Is a compact, pocket sized AED possible ?

djones44

Forum Probie
The smallest unit I'm aware of that is on the market is the FRED Easyport AED, made by a Swiss company, Schiller. It is not approved for use in the US yet by the FDA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D95hN1CG90Q

Thank you for that, I'm trying to get AEDs approved to be carried in passenger elevators like the emergency phones are now - elevAED.com.

Concept: what would you have to add to an iPad (or iPhone) to turn it into an AED? The cables and pads, obviously, but I suspect the battery is close to functional, you have a nice display, strong processor - would adding a dedicated circuit do it? Touch screen defibrillation- why not?

Then all you'd need is to carry around the cables as a "distinctive" bolo-tie with amulet (pads). :)

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I imagine any modern smartphone has the processing power to analyze a heart rhythm and run a defibrillator. To make a smartphone or an iPad into a defibrillator, you would just need the pads and the battery/capacitor pack.

djones44

Forum Probie
I imagine any modern smartphone has the processing power to analyze a heart rhythm and run a defibrillator. To make a smartphone or an iPad into a defibrillator, you would just need the pads and the battery/capacitor pack.

I took a look at the Schiller Easyport mentioned and it is amazing - 5" square and one pound. Not approved for the US yet, of course.

I can see them being mass produced for about $300 or rented for very little per month, in which case people with heart problems could keep one in their purse or glove compartment, and let those around them know it's there.

The perfect gift for whackers - wow - an illegal defib!

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
Concept: what would you have to add to an iPad (or iPhone) to turn it into an AED? The cables and pads, obviously, but I suspect the battery is close to functional, you have a nice display, strong processor - would adding a dedicated circuit do it? Touch screen defibrillation- why not?

It's a cool idea, but the hurdle is FDA regulatory clearance. The iPad/iPhone is not an approved medical device and the FDA may be reluctant to approve a "high risk" device that needs to be plugged into an iPhone (AEDs are considered FDA Class III medical devices, the highest level of regulatory category).

I can see them being mass produced for about $300 or rented for very little per month

Unfortunately, the cost of Schiller Easyport is actually very high right now - over USD$ 3,000 if converted from the current Euro amount. My favorite AED, which was pulled from the market, is still the AccessAED from Access Cardiosystems because of the revolutionary size and cost. The cost of the unit was about $1,000 if I recall correctly. Unfortunately, the company had to close because the AED market is really competitive right now, and the company had some very expensive legal/patent challenges to its products from a number of big wig defib companies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p7c3-cI7ZI

djones44

Forum Probie
It's a cool idea, but the hurdle is FDA regulatory clearance. The iPad/iPhone is not an approved medical device and the FDA may be reluctant to approve a "high risk" device that needs to be plugged into an iPhone (AEDs are considered FDA Class III medical devices, the highest level of regulatory category).

Very true, cellphones have been known to have batteries low on charge from time to time...

Still, it would be neat to have a cheap supplementary device that could plug into a mobile device to access its processor, memory, dedicated software app, and battery. It would add the capacitor, ASIC chip and pads, which could be packaged flat and integrated into a thicker iPhone case.

It could have a *****y chip on board that hounded the user about the charge level, or shut it down when it wasn't high enough? :)

If it had a function whereby someone with a heart condition felt an arrest coming on, or a seizure, if they could manage to tap its screen they could initiate the device sounding an alarm and instructing bystanders on how to use it to intervene? It would probably be the first time an SCA victim saved themselves with an AED..

It's true that the Feed and Drug people would balk, but maybe not in China or Europe. If the result was ubiquitous AEDs using this $100 add-on, it would be worthwhile. The goal is not FDA purity, it's saving lives, and they'll have to be astute about that.

Unfortunately, the cost of Schiller Easyport is actually very high right now - over USD$ 3,000 if converted from the current Euro amount.

It's about a grand more than quality AEDS like the FRx, and surely this would come down if there was imminent competition and production climbed. I think a lot of boomers would lease them or build them into their cars, as an example.

As they become more of a commodity, and globally distributed, the FDA will have to weigh public safety vs product safety, which are not the same thing.

I am advocating for AEDs to be installed in elevators with elevator code regulators, and they have to choose between an AED on the elevator decreasing elevator safety vs. the obvious increase in public heart safety.

It's hard for them because they're very conservative, of necessity, but the public's safety will hopefully over-ride their concerns. With 400K dying annually in the US of SCA, a negative decision could leave blood on their hands...

Last edited by a moderator:

John E

Forum Captain
???

how many people die in elevators each year?

John E

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
how many people die in elevators each year?

John E

I think the idea makes a lot of sense actually to put AEDs in an elevator. We always struggle to find out the "best" place to put an AED in a building - particularly high rises where "vertical response times" may be very long and you might not have the funds for 1 AED on every floor. Putting an AED in an elevator is a great awareness tool because so many people use the elevator in the course of a day, so they are more likely to realize where the unit is. If a cardiac arrest does in fact occur, laypersons in the building know that all they need to do is summon an elevator and hey, there is the AED. Also, since so many elevators have cameras in them already, it might help with deterring theft.

Also, if you are able to push the buttons to get into and out of an elevator, it's a pretty good bet you have the psychomotor skills to use an AED. :p

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
Honestly im surprised a pocket sized is not currently on the market. If you think of implanted pacemaker/defibs, they need batteries after 3-5 years and on 1 battery can deliver multiple shocks, I personally watched a family member in v-tach get shocked 35 times By theirs, when they accessed the unit by computer it had registered 5 something shocks and still had plenty of battery left. the only issue would be the pads. But give it time well see one.

djones44

Forum Probie
Honestly im surprised a pocket sized is not currently on the market. If you think of implanted pacemaker/defibs, they need batteries after 3-5 years and on 1 battery can deliver multiple shocks, I personally watched a family member in v-tach get shocked 35 times By theirs, when they accessed the unit by computer it had registered 5 something shocks and still had plenty of battery left. the only issue would be the pads. But give it time well see one.

I see that the Schiller one has been out since 2005, I believe. But pricing for it is high - $2-3K.

Does anyone know its history, or what the current marketing status of it is? Is it still made or??