Is 56 too old to become an EMT?

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
I also started as an EMT in my mid 50s (retired military) and am now working as a medic. Not a big deal, although going back to college at my age meant that I was the creepy old dude on campus. ;)
I'm back in school at 56 and smoking the younger crowd. Loving every minute of it!

Noobie Nick

Forum Ride Along
Just starting week 5 of EMT-B. I'm 34 and the next oldest is 54. So far he and I are ranked 1 and 2 respectively in the class. Being in decent shape is important though but other than that age doesn't mean a whole lot except that us older guys and gals are a little more disciplined and weathered than our younger classmates.

2012asic

Forum Ride Along
I am 54 and recently certified as EMT and working full time for an agency. Preparing to begin A&P as my prereq for medic school in 2015. My employer hired me quick and looked at my age/life expierence as a plus. But mind you, I am in good physical shape and extremely focused on being the best I can be. Here is to all individuals that show the world that it is indeed never too late to learn, grow and kick ***!

CateM

Forum Ride Along
I'm glad someone asked this question. I'm 49 and am planning to start certification at hopefully 51. I've worked six years in social services (homeless) dealing with security issues and first aid/CPR. I found out I like helping people/training people more than enforcing rules. So it's good to know that people my age are going back to college. I was really anxious about it.

Knuckles

Forum Probie
I’m not much younger than you, upgraded to AEMT 2 years ago and I’m currently working on my Paramedic. Never too old.

Knuckles

Forum Probie
what do you think about a 56-year old woman looking for a career change? I'm little (5 ft 2, 105 lbs) but strong & fit. Been working all my life mostly at jobs that are so boring & meaningless. Couple times in my life I've had to step up during an emergency and wow, loved it- not what happened but that I could help someone like that. Any training that takes more than a year max is out, can't afford to be out of work that long. Think EMT is a pipe dream for me?

Most EMS classes can be done in the evening. I work full time now and attend classes to become a Paramedic two nights a week. Total course is 15 months. It’s doable if your heart is in it.

CateM

Forum Ride Along
what do you think about a 56-year old woman looking for a career change? I'm little (5 ft 2, 105 lbs) but strong & fit. Been working all my life mostly at jobs that are so boring & meaningless. Couple times in my life I've had to step up during an emergency and wow, loved it- not what happened but that I could help someone like that. Any training that takes more than a year max is out, can't afford to be out of work that long. Think EMT is a pipe dream for me?

I'm going to second what Knuckles said. Check out all of the community colleges in your area. There are schedules that will fit around yours. For example, our local EMT B program has a schedule where courses are either one full day of classes or two days a week. Then the EMT P program is a two-year program where you can take your courses at night or on Saturday. Just do a little digging and you will find something that works for you.

MackTheKnife

You could absolutely do it, however, I would suggest looking at nursing school simply because of the pay difference and the slightly lower risk of injury.
This is great advice. Go RN and think about medic. I went to nursing school at 58 and then challenged the paramedic exam in FL.

MackTheKnife