherwise you wouldn't show off that you run with XXXX company, because you wander around off duty wearing an agency shirt.

If your service is volunteer... you probably have the same volunteer shortage that everyone else has... why turn away volunteers - even if they will only be around for a few years.

Because if you pay attention to any posts other then this you would realize that I am not JUST getting my EMT. Secondly it wasn't wandering it was an organized event. Lastly, we are volunteer/paid and we do not have a shortage of volunteers, but do infact have most of them trying to take paid shifts.

Zeke

Forum Ride Along
That's to some degree what I took it for. That and it's just something that felt right to me. I really don't see the problem with it as long as the person is driven, good at what they do, and committed to their work. I'd even think that any doc that's been an EMT in the field would treat us better after they've been where we have. It's an excellent stepping stone into other careers, but to call such does to some degree belittle it. EMS is not a training field. It's not a hobby. It's more serious than that. But to discount someone 'cause they don't plan on being in it forever is a little unfair.

I've seen a fair number of people take a Basic course just for the higher level first-aid and have no intention of setting foot in the field, they just wanted the knowledge should they ever be in a position to use it.

Also, sometimes people don't have other words for how to describe things. "Cool" can mean anything. I know I called it cool at one point. What I really meant was "respectable".

I probably would've given the kid a break. He most likely hasn't found the gamut of specialties and occupations in the health field. As far as he knows life is like scrubs- Doctors>Nurses>Orderlies+EMT's. Once he gets into it he'll realize how many directions he can take. He'll probably give up the doctor dream (IIRC, about 6% of kindergartners said they wanted to be a doc during the mid 90's) like a lot of people once he finds something he actually likes.

Just my .01