is a broken arm an ALS or BLS call?

• ALS (with Paramedics)

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • BLS (EMT only)

Votes: 79 70.5%

• Total voters

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
as someone who has had 10/10 atraumatic back pain off and on forever, I can say when it's hurting, and I can't move, I would love some pain meds. and you filed a formal complaint with his agency, and demanded corrective action be taken against this medic, because he was not acting in the best interests of his patient, nor was he following the current standard of care... right? if you didn't, then you seem to be a keyboard commando, who is more than willing to judge and complain about people online, but when an actual wrong occurs, you don't do a thing to actually rectify the situation.If I had been in your position, I would have driven back to the station, and told my manager that I refuse to work with someone who clearly has no business being on an ambulance. That person should be stripped of their certification and terminated. I am not saying that all pain should be treated by narcotics (in fact, I think quite the opposite), but to refuse to give narcs under any circumstances? Nope, I'm not working with a provider like that.

And i think everyone should read from page 1 to the current one, to see that many of the opinions are identical to what is being said now.

oh, and @Phillyrube, we teach every student how to splint in my EMT class. I am usually the evaluator, and all of my students know that I don't care how pretty it is, as long as it actually immobilizes the injury.

Im not spending the time breaking all of that down.

"as someone who has had 10/10 atraumatic back pain off and on forever" -- Do you notice how I put " " around my 10/10. Those are quotes, where "air quotes" go when they land. I have three slipped disks and five Fxs that didn't heal right. I haven't not been in pain, to some degree, since I hit the pavement ten years ago. There's real pain and ******** pain. The distinction when presented textually is the presence, or absence, of quotes.

and you filed a formal complaint with his agency... -- Yes, I did. It was not well-received, being that I was a remote former employee of his current employer and employed by a commercial competitor.

if you didn't, then you seem to be a keyboard commando... -- So yeah, I guess you can eat a fat one right there bud.

if I had been in your position, I would have driven back to the station... -- Blah, blah, blah. Sure you would have. And I bet you'd still have done exactly that if you were a basic that had been hired by that company about a week ago and was down to the decision between rent and food. I'm sure you would have stormed right into the bosses office and like a biggun in the locker room just flat out said "Fire that guy who has worked here for twenty years because I think he's a hack(and all my internet friends think so too...). I chose to keep my job and let him carry his own water; so I bow at your altar of resoluteness. I Am Not Worthy.

I don't quite recall which argument it was that lit the fire under your backside about me, but if you're going to spend the time busting my apple bag on every post, would you at the very least do me the courtesy of reading for comprehension and offering rebuttals that are more than hollow, self aggrandizing ethics hypothetical.

----

Since there seems to be a comprehension issue, I reread my post. I must be missing the part where I wrote that I give every patient 100 of fent before I get their name. I looked all over, but the part where I wrote a nine year old with a skinned knee will need to be intubated by the time I'm done medicating her.

Obviously there are patients that don't need or want narcotic analgesics. Those people aren't going to get them from me, and shouldn't from anybody else. The people I'm talking about, partly in subtext anybody with access to narcotics and sharp things should be able to follow without a Frommers guide, are the people that should get narcotics, maybe ask for them(and maybe they don't) but don't get them because of a BS excuse.

The point I'm trying to make is that some medics are very proud of the fact that their bar for narcs is so high they never reach it and I think it should be legal to take those people out back and kick them until they piss blood and BLS em to the hospital. We shouldnt run around dosing everybody we see, but I'm not hard to impress. If someone needs to see broken bones and scorched flesh to make a patient feel better, I'm fine with the fact we just aren't going to get along.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Play nice or become the focus of my complete and undivided attention.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
An isolated extremity fracture is BLS all day long.

As someone else pointed out, most of them arrive by POV anyway, and many of them a day or two after they happen.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
An isolated extremity fracture is BLS all day long.

As someone else pointed out, most of them arrive by POV anyway, and many of them a day or two after they happen.
And usually because a family member insisted on them going to the ER instead of their PCP.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
Be sure to tell all your nursing instructors this philosophy and share widely while on clinical...it will bring you much success. :)

I oversimplified that thought process with that statement.. Pain should be assessed and treated appropriately, obviously..

I believe I stole that quote from Sam Quinones book "Dreamland".

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
If I break something I want to not feel it.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
In our area a PCP is going to send them to the ER. Just as well avoid another stop.
Same here or at least send them to an urgent care.

When I broke my leg, I would have loved some pain meds right away but the only way someone is going to call 911 for me is over my dead body.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
I’ve broken plenty. Pain is managed at many levels by many people. Your comment makes it sound like we enjoy torturing our patients.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
I’ve broken plenty. Pain is managed at many levels by many people. Your comment makes it sound like we enjoy torturing our patients.
That's the weird zeitgeist of our time...there is this weird witch hunt mentality where if someone perceives an adverse event or outcome, a nefarious motive is established... if something bad happens, someone did something bad....this is projected on actual bad things and completely legitimate actions....if a bias can be confirmed...all bets are off and it doesn't matter who gets hurt because an agenda has been advanced.

It's really nothing new as the med-mal industry is based on it....BLM, antifia, medical malpractice....it's all a page out of the same play book....

FiremanMike

Just a dude
I’d be happy to help. Others here seem to be more the sit and watch you suffer for their own perverse enjoyment...
Dude drop the attitude for a minute. I’ve seen numerous people trying to have actual discussions about their viewpoints and I’ve seen no one say they flat out wouldn’t give pain meds.

Last edited:

FiremanMike

Just a dude
I would encourage everyone in this thread to read Dreamland.. It definitely makes you rethink your current pain management ethos.

Last edited:

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
That's the weird zeitgeist of our time...there is this weird witch hunt mentality where if someone perceives an adverse event or outcome, a nefarious motive is established... if something bad happens, someone did something bad....this is projected on actual bad things and completely legitimate actions....if a bias can be confirmed...all bets are off and it doesn't matter who gets hurt because an agenda has been advanced.

It's really nothing new as the med-mal industry is based on it....BLM, antifia, medical malpractice....it's all a page out of the same play book....

Yes, and there's another playbook that calls for sidestepping responsibility and blaming others.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Dude drop the attitude for a minute. I’ve seen numerous people trying to have actual discussions about their viewpoints and I’ve seen no one say they flat out wouldn’t give pain meds.
Not (necessarily) taking a side here but doesn’t categorizing this as a BLS call effectively equal refusing to give pain meds?